Illinois forum is LAME-O

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what'cha want to talk about?how about a group hunt in a couple weeks?

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys: I check here everyday also, no conversation going on for some reason. Ive posted a few links that should interest Some of you Illinois folks,Me,, Im from Southern Illinois, maybe it will pick up when it gets colder out?
Hey,, Deer Season Is almost upon us,, Be careful If any of you coin/relic hunt in or close to the Woods, Alot of Younger kids will shoot at anything that moves out there Deer Hunting<G>.
Did any of you read about the Flatboat that was Discovered in the Ohio River Close to where the Ohio meets the Mississippi,,America Illinois,, Guess it's somewhat of a Ghost town now? They are Saying This Flatboat was built in the early 1800's,put together with wooden pegs & the Only Known Flatboat of that time period that has been found,, there was a story about it in our Local paper.
Les

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all-

I'd really like to get a group hunt together in October to meet up with some fellow detectorists in the area. I have a place in mind, although I'm not sure how to go about finding out if this is a good spot or not. It's the fairgrounds in Waukegan that appear on the map in 1861. My husband I went there this weekend and didn't have much luck. We were only there for an hour, though. I found a '43 wheat cent laying on top of the ground.

Any thoughts???

sniper-medic

Jun 21, 2007
Mendota, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Spectrum DFX, and White's Spectra VX3
Les,
You got a link to read about that boat....Sounds kind of interesting......Where was it found ? Someone dredging or what ?

Randy

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Randy: I don't have a link at this moment, It was in our local paper which comes out every Monday,,The paper name is ("The Monday Pub")
(Vol)28#37 September 17th-2007, Reppert Publications,Anna,Illinois,62906 Here is part of the article!

Robert Swenson Associate Professor at Southern Illinois University, School of Architecture,Carbondale Ill, is overseeing the removal of the Flatboat,which has been named America,since it was found Close to the Ghost Town America IL. & Olmsted IL,,along the Ohio River
For More than a hundred years Flatboats traveled American Waterways with Passengers & Loads of Goods,Supplies etc,But usually at a Journeys end these vessels were broken up & Sold for the Lumber,none Preserved for future generations to See.
John Schwegman a local resident of Olmsted Contacted Siuc about the Flatboat which was at the time part submerged along the Ohio River just a few miles From where it joined with the Mississippi River.
It took nore than a year to get permits & Property access permissions, When the River Level Dropped,,Mark J. Wagner an archaeologist with Siuc,Center of archaeological investigations Led the Preservation effort along with Robert H. Swenson,,
The Flatboat is the Only known remaining Shoe box Shaped Example Of a Flatboat built in America,Out of a Estimated 100,000 Flatboats that traveled American Waterways, Flatboats were used from around 1780 to the 1900's & were one of the main ways that Pioneers Of America Moved Crops & Other Commodities to Market in the Early 1800's, The Flatboat was about 45 feet long & 12 foot wide,this Flatboat was constructed with Wooden Pegs, rather than nails ,it's Construction didn't match any previous written accounts of Flatboat Construction down through History,So this Find Has Gave a Unique Peak At unknown History. The Pic in our paper Showed a backhoe removing part of the Flatboat.

This is almost word for word out of Our paper Also,
Les

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
les said:
Hi Randy: I don't have a link at this moment, It was in our local paper which comes out every Monday,,The paper name is ("The Monday Pub")
(Vol)28#37 September 17th-2007, Reppert Publications,Anna,Illinois,62906 Here is part of the article!

Robert Swenson Associate Professor at Southern Illinois University, School of Architecture,Carbondale Ill, is overseeing the removal of the Flatboat,which has been named America,since it was found Close to the Ghost Town America IL. & Olmsted IL,,along the Ohio River
For More than a hundred years Flatboats traveled American Waterways with Passengers & Loads of Goods,Supplies etc,But usually at a Journeys end these vessels were broken up & Sold for the Lumber,none Preserved for future generations to See.
John Schwegman a local resident of Olmsted Contacted Siuc about the Flatboat which was at the time part submerged along the Ohio River just a few miles From where it joined with the Mississippi River.
It took nore than a year to get permits & Property access permissions, When the River Level Dropped,,Mark J. Wagner an archaeologist with Siuc,Center of archaeological investigations Led the Preservation effort along with Robert H. Swenson,,
The Flatboat is the Only known remaining Shoe box Shaped Example Of a Flatboat built in America,Out of a Estimated 100,000 Flatboats that traveled American Waterways, Flatboats were used from around 1780 to the 1900's & were one of the main ways that Pioneers Of America Moved Crops & Other Commodities to Market in the Early 1800's, The Flatboat was about 45 feet long & 12 foot wide,this Flatboat was constructed with Wooden Pegs, rather than nails ,it's Construction didn't match any previous written accounts of Flatboat Construction down through History,So this Find Has Gave a Unique Peak At unknown History. The Pic in our paper Showed a backhoe removing part of the Flatboat.

This is almost word for word out of Our paper Also,
Les
Hi Les!! :D Boy, this IS interesting!! Sounds like these flatboats were like miniature barges. It is amazing that the wood lasted that long, without rotting and breaking up. But, someone found a wooden "submarine" from the Civil War that the South had used. I think a movie was made about that...... You mention that the article said they had to get permits and such. all the beuracratic hoops we have to jump thru here in the US as treasure-hunters really burns my chaps! But, i was just reading about what our friends in the UK have to do just to take ownership of a coin that is over 200 years old! And, it does not matter if it is on private land there, either! Those laws still apply to some 'Archaelogolic Act" or something.....miles of paperwork and waiting, etc.....so, i gues we ain't got it so bad when compared to other countries. (I hear Greece is even worse than the UK laws!) Treasure really si where you find it. I remember reading about someone that found an old ORIGINAL copy(I think there were a dozen made back then, not sure exactly) of the US-Constitution in someone's barn back East! Wow, that mustuv been a heart-pounding find, eh? stvn.

BONECHOP

Apr 26, 2007
Lisle Il.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I know what you mean.
I what to know what are some good fine people are doing and where?
I stuck up here around Du page county where you cannot hunt. Only the forest rangers all have metal detectors. I know this was very good place from the civil war era.
If someone can tell me of any place's up here for old coins.
I have been in some good places that should me hot, but only found some very old beer bottles from the Joliet Brewrey.
SO HOW BOUT IT ANYONE CAN HELP ME.

Attachments

• bonechop2.jpg
    bonechop2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 584

rcawdorswife

Aug 26, 2007
Hello!
The other day while MD'ing, a woman told me about a deserted amusement park in Waukegan. It is off Sheridan Rd. and I believe it use to be called BK's something or another. She told me it was located after several mobile home parks coming from the North. If you didn't know it was there you would pass it. Ill see if I can find any other info on it.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of old coins to be found
you just need to know were to look and how to research
me and merf found a field loaded with old stuff
and a few old coins to boot
i found 3 or 4 1860s indians a 1854 canadian half penny a 1853 half dime
(as well as merf,he nabbed a 1866 sheild nickel)
1832 button ,a general issue CW cuff button 20 or more misc buttons, musket balls ,pistol shot
an indian arrowhead tons of chips maybe a spear point
what am i forgetting? OH (you just need to know were to look and how to research)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no it isn't... :icon_jokercolor:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sidewalk tear up ::)

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks nick,and sidewalks are ok with me edde(or woods,or teardowns or beaches)for me its 1/2 the dig,1/2 the get together during,lunch,and afterward(the bs sessions).i'll tell ya the last one we all got together its was AWESOME(again,greg the arracharra....fantasic)good group of guys bsing,couple beers,great weather,joking about the mushroom hunters.if this ain't what its all about i just don't know.oops sorry i said good group,there Fning great!THIS SUMMER IS GOING TO ROCK!......don't knock it if ya haven't tried it mister :wink:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, its lame-o again...

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't take much,murph was saying something about a private chat

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, but im not paying money just to be able to join a private chat!!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
T-Fiend, resolve the AGPcpq.sys BSOD lockup/reboot error on my GW CX-2600 series laptop. Lame-O enough for you? Maybe. I get excited watching grass grow. Not just short-bus rider excited either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread