OldCop135

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a 3rd-year detectorist; recently I found a spot in a wooded section of a city park that, so far, has produced twenty-seven foreign coins from all over the world, ranging in date from 1810 to 1966. I've identified all of them but one, pictured here. I thought it might be a reale at first, but a friend thinks it might be a German States Schwarzburg Spitzgroschen from the mid-to-late 1500s. Can anyone confirm this? reale A.jpgReale B.jpg

It's a Spitzgroschen but I can't seem to find that exact design. Great find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's a really neat coin to find in Ohio or anyplace else for that matter,
What has it gotten for post-recovery cleaning, if any?
From the other coins recovered it seems you've come across a scattered collection of sorts.
This one just looks 'off' to me, like a souvenir or facsimile, any sign of casting seam on the edge?

Upvote 0
It's in good condition too, so I would say it is worth around 200 to 300 dollars based on condition! Don't mess around with it lol, I would not clean it at all!

Upvote 0
It's in good condition too, so I would say it is worth around 200 to 300 dollars based on condition! Don't mess around with it lol, I would not clean it at all!

In the area I found it, there were 22 other coins, all from foreign countries, most dated in the 1800s; I think they were taken during a home burglary, and when the thieves realized they had foreign coins that were of no value to them, they pitched them over a steep, wooded hillside...and I found them at least 35 years later. Thanks for all the input!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back