What's new

Illinois field and creek finds - ID please

BobGuy

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
331
Reaction score
830
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted so I wanted to share a couple recent finds. The first set were all found in the same field over the pSt two days. What are your thoughts on the ID of the small points? Are they true arrowheads? My understanding is that arrows came much later and had very small points.

The second set were found in a creek. Can I have your opinion on these IDs as well? I try to use the Internet but it is very hard to ID because they are so many variations.

You can play some Where's Waldo on the in situ pics.

I appreciate your insight! Thanks!

BG




.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435171343.989992.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435171411.325681.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435171469.708681.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435171743.588037.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435171772.991367.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435171840.103026.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! I like the insitus. Thanks for sharing.
 
Those are awesome finds! I wish I could help on the type but not familiar with Illinois points...but I'm sure someone will come along and help you ID them soon.
 
There's to much of the identification parts of your pieces that is missing for good typing, at least for me. The first "arrowhead" in the first set might be a " Klunk " point, especially is a flat flake scar on the unpictured side. The larger tan/ brown might be from the same era, a variation of a "Steuben" and a contemporary of the "Klunk" both late Mississipian, IL.. The cruder knives could easily fit the same period (1,000-1300 b.p.). More pieces in the future from the same area may get you some better types/dating. Nice finds, good luck!
 
Thanks for your input! Here are a few more pieces that I found in this field over the past year. There is a Madison triangle and what I think to be an Adena Blade so that helps put them all into context. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435234665.853309.webp
 
looks you are in the rite place. nice big tan point
 
Nice finds, here in N. Illinois I'm finding Hemphill, Snyders, hopewell and Madison's. Not sure what you have, good luck.
 
These were all found in southern Illinois.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom