What's new

if the average depth of a find is only 6 inchs why spend big $$$$

metal mania

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
576
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the average depth of a find is only 6 inchs why spend big $$$$ on a high end detector what are the advantages.
 
That is the average depths that a coin is found. That means that most people cant get below 6 inches. Many detectors are not very strong, or just cant get very deep, like many VLFs. Most PIs will go very deep. But it could be the user. I see many people swinging the coil like a sickle, in a wide U shape. At the closest, they are 6 inches from the ground, at the end they are over a foot off the ground. Sometimes it is the user, not the machine. Or they just need to listen closer to the thresh hold going up slightly, or go slower, or really overlap the swings. There are some deeper obviously. So use a larger coil /or a more powerful detector and go deeper.
 
Why not?
 

Attachments

  • DEEP.webp
    DEEP.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 632
If you are only intersted in finding clad or newer coins then you will be very happy with a lower end machine as most won't be deeper than 6". BUT if you are like most people and want to find older coins and relics then you are going to need a machine that will reach those depths. I don't know what you mean my big $$$ but $400 and up will get you a very nice deep finding machine. I have found Indian Head pennies 10" and deeper that the cheaper machines would never have found. A lot of people start out by getting a lower end machine then invest in a better machine as they get more experienced in hunting.
 
treasurehound said:
If you are only intersted in finding clad or newer coins then you will be very happy with a lower end machine as most won't be deeper than 6". BUT if you are like most people and want to find older coins and relics then you are going to need a machine that will reach those depths. I don't know what you mean my big $$$ but $400 and up will get you a very nice deep finding machine. I have found Indian Head pennies 10" and deeper that the cheaper machines would never have found. A lot of people start out by getting a lower end machine then invest in a better machine as they get more experienced in hunting.

Dont forget, a big coil on a "low end" machine goes deeper than a small coil on a "high end" machine.
 
"Big coil on a low end machine goes deeper than a small coil on a high end machine" ???

Thats just about the opposite of what I've found. Big picks up more mineralisation, has more targets under it at one time offsetting meter or tone I.D., picks up more E.M.I. and most still lose sensitivity as the diameter increases.
 
Bells & Whistles!
 
See why people can't find much. Low end detectors have no ground balance. With no ground balance you can't get the best out of any coil (larger or smaller) unless you open up the detector and adjust the internal trimmer. Then if you swap back to your original coil thats now no longer optimised until you go through the internal adjustment procedure.

After you have done that a few times the trimmer, that is not manufacturered to take to much adjusting, starts to wear out.
 
Personally, I like the smaller coils - as I have found them much easier to use, and much easier to pinpoint, and, I've gotten object WAY deeper than 6 inches. (as in, deeper than the length of my shovel).

However, it is a personal choice, and many buy one of each - one small and one large.

Here is a great site for understanding coils.

http://www.mdhtalk.org/tutorials/coils/md-searchcoils-.pdf


Good hunting!


Beth
 
Re:
if the average depth of a find is only 6 inchs why spend big $$$$

So you only want to find "Average finds" ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom