What's new

Im curious on the vintage of this shell

Giant056

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2007
Messages
2,873
Reaction score
469
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious on the vintage of this shell

I've never seen a rifle shell with the primer peened in like this.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 110.webp
    Picture 110.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 304
Re: I'm curious on the vintage of this shell

MilitaryCollector said:
US cartridge company, 1918
Thanks a lot for the reply, I was wondering about the 18 on the head stamp. It must be this cartridge had problems with the primer falling out or something, maybe it was designed to be fastened like this. Makes me wonder how many accidents they had during assembly of these cartridges, I'll bet every now and then one would ignite during assembly.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm curious on the vintage of this shell

All military ammo that I have seen has the primer peened in place. In the case of the one you found, it is peened in 3 places. Modern military contract ammo uses a circular type peen. It is not quite as easy to see. Mil spec ammo also has a sealer around the primer to make it more moisture resistant and usually a sealer on the bullet to case joint as well. Maybe that is why the stuff will shoot just fine after 60 - 70 years. I recently fired multiple boxes of 45 ACP ammo that used steel cases and was made in 1943. I shot just fine.

Bob
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm curious on the vintage of this shell

That's nice to know RJGMC, never knew that. I'll bet if I took a look at a bunch of shells I found back when Fort Custer state campground was still legal to hunt I'd see what you mean by the newer type of peen they used.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm curious on the vintage of this shell

I once was given a bunch of .45 ACP ammo dated 1908! I went out and shot them up only to find out they were rounds loaded to test the 1911 military pistol before the Army adopted it. Dumb old me! They are very rare collector's cartridges now! I was merely a kid at the time is my excuse. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm curious on the vintage of this shell

green check?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom