if i find coins what is old should i clean them?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually a toothbrush and water for wheats.

For IH's, 2c's, Large Cents, Colonial Coppers--first a wet cotton swab rolled over the coin gently, then perhaps use the peroxide method IF the patina looks solid. NEVER use olive oil on a coin, button, or relic.

For nickels, usually I toothbrush with water, then bring out the detail with the oil from my fingers rubbed LIGHTLY on only the highest points of the coin. I use this method for CN IH's and FE cents too--since the nickel in them will generally mean that they're reddish colored fresh out of the ground.

For silver--when you dig it--do NOT field clean it. The date will still be there when you get home. The coin has waited patiently underground for a hundred years for you to find it. Don't dig it up just to destroy it. If you rub it at all, or pick at the dirt, you will scratch the coin. I place them in a medicine bottle (free at any Walgreens, etc.) that is filled with cotton balls. Then when I get home, I soak the coin for a few minutes in water, then use warm water (with the drain plugged!) to Blast the dirt from the coin. Then while the water is running, use a camel's hair Very Soft make up brush to tease the remaining dirt off the coin (while the water is running the whole time over the coin--the water will carry the loose dirt away so that you won't scratch the coin). When it is done, pat dry or let air dry.

For any clad coins (modern stuff), there are recipes for coin tumblers for them here in the Cleaning Section of the forum.

Best Wishes and HH,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread