Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The higher freq. the better for gold, I know you know that, can't tell you how many times my thoughts get ahead of me and I kind of mis-quote myself? Otherwise, of all the detectors I have used, I too would go with the Legend for all purpose general detecting.
Thanks sprailroad. That's really a wide variety of machines you had to pick from.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned the Deus II because I really didn't like it and replaced it with the Minelab Equinox 800. A Manticore is made by Minelab as you must realize. I'll be glad to list the reasons I returned the Deus II or e-mail you them if you are that curious.
Ha ha ha It was just a question, I'm not offended you returned the XP II, just wondering because in that list of machines, the Monticore was below the XP II and ML 800.. Not every machine is for everybody, I hate Garrets, just because I've had bad experiances with them in the past, but many people wouldn't trade their Garrett for 10 gold coins and a new machine... It is what it is...

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The greatest advantage the Deus 2 has over the Deus 1 (besides multi-frequency) is that the signal is much clearer. Although both the 2 and 1 will detect the same objects, at the same depth, the signal on the D2 is far more obvious. You'll still hear the signal on the D1--it won't actually miss any of the signals the D2 finds--it's just louder and stronger on the D2. So you don't have to pay as much attention as you do with the D1.
Here is where I have to disagree, I use my DEUS I in playgrounds and there are many coin target signals my friend with a Minelab 800 can get but I can't, (too deep) (I know the comparison is not with Minelab but....) later when I switch to the DEUS II for field and coin hunting there is nothing that he can get that I can't, which makes the DEUS II equal to the Minelab, which means the DEUS II gets better depth than the DEUS I.
Just my opinion...

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold a couple of my Whites and purchased a NOX 900. Mostly just to get back in the hobby after a couple decades. Not to mention bringing myself into the 21st century.
I'm no pro by any means but it has served me well as an all around machine.
Civil War bullets in the fields of Tennessee
Earrings on the beach in Florida(first time using it)
Silver at old home sites in Kentucky and Tennessee
Coin shooting at modern homes in Virginia (Almost getting me kicked out of Thunder Valley at Bristol Motor Speedway🤘)
Relics and countless other artifacts in general
...and a few horse shoes
Don't blame me, they're the ones who put the button on the machine😁

Attachments

• 20230803_054044.jpg
    20230803_054044.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

bkurent

Jul 20, 2023
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I personally go with my nox 800. I do mostly salt water beach hunting and some fields, but its pretty versatile and great for the $ too.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And listen folks, just to be clear,
as much as I like the XP DEUS I & II, there are actually things about them that I DON'T like !!
#1. I wish the buttons were Outer press buttons instead of Inner press buttons.. making it hard to turn on and off,
#2. The main control box is not attached very well, yes it clicks onto the pole / handle but many times I've bumped the machine and the control box has popped off and landed on the ground... that's a $500 control box, and both the DEUS's have this problem.. Also the clip you mount this too is cheaply made and I've had it break on both my DEUS's making it almost impossible to keep the control box on.. (then having to order a new clip)
One of my first times using my DEUS I, I was in a school playground and looked up to see 50 kids running toward me from the school, I yanked my machine and ran to another part of the field only to discover that the control box had popped off in the playground, I went back and kid said... hey mister are you looking for this ? and gave it back to me...
after which I have been VERY careful when I'm out hunting ha ha ha
(anyone who has used either DEUS knows what I'm talking about)
#3 It's a pain in the tail to sep this machine up for underwater hunting, (not something I really do actually) You have to buy an extra kit and run an "antenna wire" from the coil to the box through the tube of the shaft, and clip it close to both so that the wireless box and coil can "see" each other while detecting underwater..
Just some extra thoughts, still won't give them up..

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha ha ha It was just a question, I'm not offended you returned the XP II, just wondering because in that list of machines, the Monticore was below the XP II and ML 800.. Not every machine is for everybody, I hate Garrets, just because I've had bad experiances with them in the past, but many people wouldn't trade their Garrett for 10 gold coins and a new machine... It is what it is...
the Manticore was just released in last 9 months - so of course those % figures are lower. It's a Minelab that's why and the one to beat IMO. It's also why several big youtube bloggers who were swinging the Deus II are now swinging the Manicore. Savannah Harps, Metal Detecting NYC, etc. both salt water beach hunters.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Manticore was just released in last 9 months - so of course those % figures are lower. It's a Minelab that's why and the one to beat IMO. It's also why several big youtube bloggers who were swinging the Deus II are now swinging the Manicore. Savannah Harps, Metal Detecting NYC, etc. both salt water beach hunters.
And I watch these people, and they are good...
My problem is that I don't have a $1,000 to invest in a new machine every 6 months when an improvement comes out... my wife would shoot me... These guys with lots of youtube hits get their machines for free, so it gives Minelab and DEUS free advertising.. So I'm doing ok with what I've already paid $$$$$$ big bucks for ..... now truthfully, I've found enough Gold with the DEUS 1 to cover both machines probably, but because I don't generally sell that gold.. its a problem ha ha ha 🤣

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a couple of my Whites and purchased a NOX 900. Mostly just to get back in the hobby after a couple decades. Not to mention bringing myself into the 21st century.
I'm no pro by any means but it has served me well as an all around machine.
Civil War bullets in the fields of Tennessee
Earrings on the beach in Florida(first time using it)
Silver at old home sites in Kentucky and Tennessee
Coin shooting at modern homes in Virginia (Almost getting me kicked out of Thunder Valley at Bristol Motor Speedway🤘)
Relics and countless other artifacts in general
...and a few horse shoes
Don't blame me, they're the ones who put the button on the machine😁
Thanks a bunch for that reply Groundhogg.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My problem is that I don't have a $1,000 to invest in a new machine every 6 months when an improvement comes out... my wife would shoot me... These guys with lots of youtube hits get their machines for free, so it gives Minelab and DEUS free advertising..
I agree it is absurd and yes, many are getting free machines. Great advertisement too. They are both good machines. I don't chase the wind - it's really a total waste of time. HH!

Erell

Aug 5, 2019
Detector(s) used
DEUS 5.21 + HF Coils + MI-6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This question is intended primarily for those of you who are fortunate to have 2 or more detectors, and especially those who have a collection of them. And it is really a 2 part question.
1. If you only detect one specific type of target area, beach, park, desert, underwater, etc., and you could only choose one detector, what is the target area and what detector?

2. If you detect many different types of target areas, or all types of target areas, and you could only choose one detector from among your arsenal and give up the rest which would you keep, or what new one would replace them all?

Yes, I understand that it is a terrible imaginary world I'm placing you in, but politics and economics aside, please give it a shot. Explanation of your choice is totally optional. Please do your best not to criticize the choices of others. To each his own. Thanks to all of you, the wealth of knowledge shared on Treasure Net is incalculable.
Without no doubt, DEUS II. From $899 for the WS6 Master version. Definitively the best detector on, the market. And you can still uppgrade with an additional the remote control later if you think you need. Versatile isn't it ?

For a continental usage 90% of the time, the DEUS 1 is also a good option too. It's $799 for the full version now and still one of the best machine on the field.

Whatever the tool you get, enjoy the hobby !

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't chase the wind - it's really a total waste of time. HH!
I wanted to add to this and say, I have been guilty of "chasing the wind" so to speak, but if I want to be realistic with myself I have to understand the reality of the situation. Every year a manufacturer comes out with a "better" machine promising "more depth" "better discrimination" "better this, better that" and it plays on our sentiments and tells us that it will turn that "old worked out site" back into a "glory hole of treasure" that your old previous machine missed.
But what is the truth ? when a place is Virgin, targets are plentiful and easily found, when a place has been "hunted to death" no machine on earth is going to find shit that's not there, no matter how good the technology is... Obviously there will always be a few lingering targets that were missed by someone else, and the ads always imply that the "new Machine" was so great that it pulled this great thing where others could not, but the truth is, you might find a few more pennies or maybe a lucky silver dime in an old place, but did it cover that $1000 you spent to get there ??? 🤣 And if you had your partner with you to check that signal with his "still older machine", you might actually discover that you didn't need that $1000 machine at all to find that additional penny.
And after you dig it... you will never know if it actually was something you couldn't get with your old machine OR was something you just never walked over ... ha ha ha 🤣 :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And listen folks, just to be clear,
as much as I like the XP DEUS I & II, there are actually things about them that I DON'T like !!
#1. I wish the buttons were Outer press buttons instead of Inner press buttons.. making it hard to turn on and off,
#2. The main control box is not attached very well, yes it clicks onto the pole / handle but many times I've bumped the machine and the control box has popped off and landed on the ground... that's a $500 control box, and both the DEUS's have this problem.. Also the clip you mount this too is cheaply made and I've had it break on both my DEUS's making it almost impossible to keep the control box on.. (then having to order a new clip)
One of my first times using my DEUS I, I was in a school playground and looked up to see 50 kids running toward me from the school, I yanked my machine and ran to another part of the field only to discover that the control box had popped off in the playground, I went back and kid said... hey mister are you looking for this ? and gave it back to me...
after which I have been VERY careful when I'm out hunting ha ha ha
(anyone who has used either DEUS knows what I'm talking about)
#3 It's a pain in the tail to sep this machine up for underwater hunting, (not something I really do actually) You have to buy an extra kit and run an "antenna wire" from the coil to the box through the tube of the shaft, and clip it close to both so that the wireless box and coil can "see" each other while detecting underwater..
Just some extra thoughts, still won't give them up..
Here's what I use and luv it. The remote is on my digging arm and since I carry the shovel over my shoulder it's right there in my face so it's easier to see plus just a tad lighter swinging the coil.
IMG_20230804_092530169.jpg
IMG_20230804_092456983.jpg

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, it's a joggers band and works great. Just an idea 💡

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is starting to veer off topic but does show another advantage of the Deus--the removable remote.

This is how I keep my Deus remote in my line of sight. No, it doesn't get in the way when bending to dig.
0.jpg

But for anyone who has knocked their remote off the shaft, you can use a tether tied to the shaft that will keep the remote from hitting the ground should it get knocked off. My Deus 2 came with one when I bought it.

Here's an example, there's many different types:

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without no doubt, DEUS II. From $899 for the WS6 Master version. Definitively the best detector on, the market. And you can still uppgrade with an additional the remote control later if you think you need. Versatile isn't it ?

For a continental usage 90% of the time, the DEUS 1 is also a good option too. It's $799 for the full version now and still one of the best machine on the field.

Whatever the tool you get, enjoy the hobby !
Thanks for weighing in Erell.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are just a few more reasons why I go with a DEUS!!!! I'm really surprised other company's haven't went the BT route. Heck with wires!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread