Re: I'm sure we've ALL had days like this before...
YES!
And 4 occasions come to mind, just a little different because they were finds that almost weren't.
My friend the Cladman and I were walking around a field and getting nothing, and after 15-20 minutes, every time we looked at each other no one would make the call to leave. By the time the half hour mark hit I had decided to walk along the creek and found a 1777 8 reale.
Then there was in 2001 when I had tried twice to find a site I had seen on an early map, but failed. My gut told me to go back and the third time was the charm and that day I found my best CT copper and military button.
Another was a hunt where there was no plan to hunt, but I received a call at the last minute from some guests I had, and they were game for one last short dig. I found a very good button.
And then there's Romeo and his belt plate. We weren't getting too much and I was very close to saying lets get the hell out of here, but for some reason I didn't, and 5 minutes later he found his 1812 Artillery plate.
Now having posted those examples of finds that almost didn't happen, and I'd have a whole lot more to write if I thought about it, what we have missed is probably indeed a very scary thing.
was when Romeo was here and found his belt plate.