XP Deus is an iron-loving farm-pounding instrument!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XP Deus is an iron-loving farm-pounding precision instrument!

Hi everyone. The other day I posted that the http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...x-800-coin-shooting-park-slaying-machine.html

My XP Deus got jealous, so I took it out to a historic farm property that has produced King Georges, crotal bells, and my favorite find: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...find-1753-spanish-one-real-few-weeks-ago.html

I went to the farm yesterday morning and this morning each for about 90 minutes because the farmer had "deep plowed" a section of his cover crop in preparation to plant pumpkin seeds. I was hoping that he'd bring to the surface some old coins that were too deep for my initial passes through this field; I have thoroughly and systematically hunted this field long-ways at first and then cross-ways. There was a 1700's/1800's home on this property; the well still remains in the middle of the field.

Anyway, sadly I did not find any old coins - just a modern dime. I did find a few interesting buttons and what might have been an earring, but what impressed me most was the XP Deus' ability to detect very small targets even as I rapidly covered the acres of farmland. I find that I have to swing the Equinox pretty slowly, but the Deus on the other hand likes to be swung quickly - yet still sounds off on even the smallest bit of lead.
And I didn't get fooled by much iron along the way. Sure I dug a few iron targets (picture of my junk included below - and I was digging anything with a chance at greatness) but one of the main reasons I bought the Deus was that in this exact field the Nox was struggling with all the old nails and other iron targets. Maybe I've just learned to listen to the Deus in a way that I couldn't with the Nox, I don't know - but in this field I'm much more confident with the Deus. And I can confidently say: I don't think there are too many more good targets in this specific area of the farm (good news: there are many, many more acres to search. The farmer is getting ready to harvest barley from about 20 acres nearby, and once it's harvested then that field is fair game).

As for the targets that made me happiest:

- The first button is tombac, but has a rim around the edge that I haven't seen on other tombacs. Any thoughts on that one? I'm guessing it's 1700's but not sure if it's early or late.

- The second button has a cool flower/swirl pattern on it. The outer rings remind me (just a tiny bit) of a chain cent. It's very thin and I'm not sure of its age, but I'd guess 1800's.

- The third item looks like an earring, and my family's consensus is that it's a modern costume jewelry piece. Anyone see any reason to think otherwise?

Oh, in the first picture below the close-ups: I liked that bottle ring/tip because it looked old to me, and next to that is what I think is an old pocket knife.

Thanks for checking out the story!

- Brian

skNkt7C.jpg
rbnQ6pR.jpg zTppb0H.jpg
WSeb1bA.jpg rylsaOQ.jpg
aXrJwdm.jpg azBrXJe.jpg

mij6zpN.jpg CeKF2LG.jpg
sPV2N9C.jpg u0tQ8vq.jpg

Upvote 11

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a fun day!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like you digging lots of targets, even though there was no coinage this time out.
I have found that freshly plowed/disced can produce an another round of targets, but once the ground has firmed up/sunk down again, it produces even more.
Fluffy soils are not always the greatest for signal depth, though the Deus seems better at sniffing them out over the previous Minelabs as they seem to hate air.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like you digging lots of targets, even though there was no coinage this time out.
I have found that freshly plowed/disced can produce an another round of targets, but once the ground has firmed up/sunk down again, it produces even more.
Fluffy soils are not always the greatest for signal depth, though the Deus seems better at sniffing them out over the previous Minelabs as they seem to hate air.

Thanks for this advice, pepperj. Based on that it sounds like I should hit it again before the pumpkin vines start to grow too large. I?ll cover it crossways the next time.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way to keep the peace, very interesting finds too

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010