What's new

if tellers ask why your buying halfs what do most of you tell them

THEDUKE

Full Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ocean County New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/DI PRO SL
if a teller asks why you want 1000 in halfs what do you say.

use them to play card games or for gifts or just say nothing
 
Upvote 0
THEDUKE said:
if a teller asks why you want 1000 in halfs what do you say.
I have 2 standard answers.
I put together collections and I buy and sell coins.

I have a big poker game this weekend. ;D
 
"I collect", "use 'em to play poker", "I give 'em to my grandyoung'uns/nephews/nieces", "I keep trying to throw one across the Altamaha River".

Robin
 
I just tell them I am looking for certain dates and mint marks. I don't mention silver. It's really none of there business. I love it when I go to a new branch to dump and they say "oh, it must have taken you a long time to save these up". I'm thinking, yea, since yesterday....LOL. After a few weeks, they figure it out.
 
I use the usual,
I put together coin collections, Works for buying and dumping.
Poker, its more fun to push around big coins.
When they try to charge me and its a small bank I just say its for my kid to put together a coin collection, Gets em every time. But can only be used a couple times at off branches.
If I am traveling on vacation sometimes I say its for a fund raiser, they dont have to know its for my funds.

Since some of them know I am a jeweler, I jsut say, ever heard of the rapper 50cent? and leave it there.

When dumping sometimes when they ask where did you get these? I just say..."I have a tenant that is a real ass hole!"
They pity me at that point.

OF course some of them know exactly what I am doing and think I am crazy...oh well, its amazing how many of these tellers have stories about people who bring in silver and say that you can still find it but "not like you used too" and they also seem to think its a rare thing. But you look at the volume of change they deal with and they only crack a few rolls, we crack hundreds, its just scaling it up.

Over all the less mention of silver the better, it seems that bothers people, but coin collecting is ok. When they ask if you find it just say once and a while but not often.
 
I agree. Most of the times I just say, "Oh, I'm a collector. Just trying to look for different dates and stuff." I never mention silver or profit. I don't want to give them any ideas. Rather than asking for old or rare stuff, I usually ask for anything weird - this has produced some gems.
 
awhitster said:
I just tell them I am looking for certain dates and mint marks. I don't mention silver. It's really none of there business. I love it when I go to a new branch to dump and they say "oh, it must have taken you a long time to save these up". I'm thinking, yea, since yesterday....LOL. After a few weeks, they figure it out.

I just had a new teller at one of my dump banks say to me, "I haven't seen half dollars forever. You must have been saving these for a while." I am sure all the other tellers within earshot of our conversation were rolling their eyes and cursing me under their breath. ;D I just said "Yep." I like to keep em guessing. I also don't like to get into what I need (or use) the halves for. So many tellers out there get a little too personal with their questioning.

Hoose
 
I tell them the truth for the most part.

"I am looking for a few to complete a coin collection and I spend the ones I don't want as long as I don't need the cash for something else sooner." If they ask what I am looking for I say "A mix, some newer ones (like proofs or NIFC) and some older ones". I also usually make a comment about how people react when I spend them since I find it entertaining (which is true).

Or sometimes I say I am getting them for my kids to look through for their coin collection. Though I usually only say that when I get lower denom stuff from a bank I don't have an account at, or I think the teller is likely to give me a hard time about buying them. I also use this more often when buying boxes. It does have some truth to it, but my kids only help out occasionally these days.
 
GMan00001 said:
I tell them the truth for the most part.

"I am looking for a few to complete a coin collection and I spend the ones I don't want as long as I don't need the cash for something else sooner." If they ask what I am looking for I say "A mix, some newer ones (like proofs or NIFC) and some older ones". I also usually make a comment about how people react when I spend them since I find it entertaining (which is true).

Or sometimes I say I am getting them for my kids to look through for their coin collection. Though I usually only say that when I get lower denom stuff from a bank I don't have an account at, or I think the teller is likely to give me a hard time about buying them. I also use this more often when buying boxes. It does have some truth to it, but my kids only help out occasionally these days.

Same here- tell them the truth, make friends and the tellers will start saving some for you- just omit the silver part! ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom