I'm having a horrible time trying to figure out this new Deus..

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duty called and put a hold on a hunt today but I will post a couple pics of a few finds with the AT Pro. I just hope I have as much luck with the XP when I get my head wrapped around it. This stuff I found at a pre-civil war house site pretty much like the one we hunted Saturday. Note the rust stains on the AVC plate.
I'm a coin guy, so the 1862 seated dime looks gorgeous to me. I'm not familiar with the AVC plate - I see (from a quick search) that it's an Alabama Volunteer Corps cartridge plate? Cool.

Those targets you've photographed are very big. Here's what I mean by that: I've found that another special capability of my Deus is it's ability to pick out very tiny non-ferrous targets in amongst the iron. Are you looking for smaller relics, or large items like that AVC plate?

Please check out what I said in this thread last July: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...farm-pounding-instrument.657405/#post-6776936

Note my comment: "...but what impressed me most was the XP Deus' ability to detect very small targets even as I rapidly covered the acres of farmland."

Maybe your AT Pro is actually the right tool for the type of detecting you're doing, if you're looking for larger relics like the plate? I'm not saying that the Deus can't find those, but the Deus' signal/sound updates are so fast that I think that as you scan it across a larger target, that target might actually sound like multiple things. Your plate with rust on it might actually sound like 3 brass targets and 2 iron targets all together.
Have you air-tested the plate under the Deus? (To hear what it sounds like)

- Brian

OP
OP
M

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a coin guy, so the 1862 seated dime looks gorgeous to me. I'm not familiar with the AVC plate - I see (from a quick search) that it's an Alabama Volunteer Corps cartridge plate? Cool.

Those targets you've photographed are very big. Here's what I mean by that: I've found that another special capability of my Deus is it's ability to pick out very tiny non-ferrous targets in amongst the iron. Are you looking for smaller relics, or large items like that AVC plate?

Please check out what I said in this thread last July: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...farm-pounding-instrument.657405/#post-6776936

Note my comment: "...but what impressed me most was the XP Deus' ability to detect very small targets even as I rapidly covered the acres of farmland."

Maybe your AT Pro is actually the right tool for the type of detecting you're doing, if you're looking for larger relics like the plate? I'm not saying that the Deus can't find those, but the Deus' signal/sound updates are so fast that I think that as you scan it across a larger target, that target might actually sound like multiple things. Your plate with rust on it might actually sound like 3 brass targets and 2 iron targets all together.
Have you air-tested the plate under the Deus? (To hear what it sounds like)

- Brian
Actually, that plate is not as large as it may look. There were two versions of that plate one small and one that would be about the size of a US box plate this is the smaller of the two. It's only about 2 3/4" wide and maybe 2 " tall. I'm looking for anything civil war or colonial. That could be tiny buttons to something like a 32 lb round cannon ball which I have two of. I have found thousands of different bullets which are small, some larger than others. That AT Pro likes small targets too. Buckshot will drive me crazy sometimes. I hunt everything from fields, woods, ponds to creeks and everything in-between. Hopefully I'll get the hang of the XP before it's over.

Saturday while we were out we were hunting in a fairly clean field and I did find a small cuff button and a small piece of melted lead. I also found a tiny piece of brass rod that someone had cut off with some sort of pliers. That thing was only 1/4" long and maybe 1/8th" around. That was down 5 or 6 inches so I see what people say about it's ability to find very small targets. I'm not sure if the Pro would have picked that one up or not I didn't have that with me at the time.

I love to find old coins when out, although I don't actually just go out after them we do find them fairly often. I'll tell a short story about coins and one that makes my head hurt thinking about it. One day me and a hunting buddy were hunting an old home site and The place was littered with old shotgun shells. I got another reading after digging three in a row. It sounded good and there were four other targets in an area about 10' square area. it was getting late and were on the way out when I stumbled on them. I marked all of them and My buddy was right there and I told him check this out while I dig this one over here. I dug another shotgun hull and that target I let him have turned out to be a 1793 liberty cap no pole half cent. the sad thing is all the other targets were shotgun hulls too. I painfully dug all those targets while my buddy was dancing around like a prom queen on graduation night. Just goes to show it don't pay to be a nice guy.:'(

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe see if you can find someone else who has one and switch coils to see if your coil might be the problem. I don't know it is just a thought I tried a few different coils on my AT gold and it was a big difference between different coils. The only original coil made by garrett that I have is the sniper coil. So maybe a different coil can help you. I know mine is a different machine, but we still can all have bad coils.

OP
OP
M

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe see if you can find someone else who has one and switch coils to see if your coil might be the problem. I don't know it is just a thought I tried a few different coils on my AT gold and it was a big difference between different coils. The only original coil made by garrett that I have is the sniper coil. So maybe a different coil can help you. I know mine is a different machine, but we still can all have bad coils.
All of the people I know who have a deus have older units and I don't know if they would work or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread