I'm having a horrible time trying to figure out this new Deus..

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been trying to figure out what this thing is trying to tell me but the more I try the worse it gets. I've hunted with an AT Pro for the past 6 or 7 years and that machine was probably the easiest machine I ever tried to learn. I could pretty much tell what it was before ever digging and found a ton of stuff with it.

It was getting old and I figured it couldn't last forever so I was thinking about a new one and really thinking about the newer AT Max. Just about the time I was getting ready to buy a friend of mine ran into hard times and asked if I wanted to buy his only used a few times Deus. He needed $ 800.00 but I gave him a grand because I knew he needed it.
That was about 4 months ago. I spent a month or more reading everything I could find about the machine and in the meantime got out in the woods with it every chance I got trying to get a grip on it. I tried the factory programs even put in a few programs I got out of some of the books I read. The problem I seem to have is that no matter what I do everything under the coil sounds the same. Now I know that trying to hunt a trashy site is not the best way to try to learn a new machine but where in VA. are you going to find a site with relics that is not trashy?
I went out to a spot I've been wanting to try for a long time yesterday with several different home sites dating back to the early 1700's. We were out there from sunup to after dark and never did get to the last one. Two of the house sites are in the grown-up woods which would lead to more problems, but I have hunted sites like that with my other machines before with good results. With this XP I could never tell what trash was and what was possibly something good because everything sounded so good, I had to dig it. The whole day I spent digging a 55-gal trash bag of nothing but rusty iron, Alum cans, and bottle caps. I'm not ragging on the XP because I know they are good machines but I'm having one heck of a time trying to figure it out. I also know it's probably my fault and I'm just missing something but just don't know what it is. Can someone that has one of these XP's give up a few hints on how they learned their machine.

First what coil is with it and what program were you using? I have never had a problem with my Deus. Now to learn a machine, a very trashy site is not really THE place to go. I have the HF coil on mine and use the Deus Fast program everywhere except the beach and tracking ground balance. I have it set on four tones.

Both the audio and visual readouts on the machine are your keys to success. If you get a grunt, you've got iron. On a very old site I dig bigger iron, might be a colonial ax or something. Under "44" or so on the meter, it's aluminum foil or small aluminum. You have to learn the sounds. It doesn't take very long. The "good stuff" starts coming in about 78 or so but a lot of small shallow gold can go as low as 45. Lots of nickels come in at 55 or so. I was with some guys digging at a house that was being resided with aluminum. The one "sound like an aluminum can" signal was a rev war belt plate.

Don't tweak the machine, try to find a cleaner lawn, put out a few coins and see what they sound like. The Deus II is actually better at not falsing on big iron.

The first thing I'd suggest is to watch every Deus YouTube video you can find by Gary Blackwell (don't bother watching his Deus 2 videos). I watched them all before I even bought my Deus so I knew what to expect. I actually was worried because it all sounded so complicated but it really isn't once you understand some of its basics.

Then, after watching them all, go see how things work for you. You'll probably then want to re-watch some of the videos since by then you'll have a better grasp of what you're seeing/hearing in the field and you'll realize what Gary was talking about in the videos. It takes time to master but it's well worth the effort.

When I first got mine I tested it on my property that I've detected on for decades. There was a blacksmith shop on the property 150 years ago so the property is absolutely full of old iron, along with hot rocks and more modern trash. So I was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to find mixed between all that junk on land that's been thoroughly detected since the 1990s.

The only change I'd recommend right away for a first-time user is to change to the XY screen. It will make it much easier to distinguish between trash and the good stuff. Again, Gary has a video about how the XY screen works.

Don't give up, it will be worth it!

Last edited:
First what coil is with it and what program were you using? I have never had a problem with my Deus. Now to learn a machine, a very trashy site is not really THE place to go. I have the HF coil on mine and use the Deus Fast program everywhere except the beach and tracking ground balance. I have it set on four tones.

Both the audio and visual readouts on the machine are your keys to success. If you get a grunt, you've got iron. On a very old site I dig bigger iron, might be a colonial ax or something. Under "44" or so on the meter, it's aluminum foil or small aluminum. You have to learn the sounds. It doesn't take very long. The "good stuff" starts coming in about 78 or so but a lot of small shallow gold can go as low as 45. Lots of nickels come in at 55 or so. I was with some guys digging at a house that was being resided with aluminum. The one "sound like an aluminum can" signal was a rev war belt plate.

Don't tweak the machine, try to find a cleaner lawn, put out a few coins and see what they sound like. The Deus II is actually better at not falsing on big iron.
It has the standard 9" X 35 coil running Ver. 5.21. First of all, I don't primarily hunt for coins; I'm a relic hunter, mainly Civil War. We do have many colonial sites here in eastern Va. but most of them were Civil War sites too. And yes, I do know trashy sites are not the best places to try and learn a new machine, but they are hard to find around here.

When he bought the machine the guy, he got it from had put in several custom programs in for the type hunting my friend did which is the same type stuff I hunt. He put in the sifter and hot sifter program that were supposed to be good for trashy sites. There is also the ultimate program installed and I put a couple programs that I got out of one of the books I read. One was the CTTodd relic program and one other that I can't remember right now.

I started out with the basic programs, fast and deep but didn't get far with those so I started trying the sifter program. I hunted with that for a week or two and found a couple shot bullets and the back of a cuff button along with a couple hundred bottle caps, pull tabs, and big hunks of rusty iron. The sad thing is that the rusty iron and those bullets sounded and read the very same thing on the VDI.

Hopefully I'll be able to get over to the shop my buddy got this thing from and maybe they can help me out with some of the basics.
The first thing I'd suggest is to watch every Deus YouTube video you can find by Gary Blackwell (don't bother watching his Deus 2 videos). I watched them all before I even bought my Deus so I knew what to expect. I actually was worried because it all sounded so complicated but it really isn't once you understand some of its basics.

Then, after watching them all, go see how things work for you. You'll probably then want to re-watch some of the videos since by then you'll have a better grasp of what you're seeing/hearing in the field and you'll realize what Gary was talking about in the videos. It takes time to master but it's well worth the effort.

When I first got mine I tested it on my property that I've detected on for decades. There was a blacksmith shop on the property 150 years ago so the property is absolutely full of old iron, along with hot rocks and more modern trash. So I was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to find mixed between all that junk on land that's been thoroughly detected since the 1990s.

The only change I'd recommend right away for a first-time user is to change to the XY screen. It will make it much easier to distinguish between trash and the good stuff. Again, Gary has a video about how the XY screen works.

Don't give up, it will be worth it!
Thanks.......I think I have looked at every video ever recorded most several times. I have a hard time learning that way, but I did get a lot of information about the basics of the machine. The problem is a lot of the videos that are around are recorded in the UK and that type hunting is a tad different than here. Another thing is you have to be careful because a lot of what's out there is for the new XP 11 and from what I hear they are different animals.

I played with the XY screen but decided to just stick to the horseshoe for now at least until I get a little more familiar with the machine. I know it's just something I have set wrong for it to read the way it does. I will get the same tone reading and VDI with a small brass item like a coat button that comes up with a rusty piece of iron that's at the same depth. Also, both items will register on the non-ferrous side of the scale. Now, the button and iron readings I mentioned were in this iron infested site. When I check a coat button in my test garden the VDI readings are a little lower with the button in the mid 80's and the iron around 93 when using todds relic program.

I know thick rusty metal will give most any detector problems but my old Minelab and the AT Pro would at least give some telltale sign that something might not be right so you can decide whether to dig or not.

I've found that since I generally hunt relics Gary's tutorials have worked very well for me, even though he's in the UK and I'm on the US east coast.

As for ferrous and non-ferrous both registering on the non-ferrous side of the horseshoe, that's why I use the XY screen almost exclusively. It's been reliable for me in differentiating good from bad. Once I got used to reading the XY and digging both good and bad targets to compare what I was finding to the tones I was hearing, I began to understand the tones much better. Now I don't usually even bother looking at the screen, I just go by the tones. This weekend I even went out without the remote, using only the backphones. It just takes practice.

Watch Gary's videos again on the XY screen, he does a great job showing how to read the screen, even when there's a good target right next to rusty iron. I've found coins within inches of a few very old rusty nails on more than one occasion. The Deus is unbeatable IMO for separating iron because of its remarkably fast recovery speed.

Last edited:
mxdigger, when I was learning my Deus 1 I took both it and my Equinox out to a site together. Since I had hundreds of hours on the Equinox I would use it first to find a target that sounded good, and then I would swing the Deus over the same target to hear what it sounded like and see what the Deus screen indicated. Maybe this technique would help you in your transition from the AT Pro to the Deus.
At the bottom I'll include a link to a video I did comparing the Nox and the Deus; I realize that's not perfectly helpful to an AT Pro user, but the concept might still be helpful.

One of the first things you said really has me scratching my head, though: "The problem I seem to have is that no matter what I do everything under the coil sounds the same." The Deus can be accused of many things, but having a monotone target indication sound has never been one of them. Good targets on the Deus have been described as sounding like injured squealing animals, while Smokey describes iron accurately as a "grunt".
mxdigger you probably didn't mean that things literally sound exactly the same, but your statement does leave me wondering what you're hearing. A good signal - whether it be button, bullet, buckle or coin - will sound very high-pitched and like a "squeak". Iron that's trying to trick you into thinking it's good will have some squeaks but also some grunts, and with practice you'll be able to tell where the edges of the iron are that give off that halo that fool detectors. The Deus 1 is so fast and precise that I find it does SO much better in iron than the Nox that I only use the Deus on old homesites. I've picked out buttons and even those tiny rivets in beds of iron with the Deus 1, so I know it's capable.

I'm sorry your struggling with it, mxdigger. It's possible it's just not the detector for you...but maybe with practices and some side-by-side comparisons with your AT Pro you'll get it.

Good luck!
- Brian

My videos of comparing the Nox and Deus:

mxdigger, when I was learning my Deus 1 I took both it and my Equinox out to a site together. Since I had hundreds of hours on the Equinox I would use it first to find a target that sounded good, and then I would swing the Deus over the same target to hear what it sounded like and see what the Deus screen indicated. Maybe this technique would help you in your transition from the AT Pro to the Deus.
At the bottom I'll include a link to a video I did comparing the Nox and the Deus; I realize that's not perfectly helpful to an AT Pro user, but the concept might still be helpful.

One of the first things you said really has me scratching my head, though: "The problem I seem to have is that no matter what I do everything under the coil sounds the same." The Deus can be accused of many things, but having a monotone target indication sound has never been one of them. Good targets on the Deus have been described as sounding like injured squealing animals, while Smokey describes iron accurately as a "grunt".
mxdigger you probably didn't mean that things literally sound exactly the same, but your statement does leave me wondering what you're hearing. A good signal - whether it be button, bullet, buckle or coin - will sound very high-pitched and like a "squeak". Iron that's trying to trick you into thinking it's good will have some squeaks but also some grunts, and with practice you'll be able to tell where the edges of the iron are that give off that halo that fool detectors. The Deus 1 is so fast and precise that I find it does SO much better in iron than the Nox that I only use the Deus on old homesites. I've picked out buttons and even those tiny rivets in beds of iron with the Deus 1, so I know it's capable.

I'm sorry your struggling with it, mxdigger. It's possible it's just not the detector for you...but maybe with practices and some side-by-side comparisons with your AT Pro you'll get it.

Good luck!
- Brian

My videos of comparing the Nox and Deus:

Ok let me make an adjustment. When I said everything sounds the same may have not been exactly what I should have said. When in that heavy iron environment most of the sounds you hear are more like a higher tone. I do hear iron grunts on iron that are by themselves but when they are massed together in one area the tones sound like what one would think a good signal would sound like. My son and I were comparing different targets with his AT Max and a lot of the signals would fool both machines but on several of them the XP gave good solid tones that were begging to be dug but when they were checked with the Max there was a mix of good and bad tones, pops and clicks if you will, just like my Pro will do on a sneaky iron target.

What program were you running in that first video? The only time I get that squeaky sound out of mine is when I go into a pitch program. and that sound drives me nuts. In my test garden I have several coins at different depths a drop 58 cal bullet, a 69 cal, a round 58 cal ball, an eagle coat button, a flat button, a 1" round flat washer, a large piece of parrot shell frag next to a clad quarter, a crushed aluminum can, one small piece of can slaw and one hole that just has a 4" piece of shell frag at 10". I've checked all of these with both the Pro machine and the XP. The XP hardly picks up the 4" piece of shell at 10" I just get a small click or pop but the AT Pro gives a fairly good grunt tone that you couldn't miss and I get a good clear signal on all of the rest of the good targets that varies with the size and depth of the target. The washer fools both the Pro and the XP and I have one 58cal bullet next to a shell frag at 10" that I get very little response out of either machine.

With all these targets with the XP machine I can't say I get a high pitch tone from any of them more like a mid tone on the Pro. The VDI does change from one target to the next but there is very little if any difference in the tone of any of the non iron targets except maybe the quarter which does sing a little brighter than the brassy items. But when I put it in that trashy site every signal sounds pretty much the same iron, brass, lead, alum except for a little grunt here and there and maybe a pop or two in-between.

Me and my son were talking about just going in there and digging every single piece of trash on that house site but it would probably take a week and a tandem truck or two to haul it off. The problem with that would be is that we are not the only people that might happen by. I would hate to think we would go in there and clean it up and help the next guy that came along when we leave. Don't ask me how I know what can happen when you do something like that.:laughing7:

I've been trying to figure out what this thing is trying to tell me but the more I try the worse it gets. I've hunted with an AT Pro for the past 6 or 7 years and that machine was probably the easiest machine I ever tried to learn. I could pretty much tell what it was before ever digging and found a ton of stuff with it.

It was getting old and I figured it couldn't last forever so I was thinking about a new one and really thinking about the newer AT Max. Just about the time I was getting ready to buy a friend of mine ran into hard times and asked if I wanted to buy his only used a few times Deus. He needed $ 800.00 but I gave him a grand because I knew he needed it.
That was about 4 months ago. I spent a month or more reading everything I could find about the machine and in the meantime got out in the woods with it every chance I got trying to get a grip on it. I tried the factory programs even put in a few programs I got out of some of the books I read. The problem I seem to have is that no matter what I do everything under the coil sounds the same. Now I know that trying to hunt a trashy site is not the best way to try to learn a new machine but where in VA. are you going to find a site with relics that is not trashy?
I went out to a spot I've been wanting to try for a long time yesterday with several different home sites dating back to the early 1700's. We were out there from sunup to after dark and never did get to the last one. Two of the house sites are in the grown-up woods which would lead to more problems, but I have hunted sites like that with my other machines before with good results. With this XP I could never tell what trash was and what was possibly something good because everything sounded so good, I had to dig it. The whole day I spent digging a 55-gal trash bag of nothing but rusty iron, Alum cans, and bottle caps. I'm not ragging on the XP because I know they are good machines but I'm having one heck of a time trying to figure it out. I also know it's probably my fault and I'm just missing something but just don't know what it is. Can someone that has one of these XP's give up a few hints on how they learned their machine.
England'sHistory

xpmetaldetectors

These guys should help!

Yes, iron will sound similar to (but not exactly like) a good target but only if the iron is large or misshapen, which is why I say switch to the XY screen.

A good target will have a completely different shaped line and in a different direction than the line for an iron target. Also a different line for hot rocks and coke. So even if the tones sound very similar, the XY reading makes the difference very obvious in most cases.

When there's a mix of good very close to bad targets you'll have to get used to reading subtle differences in the line since the screen will show a mixed signal. This is one of the big advantages with the Deus, the XY screen, especially for beginner Deus users.

Yes, iron will sound similar to (but not exactly like) a good target but only if the iron is large or misshapen, which is why I say switch to the XY screen.

A good target will have a completely different shaped line and in a different direction than the line for an iron target. Also a different line for hot rocks and coke. So even if the tones sound very similar, the XY reading makes the difference very obvious in most cases.

When there's a mix of good very close to bad targets you'll have to get used to reading subtle differences in the line since the screen will show a mixed signal. This is one of the big advantages with the Deus, the XY screen, especially for beginner Deus users.
If in doubt dig it out…! 🏴‍☠

I used my Minelab E-Trac for my first 7 years in the hobby and my XP Deus for the last 7 years.
I remember the transition was really strange at first but I read a lot of forum posts and watched all Gary's video's.
The Deus is a very complex machine but it can also be used with success right out of the box.
I did exactly what other Deus users told me to do and it really worked !

This is what I did - I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do.

(1) Keep it simple till your familiar with the machine - I ran in "Basic 1" for almost a month - it worked - lot's of finds !
(2) The Deus is mainly a "hunt by ear" machine but I printed out a Target ID Chart and kept it with me till I memorized it.
(3) I selected the "ID Norm" setting so what ever frequency I was in - the target numbers stayed the same.
(4) At first - hunt cleaner ground - don't rush into junk metal sites till you get familiar with the machine.
(5) There are so many programs you can use - it gets very confusing - especially to someone new.
Pick one or two programs and use them all the time and stick with them till you have confidence in them.
At this point the finds will really start to "fly out of the ground".
(6) Run your programs in the same "Tones" setting if possible - I only run in "Full Tones".
(7) Down the road you might want to consider loading Gary Blackwell's "Sifter Program".
This is a program that Gary wrote for hunting in iron infested areas but I've used it more then 95% of the time over the last 7 years. In fact, you could say greatly I over use it - heck, I've even pulled Gold Rings off beaches with this program - but I've gotten so familiar with "Sifter" that I've dug many thousands of find with it. But, Sifter is not a deep program - it's a separation in iron program - 6" to 7" Dimes max.

Once you get tuned in to your Deus your going to love it - it's the most comfortable swing all day machine ever made.

Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Last edited:
Ok let me make an adjustment. When I said everything sounds the same may have not been exactly what I should have said. When in that heavy iron environment most of the sounds you hear are more like a higher tone. I do hear iron grunts on iron that are by themselves but when they are massed together in one area the tones sound like what one would think a good signal would sound like. My son and I were comparing different targets with his AT Max and a lot of the signals would fool both machines but on several of them the XP gave good solid tones that were begging to be dug but when they were checked with the Max there was a mix of good and bad tones, pops and clicks if you will, just like my Pro will do on a sneaky iron target.

What program were you running in that first video? The only time I get that squeaky sound out of mine is when I go into a pitch program. and that sound drives me nuts. In my test garden I have several coins at different depths a drop 58 cal bullet, a 69 cal, a round 58 cal ball, an eagle coat button, a flat button, a 1" round flat washer, a large piece of parrot shell frag next to a clad quarter, a crushed aluminum can, one small piece of can slaw and one hole that just has a 4" piece of shell frag at 10". I've checked all of these with both the Pro machine and the XP. The XP hardly picks up the 4" piece of shell at 10" I just get a small click or pop but the AT Pro gives a fairly good grunt tone that you couldn't miss and I get a good clear signal on all of the rest of the good targets that varies with the size and depth of the target. The washer fools both the Pro and the XP and I have one 58cal bullet next to a shell frag at 10" that I get very little response out of either machine.

With all these targets with the XP machine I can't say I get a high pitch tone from any of them more like a mid tone on the Pro. The VDI does change from one target to the next but there is very little if any difference in the tone of any of the non iron targets except maybe the quarter which does sing a little brighter than the brassy items. But when I put it in that trashy site every signal sounds pretty much the same iron, brass, lead, alum except for a little grunt here and there and maybe a pop or two in-between.
mxdigger I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what program I was using in video 1. I'm pretty sure that in April 2021 and with that X35 9" coil I was using the FAST program with FULL TONES. Later in 2021 I got the 9x5" HF coil and I also started using the HOT program with FULL TONES, because I felt that the HOT program gave me much better depth.
I do know that I use FULL TONES on the XP Deus 1 on all programs; at one point I was testing a custom program that Gary Blackwell called "Sonar" but it only used 2 (or maybe 3) tones, and I hated that. I personally like to hear all the sounds and have the sound tell me a story.
(I'm the same way with my Equinox, where I use 50 Tones no matter what program I'm running.)

In the second video I use some programs that Grant Hansen was recommending; you can watch Grant's Deus videos on YouTube.

You've gotten some good advice here, mxdigger. It seems like you're putting in the hard work and doing the research on the Deus 1; I hope it "clicks" for you. If it doesn't...you can always continue using the AT line.

I used my Minelab E-Trac for my first 7 years in the hobby and my XP Deus for the last 7 years.
I remember the transition was really strange at first but I read a lot of forum posts and watched all Gary's video's.
The Deus is a very complex machine but it can also be used with success right out of the box.
I did exactly what other Deus users told me to do and it really worked !

This is what I did - I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do.

(1) Keep it simple till your familiar with the machine - I ran in "Basic 1" for almost a month - it worked - lot's of finds !
(2) The Deus is mainly a "hunt by ear" machine but I printed out a Target ID Chart and kept it with me till I memorized it.
(3) I selected the "ID Norm" setting so what ever frequency I was in - the target numbers stayed the same.
(4) At first - hunt cleaner ground - don't rush into junk metal sites till you get familiar with the machine.
(5) There are so many programs you can use - it gets very confusing - especially to someone new.
Pick one or two programs and use them all the time and stick with them till you have confidence in them.
At this point the finds will really start to "fly out of the ground".
(6) Run your programs in the same "Tones" setting if possible - I only run in "Full Tones".
(7) Down the road you might want to consider loading Gary Blackwell's "Sifter Program".
This is a program that Gary wrote for hunting in iron infested areas but I've used it more then 95% of the time over the last 7 years. In fact, you could say greatly I over use it - heck, I've even pulled Gold Rings off beaches with this program - but I've gotten so familiar with "Sifter" that I've dug many thousands of find with it. But, Sifter is not a deep program - it's a separation in iron program - 6" to 7" Dimes max.

Once you get tuned in to your Deus your going to love it - it's the most comfortable swing all day machine ever made.

Good Luck & Good Hunting !
Thanks, that's basically what I've been trying to do. The sifter, hot sifter and ultimate programs were loaded in the machine by the shop the machine was bought at. There was another program I found by CT Todd that I also loaded because it sounded like something I could use here. I've tried all of those but mostly the Todd relic program. It's a 5 tone program that uses only 3 tones, a low a mid and a high. The first two slots up to 30 or so are low tone and also the slots from 97 + are also low. In-between are breaks of mid to high. It sounded like a pretty simple program to use but must be used with the ID Norm turned off and I seem to have trouble with that. I got that out of the Andy Sabisch's book and it explains why the ID norm must be turned off.
The main problem with this machine is I believe it is smarter than I am. At the risk of telling just how old I am I'll say this. When I started hunting I used what was called a MetroTex. It was pretty much an all metal machine. All it had was a on off volume knob. It did have a Disc knob numbered 1 to 10 but it didn't make any difference what setting it was on it did the same thing. Then something called the Double Eagle came out and I traded my old MetroTex in and used that until I ended up smashing it up against a tree. That was the only machine other than my DMC 11 Nautilus (and now maybe this thing) that would have your blood pressure boiling and thinking about ending it all by jumping off a high cliff. I thought about banging that machine up against a tree many times but always stopped short because that thing would really talk when she was in the mood. I did throw it in the bush a few times only to go back a week later and drag it back home for another try. Then I bought this Mindlab, musketeer SX pro and it turned out to be a pretty good machine but I wasn't man enough to swing that thing all day it was un-balanced and weighed a ton. I quit hunting for a long time and when I got back in I bought the AT Pro and the rest is history.
I had been hearing about the Deus for many years but never thought much about spending that much for a metal detector, heck they were $2500 when they first came to town. I never ever thought I would shell out a $1000.00 for one either but that's just a couple hundred more than what I was going to spend on the AT Max I was going to get. I'm just putting this out so you guys know I didn't just get into this game last week and do understand at least a little about metal detectors And I have no doubt I'll figure this one out. I just gotta do what a lot of you guys are saying start all over with the basic program and go from there.

'brianc053', Thanks for your comments. I had seen your first video awhile back and you had me thinking about an Equinox 800 until this machine came up for grabs. I guess my thoughts on those preset programs on the Deus if I was just going to use those turn on and go programs, I may as well just stick to what I have. But now thinking about it there may be some logic in it.

Heading out now with program 1 punched in to see what I can dig up.

'brianc053', Thanks for your comments. I had seen your first video awhile back and you had me thinking about an Equinox 800 until this machine came up for grabs. I guess my thoughts on those preset programs on the Deus if I was just going to use those turn on and go programs, I may as well just stick to what I have. But now thinking about it there may be some logic in it.

Heading out now with program 1 punched in to see what I can dig up.
Good luck out there! Take some pictures of your sites and your finds just so we can get a sense for where you're detecting and how it's going.
- Brian

Mine frustrated the hell out of me when I first got it. I was used to using the AT Pro. But it's simply one of those things that just takes some time to learn and figuring out a program you like. Once I got to know mine I was like why the hell did I ever think this was hard to use.

Good luck out there! Take some pictures of your sites and your finds just so we can get a sense for where you're detecting and how it's going.
- Brian
Duty called and put a hold on a hunt today but I will post a couple pics of a few finds with the AT Pro. I just hope I have as much luck with the XP when I get my head wrapped around it. This stuff I found at a pre-civil war house site pretty much like the one we hunted Saturday. Note the rust stains on the AVC plate.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
Mine frustrated the hell out of me when I first got it. I was used to using the AT Pro. But it's simply one of those things that just takes some time to learn and figuring out a program you like. Once I got to know mine I was like why the hell did I ever think this was hard to use.
My biggest problem I have with learning something like this is, ADD, dyslexia, PTSD a hard head, and a host of other mind-boggling problems.:dontknow:

My biggest problem I have with learning something like this is, ADD, dyslexia, PTSD a hard head, and a host of other mind-boggling problems.:dontknow:
Just give it time. I'm quick to get frustrated with things and mine took me awhile to learn. But once I understood how to use it it has done me well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back