What's new

Im dyin here cmon

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
This I two days worth. Hate being the last one out. All water walkin. No fields plowed yet here. Was really counting on today with warm weather and low water. One little hammerstone and a busted quartzite.
 

Attachments

  • image-2312431041.webp
    image-2312431041.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Oh I did get permission to hunt plowed fields in Pennsylvania in February but I only have a month to do it and I need the rain in the first week or two. Hope it works out.
 
What is a hammer stone? I mean, how is it different form a hand sized rock?
 
In my opinion a hammerstone can be large or small. It's a rock that you can see damage on one end or both and can tell its not natural damage. Smaller ones could be used for knapping and larger ones for multiple uses that require busting things up.
 
What is a hammer stone? I mean, how is it different form a hand sized rock?

Cool Finds there bsit1361! :icon_thumright:
A hammerstone used in the knapping or flaking of points and artifacts. If it is okay with bsit1361, this is one that I found this last late fall.

folder 3 004.webp
 
GrizLeeBear said:
What is a hammer stone? I mean, how is it different form a hand sized rock?

Honestly, the two can be tough to distinguish. Hammer stones normally have some polish and at least one spot that shows Knicks and dings.

image-1021853465.webp



image-297968585.webp

Here are a few of my better ones. Notice the polish and the worn part of the stone in my second pic. I hope this helped.
 
Thank you. I hope I never quit learning new things. I wonder how many of these I have kicked down a trail?
 
GrizLeeBear said:
Thank you. I hope I never quit learning new things. I wonder how many of these I have kicked down a trail?

Lol! Probably no more than I have. Sometimes I'll find hammer stones that I can tell have been used, but I don't keep them. I will toss them out of the way of the plow, but only keep the nice ones. Bits nice finds there. If I were in water hunting this time of year, I would keep a flake!! Your point is really cool!!
 
Thanks guys! Nc your stones looks like my knapping tool box. Haha
 
You got a couple of nice ones. You still moving?
 
It won't be long. Bad storms here right now. Spring is around the corner at least u scored a few. :)
 
Will be moving as soon as I get this house sold.
 
Will be moving as soon as I get this house sold.


How is the market in your area? I know you are looking forward to your new patch of land. BTW your thread is on top as a sticky. :thumbsup:
 
Market sucks. Had 2 showings since Xmas. Was hoping to be on the old farm by feb first. Awesome cant believe my thread made it so far. Hope the new comers head there to introduce themselves !
 
bsit1361 said:
Thanks guys! Nc your stones looks like my knapping tool box. Haha

I have had others tell me the same. I'm not sure why, but I find way more tools than points. I guess it's because I need to fine tune my eye. Stop looking at all of the larger stones and focus on small ones.
 
I have had others tell me the same. I'm not sure why, but I find way more tools than points. I guess it's because I need to fine tune my eye. Stop looking at all of the larger stones and focus on small ones.

Its probably because you are looking on early sites. That is why I find more tools than points. I havent found a Woodland site yet.
 
I do a double sweep when water walking and beach combing. I do a search for quartz and flint then I do a search to look at the larger rocks. Usually there's a mix of both. Found 1 good ax last year and 5 brokes plus manos and nutters etc... My hunting partner found plenty of knives and points but no hardstone. Same site and same time. We are usually together when we hunt. I'm all ways a few steps behind though.
 
bsit1361 said:
I do a double sweep when water walking and beach combing. I do a search for quartz and flint then I do a search to look at the larger rocks. Usually there's a mix of both. Found 1 good ax last year and 5 brokes plus manos and nutters etc... My hunting partner found plenty of knives and points but no hardstone. Same site and same time. We are usually together when we hunt. I'm all ways a few steps behind though.

I like to be the tagalong as well. Just as you mentioned, my buddy finds points galore. No hard stone. It all falls into a persons interest I suppose.
 
If it was a good piece of land I believe many periods might of lived in those spots. As one tribe left a few 100 yrs later another tribe would find the same spot and live there.
@ bist I have a heavy box already packed for you. Friday I will ship it and you can check to see if they are any good. If you like it let me know. They are different from before. I still have most of the others. Thanks, rock
 
Not bad, better than my last hunt. Interesting color on the Quartzite, looks yellow-green in the pic. Don't think I've seen that color before, Thanks for the view.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom