If I could make a livin out of huntin you... Id be?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
If I could make a livin out of huntin you... I'd be?

Ok if you don't listen to country music you have no idea what I was refering to up there. But I want to post an I wonder question. Could a single, jobless guy make a living coin roll hunting and metal detecting. While I am pretty sure that silver finds alone could not earn you a living could it if you add in sales of say newly released coins like 2009 dime boxes etc. And could you do it if you metal detected and found a gold ring or diamond ring every month. I for one think it could bring in enough to eake out a modest lifestyle. Interested to hear you thoughts here guys and gals. What if you chose to ride a bike instead of car? What if you house was paid for or your car. You had all the time in the world to just find treasure. Would any of you be tempted to live a lifestyle like this? I think I would but maybe if I could give myself a day off or something. LOL.

Golden Silver

Upvote 0
Re: If I could make a livin out of huntin you... I'd be?

I am happy by just hunting part time

Slowly it adds up

Darth Walker

I couldn't do it as I don't have a metal detector and I have way too many dry spells. Besides, for me this is just a hobby that I've been doing quite a bit of lately, as my wife and I are currently unemployed (well, I'm PT temp. now, but that will end very soon) and job searching. I wouldn't want to do this full-time, even if it could pay well. There are way too many uncertanties and dry spells. I want to use my skills and passion to benefit the environment and society.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

If you were of retirement age on social security and had medicare you could supplement your income a bit with it. The unreliability of it is a problem. I work full time and have a flexible schedule with full benefits thus I am able to put in about ten hours a week into it. I have been pretty lucky and established a system early so I can still get boxes that are not always skunks. But I just enjoy it and haven't really "cashed in" beyond selling a bunch of mint rolls of modern coinage...which I spent on key date indian cents!

Maine_Jim

Silver hunting can pay dividends at least, it is a pure luck of the draw but keeping flow volume up increases ones odds; it is a struggle to juggle things like limited funds and uncooperative Banks to keep Box flows up. Road trips just cost too much, you know wear & tear on car to do it the returns are marginal at best of course do not do enough of it to know for sure, but Boxes don't cost anything to get and we are struggling to maintain 40 to 50 Boxes a month, at this volume with luck & rising Silver prices one can survive doing this- we are.

Obediah, are you saying that this is your main source of income right now? If you are my hat is off to you. I wonder how many others on this website are making ends meet with this hobbie.

Golden Silver

I have contemplated how I could but the way the scenario played out in my head I would likely be killed for my hunting $$$ or have to kill people defending it considering where I could afford to live. For now it is keeping ME afloat till "O" makes us all millionaires, then we're all screwed. HH all, Mark

There may be a time in the near future when this may be our only income. Right now its all for fun, hopefully its adding up to supplement my income in the future.

"There may be a time in the near future when this may be our only income. Right now its all for fun, hopefully its adding up to supplement my income in the future. "

It will never come to that. At this time several federally funded rickshaw factories are being built across the nation which will create thousands of jobs. There will also be a great need for coolies to pull the rickshaws. I guess the plan is to create jobs, cut down on global warming, and provide a green type of transportation, for rich tourists from what used to be third world countries.
It is also rumored that we are going to have a currency change, and that coins will be replaced by glass beads, sea shells, pieces of mirror, and other shiny objects. :laughing7:

golden silver said:
Obediah, are you saying that this is your main source of income right now? If you are my hat is off to you. I wonder how many others on this website are making ends meet with this hobbie.

Golden Silver

NO, am not making a living now for over year been unemployed livin off savings & what can make piddling so to speak, am supplementing by selling Coins now; have though cut back ALL unnecessary expenses sometime ago and rent room out in house too so have our living expenses down to minimum and still have near 3K halves in reserve awaiting higher $ilver to sell more. At rate of finds if had too think could survive on Silver finds, barely, or better if Silver goes up more ;D .

Rich Hartford said:
At this time several federally funded rickshaw factories are being built across the nation which will create thousands of jobs. There will also be a great need for coolies to pull the rickshaws.

What is really sad is that if the above were true, it would actually be good news with respect to creating jobs in the manufacturing sector here. Seems like most everything else has gone to countries with lower labor costs.

I still believe that the big time future problem for our country will not necessarily be a weak dollar or the bank crisis, but will be an astronomical unemployment rate.

Jim

I saw & still have these reports they were put out by the Dept of Labor in DC called the (SCANS) Secretary's Commission Achieving Necessary Skills linkup with Dept of Ed and (STW) School To Work initiative, in these 2 booklet form reports they openly say American Industry will disappear & be replaced by service & technology jobs; STW is the slotting of children from Kindergarten for the jobs of the future- it even went so far as to say primary Education will end at 8th grade & technical Edu will be for those who are chosen to go further. I kidd you not; this plan is patterned after the soviet model of total State planning, cradle to grave.

$64 per day in silver profit X 6 days X52 week = about $20,000/yr

That equates to 64 40%ers/day (@ a sale price of $1.50/ea) or

$8/day of 90% at 9x face value sale.

Can you live off that?

Has anybody met these goals?

According to my spread sheet my average for this year is 2.61 ozt/day so no I'm not making $64/day.
HH all, Mark

ronbo22 said:
$64 per day in silver profit X 6 days X52 week = about $20,000/yr

That equates to 64 40%ers/day (@ a sale price of $1.50/ea) or

$8/day of 90% at 9x face value sale.

Can you live off that?

Has anybody met these goals?

That works out to be exactly 16,000 %40's per year assuming you take 2 weeks off (if you can) for vacation. I'd say this is impossible or at lest highly unlikely; yes we have done over 3000 including near 200 %90's in 6 Months and I'll feel real lucky if we can do even close to as good in next 6 months a the first 6 months!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back