Ideas on taking apart cooling fins with copper tubing in them

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the correct name for these. I got these from old coolers that came from a grocery store. I have been cutting the copper tube off about 6 inches back and then twisting and pulling and finally getting it out. I wonder if somebody has taken these apart before and has a better way. I have several of these and the way I am doing it will take a lot of time. Thanks

Attachments

• fins1.JPG
    fins1.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • fins2.JPG
    fins2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 772

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
I salvage those all the time from old a/c units that we have to remove from roofs during a reroof. I don't know a way to get the tubing out that would make it worthwhile. I just cut the iron off the ends and leave the coils as is. I'll then pop the copper U pieces off the iron end plate. They used to bring about $1.35 a pound if they were cleaned like that but last time I checked it was only paying arond $.45 a pound. I have stacks of these old aluminum/copper coils I am saving until the price returns to over $1.00 a pound.

OP
OP
dumpdigger

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These arn't like the household airconditioners that have steel on the ends. The tubing is just pressed in. I do the same as you on the smaller units. These probably started out 15 to 18 feet long.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
I use the same method with the larger coils from large roof top compressors (like large freezers and such). I have not ever had one that you could just pull the copper tubes out. I have the evaporative coils from a 15 ton unit sitting in my garage. I might see if I can figure out a way to pull the tubes out. Good luck and let me know if you figure anything new out.

OP
OP
dumpdigger

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking you meant small units but I guess you weren't. I can probably pull a foot at a time at the most but it's a lot of work. I just pull a few at a time and go on to something else. If I had bunches of them I would just chop them down to size and haul them in that way like you do. I might do it anyhow. Thanks for your imput.

stinkweed

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2007
2 things I've done to get the tubing out of a/c coils

1: use a circular saw with a metal cutting disk
set the depth very shallow and cut across the fins along the top of each tube
then fold the fins back and pull out the copper
this works best if you actually nick the copper with the blade

2: use a sawzall to cut the fins along the side of each tube
lay the coil on a couple of stacked pallets and stand on it while you cut
this one's a real back breaker

hard work, i don't know if it was worth it

Lethal

Sep 12, 2008
Sawzall is the way to go. My dad uses it and cuts along the tubes so the Aluminum falls off.

Jay-in-Pa

Jan 12, 2007
NE Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
A good hot fire will melt the aluminum off and it will be left in puddles in the ashes, the copper pipe is ready to go just don't roast marshmellows or hotdogs over the same fire.

Jay

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
Jay-in-Pa said:
A good hot fire will melt the aluminum off and it will be left in puddles in the ashes, the copper pipe is ready to go just don't roast marshmellows or hotdogs over the same fire.

Jay

Yup, thats what I do, plus such pretty colors! Sit around the fire with a bottle of Boonesfarm and relive the 60's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread