DownNDirty
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jun 1, 2015
- Messages
- 2,183
- Reaction score
- 3,209
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- South Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Equinox 800
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I'm really diggin' those colonial relics
Yesterday I went back to the colonial plantation site that I have been detecting and sifting over the past month; my partner in crime was vmiairpwr07 (Jon). The plan was to detect the site and for me to get in some sifting time in the afternoon; we had high hopes of finding some nice colonial goodies and the site did not disappoint.
I made the 90 minute drive to the area & had a cup of coffee at Burger King with Jon. After trading some detecting stories we headed out and got the day going.
Jon started off right with a very nice find as his first dug target; I will let him post his finds later since I don't want to steal his thunder. We decided to split up and explore the site, which is very large. About twenty minutes later I hit a good, strong signal and dug a nice domed brass relic that I think is a bridle decoration; any input would be appreciated.
Ten minutes later Jon called me over with an excited voice and showed me the find of the day-you'll have to read his post for the details
.
Not far from where I found the horse tack I dug a small domed two-piece button; the top half is brass and the bottom is tombac. The site was abandoned during the Revolutionary War so this is definitely an 18th century button.
Next I worked around the foundation of the main house. I picked up a very shallow signal next to an inside wall and out popped a small but complete pewter buckle; it was just beneath the surface.
After a quick sub sandwich from my back pack I spent the rest of the day digging and sifting a trash pit. In addition to the usual pottery, black glass shards, clay pipe pieces and animal bones I sifted up a nearly complete table knife. Then out popped a four-hole porceline button.
At the end of the day Jon and I swung the coils over the dirt pile before filling in the holes I dug while sifting (thanks for the tip Outdooradv). This really paid off-I found a fully intact American-made pewter coat button that may have come from the uniform of a Continental soldier. Also Jon and I both found pieces of decorative shoe buckles from the dirt pile to end the day on a good note.
It was a fun and productive day with a new friend-and that's the way it should be. Til next time...
Yesterday I went back to the colonial plantation site that I have been detecting and sifting over the past month; my partner in crime was vmiairpwr07 (Jon). The plan was to detect the site and for me to get in some sifting time in the afternoon; we had high hopes of finding some nice colonial goodies and the site did not disappoint.
I made the 90 minute drive to the area & had a cup of coffee at Burger King with Jon. After trading some detecting stories we headed out and got the day going.
Jon started off right with a very nice find as his first dug target; I will let him post his finds later since I don't want to steal his thunder. We decided to split up and explore the site, which is very large. About twenty minutes later I hit a good, strong signal and dug a nice domed brass relic that I think is a bridle decoration; any input would be appreciated.
Ten minutes later Jon called me over with an excited voice and showed me the find of the day-you'll have to read his post for the details
.Not far from where I found the horse tack I dug a small domed two-piece button; the top half is brass and the bottom is tombac. The site was abandoned during the Revolutionary War so this is definitely an 18th century button.
Next I worked around the foundation of the main house. I picked up a very shallow signal next to an inside wall and out popped a small but complete pewter buckle; it was just beneath the surface.
After a quick sub sandwich from my back pack I spent the rest of the day digging and sifting a trash pit. In addition to the usual pottery, black glass shards, clay pipe pieces and animal bones I sifted up a nearly complete table knife. Then out popped a four-hole porceline button.
At the end of the day Jon and I swung the coils over the dirt pile before filling in the holes I dug while sifting (thanks for the tip Outdooradv). This really paid off-I found a fully intact American-made pewter coat button that may have come from the uniform of a Continental soldier. Also Jon and I both found pieces of decorative shoe buckles from the dirt pile to end the day on a good note.
It was a fun and productive day with a new friend-and that's the way it should be. Til next time...
Upvote
18
Your pictures do not do that large coat pewter justice- definitely my favorite find of the day and in great condition for an inland recovery. Given its 1 piece cast pewter shank vs the British iron loop shank, I do believe it is an American manufacture. I'll try and connect the relics to the story of that place without giving to much away. Congrats on the digs and best of luck in the AM.






