I'm Batman

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm Batman - Update: Dream Box - 107+ Keepers

Picked up 2 boxes of quarters today. Searched the one and unpacked the other. The searched box was a solid 2020 P Weir Farm ATB quarter box. Except there were a few (44) 2020 W American Samoa ATB quarters (Bat Coin). The unpacked box looks to be the same 2020 P Weir Farm ATB quarters, I've already set aside 5 (W)enders.

Update: Just finished the 2nd box and discovered 107 2020 W American Samoa ATB quarters. I left 3 (W)enders unopened to sell so the total at minimum is 110. The other 2 (W)ender rolls I opened as the crimping was a little loose and didn't want to have to hear the whining from an eBay buyer saying the roll was tampered with.

The grand minimum total of the 2 boxes is 154 2020 W American Samoa ATB quarters.

I'm going to return to the bank tomorrow and clear out any boxes that they will spare. From now on...

source.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been trying to land this exact same score for a month now. Picking up 4-6 boxes per week. Asking if banks have any boxes of uncirculated quarters. If they can ask Dunbar to deliver some uncirculated quarters this week. Nope. Nothing but 100% circulated quarters. I've found about 15 W's in total, and that has been a freaking SLOG.

Maybe Florida has more retail activity going on right now than where I live (every is shut down in Maryland). I dunno. Getting frustrated. I haven't even seen a single 2020 design, except in the proof sets I bought from the mint.

32L8621.jpg

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
RHF - I'll easily surpass the 44 in the first box. I'm halfway through the second with 40 so far. I was going to sell the (W)enders on eBay, but some of the rolls so far have 4-5 Bat coins. I'm going to clear out my branch this morning (whatever they will spare). And then I'm going to scrounge up boxes from other branches in the area.

Last year I found 67 Lowell West Point quarters out of 2019 P American Memorial ATB boxes. When I find the solid boxes, the previous W issue is mixed in. The quarter hunt for the past year has renewed my interest in hunting. I've been in the game for 40 years and it has been tiresome the last 5 years with minimal finds. With the quarter hunt, I haven't touched a half box (I still pick up loose rolls) since last April and I'm loving it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are Batman Robin those quarters lol Dang good score

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Good lord... That is insanity. A 100-W box? Market value on each of those bat-Ws is probably equal to three 90% silver halves. How long would it take to find 300 90%ers? And you landed 150 of those buggers in one trip to the bank.

Well, the 2020 designs have to arrive in my neck of the woods eventually. I think I need to get set up at a 2nd bank, somewhere with a different provider, cast a wider net...

I've been considering ordering coins out of Baltimore, driving up on Saturdays. Baltimore has a federal reserve branch bank.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Good lord... That is insanity. A 100-W box? Market value on each of those bat-Ws is probably equal to three 90% silver halves. How long would it take to find 300 90%ers? And you landed 150 of those buggers in one trip to the bank.

Well, the 2020 designs have to arrive in my neck of the woods eventually. I think I need to get set up at a 2nd bank, somewhere with a different provider, cast a wider net...

I've been considering ordering coins out of Baltimore, driving up on Saturdays. Baltimore has a federal reserve branch bank.

The pictures are just a small fraction of what was found. I didn't even photograph the Do Not Sell stash. About 30 are grading candidates where I would expect a minimum ms65 grade but more likely in the 66 and and higher grades. TxAg is the first to get one of the grading candidates. He got a deal (he set the offer price and I took less). I'm hoping he sets the bar at ms67. Looking at the market value of high grade early releases, the 30 alone would be $1500 at the low end ($50/coin). The rest of the pile will yield another $1000.

If anyone on TNet wants to acquire a 2020 W American Samoa ATB quarter, shoot me a PM.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!
That’s what I dream of opening every time I buy a quarter box.
Congrats

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Awesome!
That’s what I dream of opening every time I buy a quarter box.
Congrats

My West Point hunts have been Feast or Famine. I scored big on the Lowell last year and snagged a few of the American Memorial. 1 lonely WiP and no San Antonio or River of No Return. Now, I'm swimming in the Bat Coin. I'm just hoping that my good luck continues in the new year. I will say the quarter hunting has been much more enjoyable than the tedious half dollar box churn.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I see they are selling on E bay for about $1.50 so that is a good score. But i must be missing something for i saw a proof set of 5 selling for $37.00 reg uncirculated like i said about $1.50 each.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I see mentioned the Weir Farm box. Interesting is Weir Farm is the only national park in Connecticut.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I see they are selling on E bay for about $1.50 so that is a good score. But i must be missing something for i saw a proof set of 5 selling for $37.00 reg uncirculated like i said about $1.50 each.

Yes, P/D ATB quarters sell for about $1.50 for those looking to complete the series for their albums. Most albums don't include the San Francisco business strikes or the West Point issues. Some albums will have space for the respective proofs. The San Fran business strikes and West Point quarters are in a different market altogether. I hooked up TxAg with a grading candidate. Those won't be put on eBay. The ones with nicks, scratches, blemishes due to the coin processing are being sold on eBay. They will differ in price. Last year, I sold the Lowell pile individually on a weekly auction basis with the average price of $10/each. Some weeks, they went high ($20) but more often they realized in the $9-$12 range. I don't have time to list each one auction style so I set it up as a Buy It Now for a single quarter at $9.99/each. I already have a pile of parcels going to the post office this morning. Those that buy multiple quarters will have the opportunity to buy a grading candidate for $25/each. I'm well aware of the market value of West Point quarters as I've sold over 80 listings of various West Point quarter issues.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The pictures are just a small fraction of what was found. I didn't even photograph the Do Not Sell stash. About 30 are grading candidates where I would expect a minimum ms65 grade but more likely in the 66 and and higher grades. TxAg is the first to get one of the grading candidates. He got a deal (he set the offer price and I took less). I'm hoping he sets the bar at ms67. Looking at the market value of high grade early releases, the 30 alone would be $1500 at the low end ($50/coin). The rest of the pile will yield another $1000.

If anyone on TNet wants to acquire a 2020 W American Samoa ATB quarter, shoot me a PM.

Again, if anyone wants one, send me a PM. They are selling fast on eBay. Just received an $150 order last night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread