Im on my way to vast riches...

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on my way to vast riches...

On 'Cyber Monday' I ordered my first detector. Backordered, delivered today about 5PM. Put it together, fixed dinner, glanced over the manual, and took it outside. Got a lot of beeps, figured out the discriminator, got a constant tone, dug up a... don't know what they're called. The metal tube spacer that keeps the gutter spikes from squishing the gutters.

Oh, well. Maybe someone dropped something over by the deck. Got a pretty consistent signal showing quarter / dime. Pushed the pinpointer button and narrowed it down. Dug around a little with my garden spade and the pinpointer that came in my package deal.

Huh, that looks like a coin.

Sure enough. A dime. I brought it in and washed it off using a little liquid hand soap. Lotsa corrosion. I could barely make out the torch on the back (obverse?), and Roosevelt on the face. After scratching a little with my fingernail and getting a magnifier, I can make out the year. 2002. Amazing amount of corrosion in just 12 short years, but it was about a foot from a sprinkler head...

So I'm $0.10 closer to paying off my $350.00 detector, and on my way to untold riches and fame. ;)

At $0.075 per hour, it's going to take a while...

How's that for my first hour-and-a-half in the hobby?

Upvote 22
Welcome to T NET...the adventure begins!!!

Welcome to the most addictive hobby in the world. Riches await you i'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

ahh the gutter spacers.. lol My yard was full of them and aluminum nails for siding when I first started. Good luck out there :icon_thumright:

The beauty is that the older the coin the better they hold up. I'm not even sure what the hell these new coins are made of lol. But a silver coin from the 16 or 1700s can look like it just came from the mint. I hope you find one some day soon

Well hey, you found a coin on your first try...I didn't!

It's what I call , "The thrill of the hunt"..."The smell of the great outdoors".......and "THERAPY" So you keep at it and you will be thrilled, you will get smelly, and you will keep your sanity. Many happy returns, vn

I thought you were going to post that you got accepted into Law School!

Welcome to t-net! :icon_flower::blob3::icon_flower: As soon as you have a couple free days, you're gonna dig a surprising variety of goodies! :icon_thumright:

Except for the newer coins which usually look cruddy, it's a happy surprise to find the variety of toning on various metals. I've dug several cents toned a mellow dark red, a totally black Merc dime, a nickel greened like it was copper, and a heavy gold ring with a thin layer of iron covering most of it! I was able to pop off the iron layer from the gold with my fingernail, bit by bit, to reveal a perfect gold ring. Salt water, fresh water, different soil conditions and even different types of trees & roots seem to produce different results in the same exact type of coin! For example, my red cents usually showed up under eucalyptus trees near salt water. Have Fun! Andi

Hello, and welcome to Treasure Net. This is my first year detecting. I started in late January and for the year so far I've collected nearly $100 in clad/modern coins. I don't hunt schools or parks so all the clad I find comes from houses I hunt. Be patient and learn your machine. Until you do dig every strong repeatable signal until you know what the machine is telling you. In no time at all you'll be a seasoned vet and posting all your silver coins, gold rings, and other goodies on here. Can't wait to see what you start finding. Good luck and happy hunting.

Welcome to the site, keep searching that yard of yours. My first year I learned allot about coins I never even knew existed. I found coins I never knew existed. My third time detecting I thought I found a gold coin only to find out the soil turned it a bright yellow color. I remember gasping out loud then rolling around on the grass laughing out loud at myself for thinking it was gold. I seen two acquaintances of mine from this site find things that they sold for totals well over a thousand or five thousand dollars. I looked up your coin on a favorite web site of mine to learn about American Coins, here is what it said about Composition: Copper-Nickel Clad Copper
Here is the link
2002 P 10C MS Roosevelt Dimes | NGC

I enjoy finding stuff, I have a very wide range of things that I like and enjoy posting about these things with people that have similar interest.
Good luck to you, nice thread, good story!

Someone said something about therapy. They nailed it. For me, getting outside is the big plus of this hobby. I have always loved history and once you really get into this thing, your research into both your sites and your finds will give you much history. People I work with have quit asking me " What is THAT worth " because I always told them I don't know and don't care, lol. If you're lucky enough to find something that will give you a few hundred or a couple thousand, you'll probably just invest it back into equipment thinking you'll surely find something more valuable. Just enjoy the things you see, the people you meet and the things you learn through this. You'll love this if you do!

Welcome to Tnet, this hobby is addicting. I have spent every Sat & Sun out detecting from sun-up to sundown since mid May (weather permitting). All my kids are grown and gone. I have dug 16 silver coins and tons of clad totaling $446.02. On average I find $1.50 per hour in most places, but have detected a couple places that averaged $5 - $6 per hour. Good Luck and don't forget you have a family to tend to.

First hour and a half!?!? AND you have a coin already??!

You are WELL on your way! Welcome the most frustrating hobby one could ever love! :)

Welcome to TNet. Good job on finding a coin, unfortunately, you do not realize that the dime is just the first step in your demise. This hobby can be quite addicting. Before long you will find something good (for me it is the silver coin), and it will really get going. Some of us spend the majority of our "free time" either detecting or thinking about detecting.

Embrace the madness!

Well you have "started the ball Rolling" good luck.
Davers

welcome! from one beginner to another. in my 1st 3 hunts, I found, junk, a modern dime, and penny AND my debt is twice yours! lol. like others say, dig everything at first and LEARN what your machine is telling you. i've found enough nails to build a shed. lol. enjoy yourself, and HH!

Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet!

Carolina Tom is right, HOOK LINE AND SINKER....your had now :laughing7: As others have said the time spent outside to get away from it all is great. Soon you will link up with others who share the same interest and you'll then find even more pleasure sharing in their finds and excitement as well as your own. Have fun bud and HH!!

Its all about the hunt, thats the hobby

Yep, another soon to be complete addict joins us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back