What's new

to slab or not to slab? that is the question.

TRHNTR

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2016
Messages
21
Reaction score
229
Golden Thread
0
Location
MASS
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what is your opinion, I found this hoard of colonial tree coins. should I have them graded and slabbed or keep them as is together as a group as is?
I think it’s a historical find and they’re worth more as a group as is. Some people think that collectors don’t care and want them cleaned and slabbed. Not sure what to do in this case.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0733.webp
    IMG_0733.webp
    658.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0619.webp
    IMG_0619.webp
    765.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 13
Hey what happened to you... ? ? ?
the other thread about these was ablaze.

As far as the question at hand... YES... absolutely.
Do NOT clean them other then a hot water bath.
Send them in to PCGS or NGC.
 
Hey what happened to you... ? ? ?
the other thread about these was ablaze.

As far as the question at hand... YES... absolutely.
Do NOT clean them other then a hot water bath.
Send them in to PCGS or NGC.
I definitely didn’t touch them. I just rinse them off with distilled water gently. I brought them to a coin dealer and he suggested sending them to NGCS and having them restored and slab, but I requested them not to be touched or restored or cleaned at all professionally unless absolutely necessary I just wanted them evaluated and slabbed, but then someone had said to me that there are some high-end collective that don’t want them slabbed so I’m a little bit unsure what to do in which company would be better PCGS or NGC?
 
I would definitely have them graded. Either NCG or PCGS. Once they’re in a slab, that eliminates any questions on their authenticity and condition. Most of my graded coins are by PCGS. I can go to their website and type in the number of my coin. It shows my coin and also gives the current value. Those three things, authenticity, condition and value are hard to determine if you’re not an expert. The only thing that freaks me out about getting them graded is sending them through the post office! 😳 The post office has never lost one of my coins so far.
 
I definitely didn’t touch them. I just rinse them off with distilled water gently. I brought them to a coin dealer and he suggested sending them to NGCS and having them restored and slab, but I requested them not to be touched or restored or cleaned at all professionally unless absolutely necessary I just wanted them evaluated and slabbed, but then someone had said to me that there are some high-end collective that don’t want them slabbed so I’m a little bit unsure what to do in which company would be better PCGS or NGC?
Once again congratulations on your great recovery of these coins.
It's a hard one to really decide what to do and you have to ask what the end game results are actually.
Keep or sell?
Keep: Then enjoy them to your own satisfaction, and your own decisions are just that.

Sell: There are many routes that you can take and this leads to the age old question what to do.
Personally I would do a little research on value of each piece.
What is the end game on a sell? To maximize the amount of profit or to say they went to a good home.
If I'm was going to sell a high price ticket item, then let's do the profit side.

Nobody has what you have in their hand basically speaking. Yes some high end collectors might have that amount of same like coins they've amassed over the years.

How many multi coin lots have gone up for sale. Pretty slim pickings in the search engines of sites.

If i was in your shoes I would pick the 3 leading expert auction houses out for their expert advice.
They will have the game plan which will help guide you through many of should I do this or that questions.
My choice would be Heritage Auctions, or Stacks both have proven track records dealing with collections.

You have what many seek-The needle on the rarity meter is nearly broken.
 
I would definitely have them graded. Either NCG or PCGS. Once they’re in a slab, that eliminates any questions on their authenticity and condition. Most of my graded coins are by PCGS. I can go to their website and type in the number of my coin. It shows my coin and also gives the current value. Those three things, authenticity, condition and value are hard to determine if you’re not an expert. The only thing that freaks me out about getting them graded is sending them through the post office! 😳 The post office has never lost one of my coins so far.
thanks, appreciate you taking the time to respond👍
 
GREAT FINDS !! congrats. WHEN I started detecting I would use anything i could find to clean old coind=s even wire wheels. A lot has changed since i started. I have never sold a coin i have detected. So i can not give you my opinion. Good luck with your finds
 
Once again congratulations on your great recovery of these coins.
It's a hard one to really decide what to do and you have to ask what the end game results are actually.
Keep or sell?
Keep: Then enjoy them to your own satisfaction, and your own decisions are just that.

Sell: There are many routes that you can take and this leads to the age old question what to do.
Personally I would do a little research on value of each piece.
What is the end game on a sell? To maximize the amount of profit or to say they went to a good home.
If I'm was going to sell a high price ticket item, then let's do the profit side.

Nobody has what you have in their hand basically speaking. Yes some high end collectors might have that amount of same like coins they've amassed over the years.

How many multi coin lots have gone up for sale. Pretty slim pickings in the search engines of sites.

If i was in your shoes I would pick the 3 leading expert auction houses out for their expert advice.
They will have the game plan which will help guide you through many of should I do this or that questions.
My choice would be Heritage Auctions, or Stacks both have proven track records dealing with collections.

You have what many seek-The needle on the rarity meter is nearly broken.
thank you for replying. I appreciate your time. I’m a little apprehensive on selling them through an auction. I sold a willow tree. I found a few years ago and didn’t get hardly as much as I think I should’ve gotten for it but that’s the way the ball bounces. I guess I think I would be more interested in selling it to a private collector as a whole collection . we only other question is which would be a better company to send them to get graded PCGS Or NGC?
 
I would definitely have them graded. Either NCG or PCGS. Once they’re in a slab, that eliminates any questions on their authenticity and condition. Most of my graded coins are by PCGS. I can go to their website and type in the number of my coin. It shows my coin and also gives the current value. Those three things, authenticity, condition and value are hard to determine if you’re not an expert. The only thing that freaks me out about getting them graded is sending them through the post office! 😳 The post office has never lost one of my coins so far.
That would be my fear as well-getting a :dontknow:when the tracking number doesn't work.

Personally courier services that deal with high end items, or security might be a better choice.

Dealing with an auction house such as Heritage Auctions they'll get all the logistics done for a person from shipping to sale. The grading will be done to maximize the sale of the collection.
 
These coins are rare and also have different varieties, some are more valuable than others, getting them graded does several things, it ensures what variety each coin is and then the value can be determined, getting them graded usually ensures you will get more money if you sell them, ensures the buyers what they are getting, etc.

You mentioned that some buyers would rather buy ungraded coins, the only reason I can think of is because they can buy a coin for less money.
 
These coins are rare and also have different varieties, some are more valuable than others, getting them graded does several things, it ensures what variety each coin is and then the value can be determined, getting them graded usually ensures you will get more money if you sell them, ensures the buyers what they are getting, etc.
thanks for the reply
 
As many stated it depends.

Would be cool if you could have them as part of a cache or hoard. Like the Saddle Ridge coins were classified. People like that angle.

You would probably have to give background on the find. State, type of site, etc.

I know we’d like to find out more as well. Would be great if you could share the back story.
 
thank you for replying. I appreciate your time. I’m a little apprehensive on selling them through an auction. I sold a willow tree. I found a few years ago and didn’t get hardly as much as I think I should’ve gotten for it but that’s the way the ball bounces. I guess I think I would be more interested in selling it to a private collector as a whole collection . we only other question is which would be a better company to send them to get graded PCGS Or NGC?
I have sold many things through auctions but not of the caliber of what you have in hand.
Reach out to Heritage and get a feel of what they might offer for a service.
You have what many seek-they'll treat you right that's for sure because of the rarity of what you hold.


A reserve on the lot is a given-it meets it, or exceeds it.
Transparency of a reserve doesn't frighten off high end bidding.
It gives the security to the seller that a certain level of satisfaction can and will be guaranteed.
 
. I guess I think I would be more interested in selling it to a private collector as a whole collection .
A coin dealer would buy the collection and immediately split it up and sell for more profit. Keeping them together would be great, and you should keep them if you want them to stay as a group. Another option for grading is CAC. CAC does the strictest grading. John Albanese runs CAC. He is the one who started PCGS. He wanted even stricter grading than PCGS was doing and started CAC.
 
Exceptional finds!! Check for large coin shows in your area. Some grading services will have a table at these shows and you can give them directly to their representative. They will be graded, slabbed and returned via mail. Never had any coins go missing.
 
If it was me, I'd have them professionally conserved, and graded and slabbed by PCGS. You can still keep them together as a hoard/cache, but, now they're protected and properly I.D.'d.
 
As many stated it depends.

Would be cool if you could have them as part of a cache or hoard. Like the Saddle Ridge coins were classified. People like that angle.

You would probably have to give background on the find. State, type of site, etc.

I know we’d like to find out more as well. Would be great if you could share the back story.

If it was me, I'd have them professionally conserved, and graded and slabbed by PCGS. You can still keep them together as a hoard/cache, but, now they're protected and properly I.D.'d.
yes, I think that’s what I’m going to do
 
also, when you get them slabbed, the experts may notice some interesting varieties. and by all means, keep them as a group
 
There may be some erroneous information here. Check with the grading service about the variety identification. Both PCGS and NGC websites list coins that they will attribute "select" varieties of, no colonial coins are on this list so I don't believe they will attribute the varieties.
 
It would be hard for me to part with a "once in a 100 lifetimes find" like that. :laughing7: Plus I don't think I could slab them either. I like to handle my coins. Of course if I actually had a handful of Tree shillings, I would probably think differently. :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom