What's new

Identification Tag

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found the other half of this tag. The tag is brass and is 1 3/4 x 7/8 inches and reads, FOR IDENTIFICATION, No. 5848, THE Columbia Co., E Broadway, New York. I could not find any information about it.
 

Attachments

  • ID Tag.webp
    ID Tag.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 371
Are there any solder marks on the back? If there are 2 it could be a pin of some type. If there are 4 or more I would say and equipment tag that was soldered on the piece of equipment. I'm leaning toward equipment tag though
 
Upvote 0
I wonder how it was attached? I still think it's an ID tag of a piece of equipment. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone will know for sure.
 
Upvote 0
You know what the sleeve comment made me think of something. I've seen personal ID tags from the early to mid 1900's that were in plastic folders. They would have a photo on one side and a brass ID tag on the other. That is probably what it is. I was checking and I think there was a Columbia Mortgage company at E Broadway New York. It could have been an ID tag to an employee of that company.
 
Upvote 0
I couldnt find it either. There was a Colombia Phonograph Co. on Broadway I think. not sure. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
DUH The Columbia Mortgage company was at 11 East Broadway but was in Columbia MO. Sorry guys. :tongue3: :tongue3:
I don't know that I've seen any tag with those specific words on it.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
You know what the sleeve comment made me think of something. I've seen personal ID tags from the early to mid 1900's that were in plastic folders. They would have a photo on one side and a brass ID tag on the other. That is probably what it is. I was checking and I think there was a Columbia Mortgage company at E Broadway New York. It could have been an ID tag to an employee of that company.

VaYank, I've seen some similar to that too. In my Dad's keepsake box, I found his ID tag from the Newport News Shipyard. He was an employee there during WWII. His was a thick paper ID with his photo with a round metal ID tag, all in a plastic folder/sleeve. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Columbia bicycles? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Maybe an ID tag for a columbia phonograph?
Bill
 
Upvote 0
B|lker said:
Maybe an ID tag for a columbia phonograph?
Bill
That's what popped into my head when I saw it. They also made Gramophones & other musical machinery. There was a Columbia Automobile Company as well but they were from Hartford CT. Unfortunately Columbia is a VERY common name. Records, bicycles, etc.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom