What's new

to slab or not to slab? that is the question.

TRHNTR

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2016
Messages
21
Reaction score
229
Golden Thread
0
Location
MASS
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what is your opinion, I found this hoard of colonial tree coins. should I have them graded and slabbed or keep them as is together as a group as is?
I think it’s a historical find and they’re worth more as a group as is. Some people think that collectors don’t care and want them cleaned and slabbed. Not sure what to do in this case.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0733.webp
    IMG_0733.webp
    658.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0619.webp
    IMG_0619.webp
    765.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 13
Just remember that you're going to pay at least $2,400 to get those eight coins graded by PCGS. You will also have to declare their estimated value on your income tax return, whether you sell them or not. One of the sleazier things the IRS does to metal detectorists who find valuable coins or relics.

“Whether or not you sell the found object has no bearing on the fair market value requirement. Even if you choose to merely keep and use the thing you find, the value of it is taxable.”
 
Just remember that you're going to pay at least $2,400 to get those eight coins graded by PCGS. You will also have to declare their estimated value on your income tax return, whether you sell them or not. One of the sleazier things the IRS does to metal detectorists who find valuable coins or relics.

“Whether or not you sell the found object has no bearing on the fair market value requirement. Even if you choose to merely keep and use the thing you find, the value of it is taxable.”
That's why you act like it's the landlord at the door. Be real quiet.
 
Personally, I wouldn't have these slabbed. You would spend a lot of money and likely wouldn't straight grade and be designated environmental damage or cleaned. Metal detected coins often have hairline scratches from soil movement that the grading companies see as cleaning scratches. They would be authenticated and in protective holders, but that might be about it.
 
Just remember that you're going to pay at least $2,400 to get those eight coins graded by PCGS. You will also have to declare their estimated value on your income tax return, whether you sell them or not. One of the sleazier things the IRS does to metal detectorists who find valuable coins or relics.

“Whether or not you sell the found object has no bearing on the fair market value requirement. Even if you choose to merely keep and use the thing you find, the value of it is taxable.”
Tim is correct. Whatever those coins are worth, the IRS considers it income. Taxes due next April. The folks in CA that found the Saddle Ridge hoard had all their coins slabbed and sold them on Amazon immediately to pay the IRS. 38% of ten million!
 
Tim is correct. Whatever those coins are worth, the IRS considers it income. Taxes due next April. The folks in CA that found the Saddle Ridge hoard had all their coins slabbed and sold them on Amazon immediately to pay the IRS. 38% of ten million!
WOW !!!
 
so what is your opinion, I found this hoard of colonial tree coins. should I have them graded and slabbed or keep them as is together as a group as is?
I think it’s a historical find and they’re worth more as a group as is. Some people think that collectors don’t care and want them cleaned and slabbed. Not sure what to do in this case.
A FANTASTIC, OUTSTANDING , CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU FINDS!!! I've sent a few of my better coins to have slabbed. I was happy with a grade like Au with environmental damage on a Liberty Cap Cent. I don't sell my finds but if I did I would try to get them in slabs. I took some of my best finds to a very large coin dealer in Florida. He made a great point. I showed him a gold Ducut that I found that came off a shipwreck in New Jersey. He told me that the value of the coin is nothing compared to the value of your story!
 
A FANTASTIC, OUTSTANDING , CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU FINDS!!! I've sent a few of my better coins to have slabbed. I was happy with a grade like Au with environmental damage on a Liberty Cap Cent. I don't sell my finds but if I did I would try to get them in slabs. I took some of my best finds to a very large coin dealer in Florida. He made a great point. I showed him a gold Ducut that I found that came off a shipwreck in New Jersey. He told me that the value of the coin is nothing compared to the value of your story!
hey, thanks I think I might end up having them authenticated and slabbed.
 
I would have them preserved (by the grading company) slabbed, and kept together. Great finds.
 
Personally, I wouldn't have these slabbed. You would spend a lot of money and likely wouldn't straight grade and be designated environmental damage or cleaned. Metal detected coins often have hairline scratches from soil movement that the grading companies see as cleaning scratches. They would be authenticated and in protective holders, but that might be about it.
to be honest here... I usually take my purchased coins out of the holders, so I can display them the way I want to. Also, older slabbed coins sometimes are regraded by more modern standards.
 
so what is your opinion, I found this hoard of colonial tree coins. should I have them graded and slabbed or keep them as is together as a group as is?
I think it’s a historical find and they’re worth more as a group as is. Some people think that collectors don’t care and want them cleaned and slabbed. Not sure what to do in this case.
Awesomeness!!!!!! I’d display them altogether as they are.. 😊 Sooooo Awesome !!🎉😊
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom