Illinois Arrowhead hunting questions. Will you take me?

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well everyone, I'd like to try my chances in arrowhead hunting. Ya Ya, what else, right? It's that I've always wanted to collect arrowheads, but they are kind of pricy. I know we can find them in SO. IL and our neighboring states of Missouri and OH. They display so nice, and would like to fill, let's say, a 32" x 18" shadow box of some arrowheads to hang above my computer desk. I understand this won't happen overnight, but does anyone know how to research areas where such finds can happen?

I know there's some "woodland" pieces in my neck of the woods, as was proved by another fine member of our IL forum, but I've trecked probably 100's of miles detecting this area, always keeping my eyes open for another find like that.......and NOTHING. Any suggestions in our area, or do I have to go SOUTH OF I-80? ;D

Cabin fever is kicking in, and I thought about maybe walkin' some creeks or fields. If anyone else would be interested in just walking around staring at the ground, let me know, I'm interested. I'm willing to drive a couple of hours (if there's anything within 2 hours worth from Chicago) to search for some arrowheads. I don't know if there's a "season" to look for them, but if it's possible to go out before the snow comes, I would like to give it a try.

Maybe someone knows someone that wouldn't mind me tagging along. Please PM me and I will give you my contact info.

Thanks!
Jon- L4S

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
they find them out here would help but the time is not to good best time is decent weather after they plow in spring before they plant espically after a good rain that would be the perfect time but as with everything it does not always work in your favor we could also go down the river in my canoe and look for them on the many rock islands along the way if you are still interested this spring give me a call dennis

Midwest

Jan 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an area in bolingbrook, IL that might have what you're looking for. This is from another forum, and I didn't want to link it cause it felt Wierd to me, so I am just copying what it said in this thread. It's Hidden lakes nature center I believe.

"Taking advice from this forum's permission section and not wanting to go to jail anytime soon i met with a representive and local athority on this site today. Expecting to find it was protected and completly off limitsto digging anything around the new nature center that was only recently erected on this public land... she practically put the spade in my hand!

I was shocked to hear her encouage me to unearth not only artifacts with a metal detector but dig arrow heads, pottery etc. She even went as far as to show me in the woods exactly where to dig as well as recommending i work along the creek bed walls to find deeper items. The Fox left in the 1800's but settlers took over this mount over looking the river. There is a display in the center that had many items they already found to help motivate me. Crazy as this sounds they will take what i don't want as donation and let me keep what i will.

Honestly this young woman and i are going to get alone great! Now i know where i will be spending most of my time this summer as my work only takes about an hour of my day. Itching for the ground to thaw so i can get started i will be bringing a spade not a garden tool

This seems like a rare situation and if any of you locals want some of this action there is more than enough ground to coveratthis newly recognized historical site for Bolingbrook IL.

weird... just weird man! but you never know until you ask Chief says it's cool! But i suspect the American Indian is used to this kind of silliness.

I'm expecting coinage from the early 1800'sor later with arrowheads as a bonus. Pictures of all my finds (metal or non) will be posted for your amusement of course, but i might have to invest in a deeper mining MD soon"

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my very first arrowhead last year MDing a field with Marinedad.
Picked up 2 more over the summer walking for hours back n forth in
2 fields until the corn got to high. All 3 were found by just being lucky
to see part or all of the arrowhead in the dirt. Fields will be where I
look, most years the dirt will be turned and if 1 has been found, there
should be more.

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dbennett7 said:
they find them out here would help but the time is not to good best time is decent weather after they plow in spring before they plant espically after a good rain that would be the perfect time but as with everything it does not always work in your favor we could also go down the river in my canoe and look for them on the many rock islands along the way if you are still interested this spring give me a call dennis

Sounds great. I'll be in touch. Thanks.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrowhead hunting is a lot like detecting. To be successful its all about location. The best Indian sites fulfilled their basic needs. So you are looking for a place that offers convenient access to a water source. Once that is found look for raised ground. Any hill in a field with water nearby is a great place to search. Even a slight rise of only a few feet above the surrounding field is enough. The biggest problem nowadays is most farms are going no-till and the best sites are pretty picked over. Many of the best hunters I know have given up on field sites that don't get plowed and are now concentrating on searching creek beds. Its tough for me to pick out the arrowheads amidst all the stones and gravel in the creeks but those with the trained eye are pretty good at it. I still haven't figured out what sections or areas of the creek beds tend to be most productive. My experience with getting permission from farmers to hunt the fields is odd. Usually I have good success for metal detecting but many won't grant permission for Indian artifacts.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
limegoldconvertible68 said:
Arrowhead hunting is a lot like detecting. To be successful its all about location. The best Indian sites fulfilled their basic needs. So you are looking for a place that offers convenient access to a water source. Once that is found look for raised ground. Any hill in a field with water nearby is a great place to search. Even a slight rise of only a few feet above the surrounding field is enough. The biggest problem nowadays is most farms are going no-till and the best sites are pretty picked over. Many of the best hunters I know have given up on field sites that don't get plowed and are now concentrating on searching creek beds. Its tough for me to pick out the arrowheads amidst all the stones and gravel in the creeks but those with the trained eye are pretty good at it. I still haven't figured out what sections or areas of the creek beds tend to be most productive. My experience with getting permission from farmers to hunt the fields is odd. Usually I have good success for metal detecting but many won't grant permission for Indian artifacts.

My uncle's old farm west of Elgin was a site with all sorts of stone tools and points. Some collegiate archies asked his neighbor if they could field walk for eye ball finds and that neighbor said sure, go ahead. Next thing you know they were in Uncle Johnny's adjoining field, with shovels and grid markers!

I think some farmers might not know you're looking to eyeball finds and may be suspicious you'll be back with a team. I know when going MD'ing in a farmer's field they're all too happy to let you in if you tell them you can locate those tire hazards in the fields from old tools to bits of discs and plow tips while swinging around.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Jon,
There is an area near me that I have hunted a lot for coins, but I did talk to some long time locals who hunted creek beds (where I was detecting) for Indian artifacts back in the day. I kind have kept my eyes peeled near the creek bed, but never saw anything. There is another place not to far away from this mentioned place, where I pulled a copper artifact if you know what I am talking about.
Remember that through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois there was the Sauk Trail, which was a major Indian trail. It runs near where I live and there is now a road called "Sauk Trail" that follows some of the path. There are forest preserves and other parks along it. I am sure if you did some research, you could find logical areas where the Native Americans would have been. Particularly as mentioned creeks and high ground...

-Jon

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me know if you come out here , i live in bolingbrook and never thought about it . the indian boundary trail is not far from hidden lakes. i'll have to check out your link! might check it out this weekend!

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Don't forget about that place I told you about a few months ago. The one right down the street. After watching that Richard's Rocks dude on youtube, I been thinking about doing the same thing.

Midwest

Jan 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D-Dub said:
Don't forget about that place I told you about a few months ago. The one right down the street. After watching that Richard's Rocks dude on youtube, I been thinking about doing the same thing.

I've been watching his videos...wow, this guy is amazing! He is digging random holes in the woods? I realize that he knows that there was Indian activity in those areas, but still you have to dig random holes? Just amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread