Im no geologist, but im finding some pretty good signs...

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no geologist, but i'm finding some pretty good signs...

I'll try to make this short but I have to explain how I got to where I am now. :) I went out scouting some areas a bit last weekend to scope out some areas that seemed like good old places to start detecting with my new Gold Bug DP I bought a few weeks ago. I didn't bring the detector with me because I didn't really do my ownership research and didn't want to be breaking any laws or pissin' off any miners. I basically, drove my truck to the tops of the local hills gently to get a good view of the areas. Nonetheless, as I got out of the truck, I did what every other treasure hunter does..I started looking down ! LOL...I did find a lot of geology out there that got my heart racing. Now, granted, I was merely parked on top of hills looking down into the arroyos to see where the natural water courses followed to get a good idea where to start next time out. I wasn't really looking for geologic specimens but from what I've read in my hours combing through old websites, books and such, I couldn't help but notice the geology of these hilltops. I have to be honest, in some of my research, there have been placer finds in this area in the late 1800's but I don't have much info on recent efforts. in these areas at all. By all means am I not done researching the history of this area. In fact, most of it is BLM Land and/or National Forest service. By first glance, down into the arroyos, there was not a shred of tailing piles or rock stacks from where I was looking. Anyhow, to wrap this up, my question for the experienced geologist types out there is this: when finding specimens like this lying on the hilltops looking down into these arroyos, is this what leads to the good stuff? And, since I am a detectorist what does a man do when he finds an outcropping of this dirty quartz exposed by rains and erosion?? Start digging? Ha Ha.....Any help from you experienced rock-hounds would be greatly appreciated. I might be on to something good here. ;D PS: There's lots more where this came from. I'm waiting until I have a free weekend to get the power washer out and clean these specimens up well enough to see what's inside of them....Maybe I'll find a few things to be happy about?

Attachments

• Quartz 06.jpg
    Quartz 06.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 594
  • Quartz 02.jpg
    Quartz 02.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 591
  • Quartz 01.jpg
    Quartz 01.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 857
  • Quartz 05.jpg
    Quartz 05.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 585
  • Quartz 04.jpg
    Quartz 04.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 597
  • Quartz 03.jpg
    Quartz 03.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 578
Upvote 0
Re: I'm no geologist, but i'm finding some pretty good signs...

Put it in a pipe crusher and pan it out. Luck to ya. :thumbsup:

I agree with GrayCloud. First don't wash them. Second if you don't have a rock crusher make one, they are simple and indispensible in your neck of the woods. In takes two pieces of pipe, one pipe cap and a piece of ¾" rebar. Get a piece of steal pipe about 4" inside dia. and 1' long and a piece of ¼"plate about a foot square and have it welded to one end of the pipe. Now find a pipe cap, flat on the end not rounded, that will fit inside that pipe and a piece of threaded pipe 18" long to fit the pipe cap. Screw the cap on and weld a 1' piece of rebar on the other end for a handle.

Now all you have to do is put your chunks in the larger pipe, insert capped pie and have fun making powdered rock or quartz.

Gramps

Just a suggestion. May work, may not.

Gold often hides as tiny specks between cryastals of quartz. Rather than crush everything, I'd first use a stiff toothbrush to get as much material from the sample as possible, and pan the results. Do let us know if you find something interesting.

That certainly looks like a vein of metalliferous material underneath the crystals. Would be interesting to hear what it is: lead, silver, antimony, pyrite even? Some of the photos show much more red than others. Difficult to make an identification without knowing the correct color for the sample.

Bornonfire, Check out the archives for my name. I did a video using a pipe chrusher. Easy to make and very portable. Whether you use my suggestion or not, a good piece of equipment to have around. youtube my name.... terry cieszki.... for the video. TTC

Thanks "Gramps" and "Terry" (TTC) for the excellent info on getting this stuff crushed for panning. That'll be coming soon, I reckon.

For "Tuberale" I am very interested in the geology of these specimens. I really want to know if I am on the right track oe wasting time here There are tons of these specimens everywhere- if you just look for it. The land that it's on is NFL with some portions of it being BLM. There are a few claims that belong to clubs out here so I am going to join up with them and give them my $80.00 just to be safe. The main claim areas are miles away down in some arroyos where the placer was found in the 1800's years ago. I have a feeling that I may sitting on the sources of some of these old placer finds. I mean. folks,. I am finding these specimens on the top of rolling hills. What now??

For your viewing pleaseure, I'm going to post more pics of these specimens and hopefully you folks can give me an idea of what the heck I am doing here! LOL........

All the best-

Attachments

• Quartz v1.1.02.2.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.02.2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 652
  • Quartz v1.1.15.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.15.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 426
  • Quartz v1.1.14.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.14.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Quartz v1.1.04.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.04.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 431
  • Quartz v1.1.02.2.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.02.2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 404
  • Quartz v1.1.02.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.02.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 440
  • Quartz v1.1.02.2.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.02.2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 462
  • Quartz v1.1.01.1.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.01.1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 426
  • Quartz v1.1.16.jpg
    Quartz v1.1.16.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 462

Bornonfire...In reply to your youtube comment... no.... no gold. Wish it did, but next time! Thanks for the comment. TTC

that vein running through it looks pretty promising, however what makes me lean away from gold is on both sides of the vein the "host" rock is the same color, this doesn't mean there isn't gold but not a good indicator (every region is different, rock types, blah blah)

CRUSH that sucker and see what happens, dont want to build a homemade stamp mill then beat that sucker with a 3lb hammer to powder and pan it out! Keep us posted!

The vein going through the "purplish" rock looked pretty anemic until I washed it off a bit just to see some color out. When I saw all of that quartz under that vein, I about doodied my pantaloons. There's a lot of quartz in all of the sececimins. in fact, one of them is all clean quartz!! Matrix? And some of it is dirty quartz! The kind that I hear is the kind we like to see. I'm no seasoned veterean but this sure is fun to look at and find the minerals just laying out there in the dirt. I think I will use AutoCAD to draw up a good plan for a crusher using a 12# sledge and see what I come up with. Meanwhile, I will be taking another trip into the hills this weekend if time permits and hopefully grab more specimens! Appreciate all the help and comments! Keep 'em coming!

prospectordamon said:
that vein running through it looks pretty promising, however what makes me lean away from gold is on both sides of the vein the "host" rock is the same color, this doesn't mean there isn't gold but not a good indicator (every region is different, rock types, blah blah)

CRUSH that sucker and see what happens, dont want to build a homemade stamp mill then beat that sucker with a 3lb hammer to powder and pan it out! Keep us posted!

Ya Know, I'm surprised "Klondike" didn't chime in on this one. He would know! ;D

dave wiseman said:
What is it you'd like to know?

ask this man, he knows LOL

Box them up and send them to me. I'll crush it and I might even tell you what I find. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back