I'm Ready To Stop

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A married friend of mine just started the hobby, and he's labeled me his mentor. I am good with that, I do know lots about detecting after a decade of self teaching, which can help a beginner.

Week3. We have wasted several good weather days with him calling it quits after 2 hours, even less than that at times. "The wife has literally been out of town" twice, and he still quits early. I have been altering my own preferred hunts, seeking silver coins, which takes driving away from his city, not TOWARD IT, on relatively glorious weather days. Weather is rarely "good" here lately.

Here's the question. Do I start dumping on his requests to go? I've opened up a little a time or two about non comital of time with short meets. I thought today was fairly established as a serious detecting day, more than just 2 hours...the wife is gone for the weekend.

Do I dump him or be really forward with a lifetime friend, even more than I've been before? I wasted a great day today, all for a flimsy 2 hours again. I was pissed off but held it in.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hes a good Friend be Honest with him. This Hobby is supposed to be fun Ive hunted with people who quit after an hour or so they get frustrsted at not finding good stuff. I would tell him he can ask you for help or advice with the Hobby but it seems youve done that. I have a couple good friends Im very open and honest with. If hes a good friend he should understand, I dont think its really that big of a deal I would not think he would take it the wrong way. And if there are days you only want to hunt an hour or 2 you could hook up with him. I think being honest with him will only make your friendship that much better I would think he would respect you for being open with him. just my 1 cent I dont have 2 with 2 Girls in College lol He seems like a good friend for you to ask here on the forum in the first place keep it that way. Tommy

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or use the #1 rule - whoever drives, rules.

Or #2 rule - sure, you can sit in the car.

Last edited:

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honesty always works out best! I'm sure he would understand that it's your favorite hobby and you hate wasting a precious good weather hunting day with only a two-hour outing. How could he NOT understand that? Besides... you're helping him to learn. He should be extra-willing to make his schedule fit YOURS; not the other way around.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show him this post and let the cards fall where they may! All those with comments may help you educate him...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ideas thats funny sounds like almost all of us have dealt with this kinda thing LOL

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi .May be you should find another activity to share with your friend ,seems 2 hours the limit . How about bingo TP

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might not have to drive separate cars, but the next time yall are planning a hunt, just tell him that you are going to drive separately because you want to stay longer than he seems to like to. That way, he makes the choice...and gets the message.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, separate cars work. I can't go as hard as I used to so separate cars are now our go to scenario.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some peoples attention span is only good for short periods of time. Maybe that's his problem.
But being of suspicious mind, me wonders what he is doing the rest of the days when his wife is away, and she thinks he was out metal detecting with a good long time friend she trusts such as you!? :nono:

Hubbard

Oct 28, 2017
TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would put it back on him. Let him know that you have taught him all you can for now. As he gets more experience, on his own, you might be able to give him a few more pointers. Remember that a valuable lesson to learn is that you can't find what is in the ground if you are not looking.

Best of luck.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some peoples attention span is only good for short periods of time. Maybe that's his problem.
But being of suspicious mind, me wonders what he is doing the rest of the days when his wife is away, and she thinks he was out metal detecting with a good long time friend she trusts such as you!? :nono:

Maybe doing a little hunting of a different kind...:laughing7:

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a cousin that does the same thing. When we go he always has somewhere to be about an hour into the hunt. I'm just getting started good at that point in the hunt and it pisses me off.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just like going to the club/bar with your friends. Some want to party hard and close that club down and others nurse a drink or two and always have to get home to their wife/cat's/kids/bed/Netflix/ etc by 10....

Always drive separate so you can close the joint down if you're in the mood to party!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just tell him to be prepared to detect however long you care to, or drive his own car so he can leave after 2 hours.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just tell him to be prepared to detect however long you care to, or drive his own car so he can leave after 2 hours. My detecting partner and I usually agree on 4-5 hours of hunting when we take one vehicle.

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second the two car idea, we like to go out with a friend who has some health issues, and they're only good for a little while, but it is still nice to get them out and about. When they're done, they can head home, and we can detect away. Just a thought, good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread