Identify?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just a rock? Was walking a river gravel bar with my daughter and came across this. It's smooth and different colored/composition/shape then the surrounding mostly yellowish limestone colored rocks that are abundant here in the Karst region. Found in SE Minnesota's driftless area.

I haven't searched for Native American artifacts since i was a kid and found some arrowheads but recently started looking again.

IMG_0767[1].JPG
IMG_0764[1].JPG
IMG_0765[1].JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot dimensions, it's about 6" x 2.5"

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loaf of bread? Wife beater?

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
But the question is whether it was likely to have been used for something. This

Was walking a river gravel bar with my daughter and came across this. It's smooth and different colored/composition/shape then the surrounding mostly yellowish limestone colored rocks that are abundant here in the Karst region. Found in SE Minnesota's driftless area.
suggests it was.

If not, what was it doing there since it wasn't a natural component of the lithic background ?

FWIW

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought it might have been some sort of pestle type tool like these. It sure stood out due to its smoothness, size and color but its probably just wishful thinking since we have so much native american artifacts around here its easy to think they all are.

pestel2.jpg
pestel3.jpg
pestel.jpg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
looks natural to me too, but you never know 100%. Are there any peck marks visible anywhere?

You would know better than we, you have it in hand. If you think it was based on personal experience and the find context, then it could have been.

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks natural to me too, but you never know 100%. Are there any peck marks visible anywhere?

You would know better than we, you have it in hand. If you think it was based on personal experience and the find context, then it could have been.

I'm a amateur collector who hasn't collected since my teens so my judgement isn't to be relied upon. I don't see any obvious peck marks. Back to nature goes this rock....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions