What's new

Ikes!

Cerulean

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
297
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To my surprise, my usual bank stop had large dollars, Eisenhower dollars ("I'll take 'em all"). I've never encountered them before. All common dates and mintages, but cool nonetheless. Total of 17 in decent condition, and two scruffy ones that I'll use for tipping at IHOP.
 
Upvote 0
Sweet! I like the idea of leaving the scruffy ones as tips. And at the IHOP, no less. ;D Hitting a vein of Ikes is one of the neat surprises of coin roll hunting. I've been on a dry spell lately, myself. Congrats, Cerulean. :)
 
I have used a few scruffy Ikes for tips as well....the ones the coin dealer refused to buy. Technically they had had tape on them, but scruffy just sounds better.
 
My bank must love me. They ordered me a bag of 1000 Ike's that I got a couple of Fridays ago, and I'm getting another this upcoming Friday=p
 
Hey, I just noticed that one of the Ikes is a 1976-D Type 1.

Kinda nifty, having an Internet to look this up on.
 
For the curious:

1971
1971-D
1972
1972-D
1974
1976 Type 2
1976-D Type 1
1976-D Type 2
1978

I'm watching for those '73s, and S mintmarks. But at this rate I'd be happy just to find more Ikes. I'm certain that the housing bust is going to shake loose many coin hoards.
 
I've declined Ikes in the past. I don't really see any value to them at the present time besides the little bit of profit you can make on ebay. I don't think it's worth the time. I have a few hundred of them but I'll probably release them to get more halves.
 
I'm certain that the housing bust is going to shake loose many coin hoards.
I've been thinking the same thing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom