If you had to choose only one detector

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question is intended primarily for those of you who are fortunate to have 2 or more detectors, and especially those who have a collection of them. And it is really a 2 part question.
1. If you only detect one specific type of target area, beach, park, desert, underwater, etc., and you could only choose one detector, what is the target area and what detector?

2. If you detect many different types of target areas, or all types of target areas, and you could only choose one detector from among your arsenal and give up the rest which would you keep, or what new one would replace them all?

Yes, I understand that it is a terrible imaginary world I'm placing you in, but politics and economics aside, please give it a shot. Explanation of your choice is totally optional. Please do your best not to criticize the choices of others. To each his own. Thanks to all of you, the wealth of knowledge shared on Treasure Net is incalculable.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simple choice the Deus ll
I'd give up the Deus 1, CTX3030, ETRAC, and a Explorer.
Reason the D2 serves as water detector, relic.
I haven't the hours on it as the other machines, but it has woke up every site the other machines have been over many times.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple choice the Deus ll
I'd give up the Deus 1, CTX3030, ETRAC, and a Explorer.
Reason the D2 serves as water detector, relic.
I haven't the hours on it as the other machines, but it has woke up every site the other machines have been over many times.
The "Winner" is for being #1, and for a great reply.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex (single freq)
or
Legend (multi freq)

Best bang for the buck, either.
Very capable machines

If I were looking for raw small gold, I get a gold specific detector, usually the higher operating frequency, the better for gold

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simplex (single freq)
or
Legend (multi freq)

Very capable machines

If I were looking for raw small gold, I get a gold specific detector, usually the lower operating frequency, the better for gold
The OP stated clearly in the thread is pick one-not 3 .

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Deus 11 if I thought I had enough detecting time left. So, unless I win the lottery I will keep on using my Deus 1. My main hunting is done in plowed fields and the Deus has served me well.
Thanks for responding.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simplex (single freq)
or
Legend (multi freq)

Very capable machines

If I were looking for raw small gold, I get a gold specific detector, usually the lower operating frequency, the better for gold
Thanks for responding.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question is intended primarily for those of you who are fortunate to have 2 or more detectors, and especially those who have a collection of them. And it is really a 2 part question.
1. If you only detect one specific type of target area, beach, park, desert, underwater, etc., and you could only choose one detector, what is the target area and what detector?

2. If you detect many different types of target areas, or all types of target areas, and you could only choose one detector from among your arsenal and give up the rest which would you keep, or what new one would replace them all?

Yes, I understand that it is a terrible imaginary world I'm placing you in, but politics and economics aside, please give it a shot. Explanation of your choice is totally optional. Please do your best not to criticize the choices of others. To each his own. Thanks to all of you, the wealth of knowledge shared on Treasure Net is incalculable
One question? Is money an issue? If so, I recommend the Legend. It will keep up with the big boys, but at less than 1/2 the cost. Multi-frequency will help at the salt water beaches.
I have one of the best deep coin hunting detectors ever made(Etrac) and I while the Legend is just about as deep, it is not with the Etrac with accuracy at coins 8 plus inches deep.
I have never used a Deus 11 only because I do not believe it will dramatically improve my deep coins finds over what I currently swing. I have always been a detectorist that takes the time to figure out a detector's "limits" All detectors have a language on coins at the limits of it's abilities. Every detector I have ever owned had it's limits. What ever you buy, take the time digging signals that are not perfect. If you do this, you will find the 'limits"

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This kind!

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpeg
    IMG_1681.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 43

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One charged and ready.

Gave a couple away.
Three left. (?) Not sure anymore.

Ace 350 if we went in my area on terra firma tomorrow.
No , it won't involve being underwater above the control box. Nor will I.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One question? Is money an issue? If so, I recommend the Legend. It will keep up with the big boys, but at less than 1/2 the cost. Multi-frequency will help at the salt water beaches.
I have one of the best deep coin hunting detectors ever made(Etrac) and I while the Legend is just about as deep, it is not with the Etrac with accuracy at coins 8 plus inches deep.
I have never used a Deus 11 only because I do not believe it will dramatically improve my deep coins finds over what I currently swing. I have always been a detectorist that takes the time to figure out a detector's "limits" All detectors have a language on coins at the limits of it's abilities. Every detector I have ever owned had it's limits. What ever you buy, take the time digging signals that are not perfect. If you do this, you will find the 'limits"
Mainly interested in which you would choose among the ones you already own . But also if there is one you personally might acquire to replace all the others if you could only have one. As far as cost goes, what ever is within your personal range.
So, the Legend would be your choice?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My XP DEUS II is my choice, although lots of higher end machines out there.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to say I'd pick my Impact. It's usually my go to detector for every situation. I only do yard or field detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread