Im New To Scrapping And Have Few Questions

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
I'm New To Scrapping And Have Few Questions

I'm new to scrapping and have a few questions:
1) Are the scales at the scrapyard required to be calibrated for accuracy?
2) How is the price per pound for each type of metal determined by the scrapyard? How often does that change (daily, weekly, etc)?
3) Does having larger pieces of certain metals (like aluminum, etc) make them more valuable, or it just goes completely by weight?
4) is there a list or chart of the classifications of each types of metals (some metal, like copper have numbers like #1 or #2)

OP
OP
M

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
Re: I'm New To Scrapping And Have Few Questions

Forgot a few more....
5) Is it better to strip the insulation off of wires or leave it on?
6) Does the the size of the wire matter, or are all wires classified the same?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

1) Are the scales at the scrapyard required to be calibrated for accuracy? Don't know
2) How is the price per pound for each type of metal determined by the scrapyard? How often does that change (daily, weekly, etc)? they go by the dow on metal prices I think
3) Does having larger pieces of certain metals (like aluminum, etc) make them more valuable, or it just goes completely by weight? by weight
4) is there a list or chart of the classifications of each types of metals (some metal, like copper have numbers like #1 or #2) some sites show what each size is but not their prices
5) Is it better to strip the insulation off of wires or leave it on? I strip the thick or solid wire the wire like from small appliances, extention cords and other smaller sized wire I just leave the insulation on
6) Does the the size of the wire matter, or are all wires classified the same? it's not really the size as the type I think

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010

I am sure that the scales have to be audited by the state to make sure that they are correct.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a

MilitariaCollector said:
I'm new to scrapping and have a few questions:
1) Are the scales at the scrapyard required to be calibrated for accuracy?
2) How is the price per pound for each type of metal determined by the scrapyard? How often does that change (daily, weekly, etc)?
3) Does having larger pieces of certain metals (like aluminum, etc) make them more valuable, or it just goes completely by weight?
4) is there a list or chart of the classifications of each types of metals (some metal, like copper have numbers like #1 or #2)
Forgot a few more....
5) Is it better to strip the insulation off of wires or leave it on?
6) Does the the size of the wire matter, or are all wires classified the same?

1. While I cannot comment on your state (although I would imagine its a general rule) in Washington scales are cerified by a weights and measures bureau. I would imagine this is a general practice as it give the state an easy way to charge businesses to 'do business'

2. Price will depend on your region generally. I live in a relatively insular area and prices change a little more slowly, however 300 miles away at the port prices can change daily, and will typically be a fair bit higher.

3. Larger pieces will not help you (and in some cases can hurt you if they are too large to be considered prepped (like over 3' long). However, most yards do have thresholds where they pay more based on weight (for instance you get a .02 bump over 100 lbs)

4. You just kind of have to learn classification. #1 copper is generally clean/shiny buss bar, solid, unused water pipe, or clean wire 12ga or heavier (local definition) #2 is any other form of clean (non insulated or with no other metals present) copper. Used water pipe, thin gauge copper wire, etc.

5. Dirty (insulated) wire generally falls into a few classifications based on its 'recovery rate' (meaning how much clean wire can be reclaimed from the insulation). My rule of thumb: If I have a large lot, say 100 lbs of a type of single insulated wire I take 1 foot and strip it. Weight it with and without insulation thereby knowing the % recovery. Lets say it recovers 65% clean. (these prices used for illustration only and are nothing near market prices) 1 lb of clean copper wire is worth $1.00. If you leave it dirty 65% recovery pays .60. You would actually only gain .05/lb by cleaning it, or 5.00 on your 100lbs. Not worth it. On the other hand if you can gain .20 or .30/lb by cleaning you will gain 20 to 30$ on your 100lbs. ALWAYS know your recovery rate going in. You will be surprised how often your 75% recover wire will be classified at a lower rate. Don't be afraid to take your sample in so they can run the same experiment you did. My local guys are SUPER knowledgeable and have never been far off, but there are other games in town I wouldn't trust so far.

6. Wire has quite a few classification. Its generall based on gauge and insulation. A heavy gauge single insulated wire (like power line wire) is worth quite a bit more per lb than say network wire which is double insulated (individual insulated wires inside another later of insulation) Dirty wire its all based on recovery %. Clean wire is generally either #1 (12ga or heavier) or #2 (everything else) Also you will take a small hit (locally its .05/lb) if its plated copper (I believe its a zinc plating, but I hate to admit I have never asked, I just take the hit and move on)

I hope its been of some use to you.

-Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread