Im new to collecting cans, and have some questions!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to collecting cans, and have some questions!

Hi everyone! I am new to saving aluminum cans, and I had a few questions. My state does not have a deposit law, so I won't be turning them in for nickels, just selling them to a local scrapyard.

1. Should I crush the cans to fit more per bag?

2. Should the cans be rinsed out, or is that a waste of time and water?

3. Do you save aluminum food cans (like cat food, etc?) or just drink cans?

4. Do the scrapyards buy steel food cans, and do you save them?

5. What other household items can be saved and sold rather than just given away free to my city's recycling program??

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to learn how to make a few bucks in these increasingly tough times. Thank you all in advance!!

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC
Re: I'm new to collecting cans, and have some questions!

Hi Kidd,

My attempt at answers:

1. Yes, that way you can carry more with you and fewer trips save on gas money.
2. I don't rinse my cans.
3. Any aluminum can is good, soda and otherwise
4. I don't save steel cans, but I think others on the board may
5. From my house, it's just cans

Have fun with it and good luck.

KW

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crush all aluminum cans so you can put more in small places. If you can find a tossed out trash can or two, use that before puttin them in a bag.(32 gal is great).

steel cans will take a lot of space to make any money off of, better to take the top and bottom off, flatten them and give them to the city. they take up less room that way.

there are so many things that can pay off in recycling. copper/aluminim/brass/lead etc that you just have to look around. think about the electric cords from appliances, they don't have to be stripped to pay off.

Good luck with your efforts.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks KW and Davest, I appreciate the info. I took my daughter for a walk around her elementary school just now, and came away with 15 cans without even trying. I guess I'll do aluminum, and I'll keep an eye out for copper and brass too. Thanks!!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. yes that saves a lot of room.
2. i don't rinse them, but i do just shake out any extra liquid
3. aluminum is aluminum :wink:
4. i save the steel cans, they are 10 cents a pound by me. i however don't save them alone, i throw them in with my other steel that i have so it adds up fast for me.
5. pretty much anything but it depends on how much work you want to put into it. if you just want fast money do what davest said and cut the power cords off. they are 1.15 a pound where i am.

if you didn't know the average aluminum soda can, 6 ounce i think that are. it takes approximately 32 of them to make a pound

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again folks, I appreciate the info. Anyway, I picked up my first scrap today - 24 aluminum cans at the carwash on the way to work this morning, and my neighbor gave me about 20 aluminum tent pegs and a 6 foot length of 1/2" copper tube. I know it's not much, but it's a start! Thanks again everyone for the pointers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread