Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the codes on the saguaros
or unusual items that are out of place out there?
Are all the giant saguaros gone now?
I remember being told the 4 GS in a row are gone now?

Carrol
Examples have been described here on TNet. But not as a thread in itself. Good idea if anyone has pictures to share.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Examples have been described here on TNet. But not as a thread in itself. Good idea if anyone has pictures to share.

Hal, Carrol, Ever heard of Crazy Cactus? Or, fanned top "Flared" Cactus?
I have some photo's in my archives I can dig up later. They put these types of cactus on or near mining area's that I've been too.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's THEY? :icon_scratch:

"They" were the Hacienda Spanish land owners or Jesuit Surveyor's for royal mining area's. Basically these can be an eye catcher or have value as a pointer to other Cacti.

I have a map of a pictograph that has a hooked "X" symbol. I looked for that symbol for months and never found it. One day I was hiking the mountain and found a lone Cardone cactus. It was the only cactus on that mountain so I noticed it.

As I approached the lone cactus I looked around and saw four small barrel cactus in four cardinal directions. While taking bearings on the smaller barrel cactus I noticed each direction had a pointer off the center cactus. The pointer was a crossed line on the ribs of the cactus making the letter "Y"!

Together from above looking down it made an "X" with the center being the Cardone lone cactus and the barrel cactus being the ends of the "X".

The hooked "X" said the cactus that went east and to the right was the one to follow. I removed my optical device. (Binoculars)
When I looked off in the distance I saw a "Crazy" Cactus!

No other cactus was anywhere else these were the only ones!

I jumped in my 4x4 ford and headed over there. When I got there I found a small canyon that had a profile rock chair. This was a minor resting area set up by the Spanish miners. Up above were the mines hidden pretty well.

Cactus were Survey markers in mining rest area's.

View attachment 1154703 View attachment 1154704 View attachment 1154707

View attachment 1154722

The "Y" symbol on maps or pictograph's are the symbols for cactus.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Great photographs Bill!
Y is the symbol for cactus? How did you come to the conclusion?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"They" were the Hacienda Spanish land owners or Jesuit Surveyor's for royal mining area's. Basically these can be an eye catcher or have value as a pointer to other Cacti.

I have a map of a pictograph that has a hooked "X" symbol. I looked for that symbol for months and never found it. One day I was hiking the mountain and found a lone Cardone cactus. It was the only cactus on that mountain so I noticed it.

As I approached the lone cactus I looked around and saw four small barrel cactus in four cardinal directions. While taking bearings on the smaller barrel cactus I noticed each direction had a pointer off the center cactus. The pointer was a crossed line on the ribs of the cactus making the letter "Y"!

Together from above looking down it made an "X" with the center being the Cardone lone cactus and the barrel cactus being the ends of the "X".

The hooked "X" said the cactus that went east and to the right was the one to follow. I removed my optical device. (Binoculars)
When I looked off in the distance I saw a "Crazy" Cactus!

No other cactus was anywhere else these were the only ones!

I jumped in my 4x4 ford and headed over there. When I got there I found a small canyon that had a profile rock chair. This was a minor resting area set up by the Spanish miners. Up above were the mines hidden pretty well.

Cactus were Survey markers in mining rest area's.

View attachment 1154703 View attachment 1154704 View attachment 1154707

View attachment 1154722

The "Y" symbol on maps or pictograph's are the symbols for cactus.

Mr Hal, Good to see your up and about.

From the Map my friend and from the mutated or grafted cactus spines or ribs that intersect in a "Y" formation. And also from the
fact many books claim the cactus symbol is a "Y" on Maps and drawings. The Map above Is one I made from the photo of a Petroglyph found in 1948 by a young boy and his Father.
They mined it for a while because back then you blasted a twenty foot shaft into the ground and grabbed an ore sample then went to file a claim at the BLM. Once they got the mining claims stage of the process they were promptly kicked off the site.

It was Experimental Range. In other words it belonged to the Military and was used for gunners and bombing practice ouch!
Years later my friend went to work for the CIA then he retired a few years before we met.

We talked about it for a long time and he trusted me to go there and have a look see.

I went there and it was pristine no graffiti no bullet holes just the remnants of the shaft they dug. He said after they got down about 12 feet they ran into a completed shaft that still had black powder stains and drill holes in it!

The Government made them fill it back in with rubble so it's no longer there.

Bad thing is years later it became BLM land again so it was open for claims then resorted back into state land now it belongs to I think the Dept of Agriculture.

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy Cactus.

SUPERSTITION%20MOUNTAINS%20001.jpg

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrol, some-ware in my treasure files I have a photo of a Saguarro cacti with a axe head that was implanted on the top. There were actually quite a few of this cacti that had axe heads on their crowns. It is of my opinon based on my research that the Peraltas did this for directional use. Much like a road sign today will have a snake arrow letting the driver know their is curves ahead. I believe that treasure hunters have removed these stones.The photo I have dates to the 1930"s ,just a guess.Their very well may be carvings or other marking in S.cacti that have been overgrown on by age...

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the first i've heard of axe heads on saguaros!!
I have lots of photos of saguaros with the codes.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Banded Cactus near an old Spanish Gold mine area.
I have a photo of a Dagger carved in the side of a saguaro just like in the stone maps trail edition. I can't seem to find it but it came from nearby this area.

Of course the rock foundation of an old Spanish mining Vista nearby just above those Cacti.

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ive been told the jesuits slashed and cleaned off the bottom of saguro to mark cache/hide spots. The cuttings start at the bottom and work there way up to two feet high and go along the trail to the cache spot. Once at two feet your around a old hid spot. Most have been found again.

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about topping? You know... cutting the top off or cutting of the tops off all the arms of a saguaro. Does cutting only the top or all the arms or both signify anything?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Chuck Kenworthy it does.

He said lopping off the tops and banding was a common Mexican not Spanish practice. They would use it as an "Eye Catcher" for a buried stone map near by or as a triangle marker with the point being a rock pile.

What about topping? You know... cutting the top off or cutting of the tops off all the arms of a saguaro. Does cutting only the top or all the arms or both signify anything?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one from Sunday. They cut the arms off both sides so it make and All Seeing Cactus "Eye". Notice how you can see light sky through it this gives it more importance as a marker worth following. It looks like a bird cage inside of an eye.

View attachment 1171001 View attachment 1171000

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An axe in a Saguaro I can see as being a way to mark something, as would be craving clues into them, cutting the tops maybe. But grafting I don't think so Saguaro grow so slow grafting would seem like a waste of time to see any results.. unless your planning on coming back in another life.

As an example from seed research shows Saguaro grow one inch in 10 years, one foot in 31 years, three feet in 50 years etc. And they never grow from cuttings only seeds.

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I think I have a photo of a gun sight cactus that was grafted. It points to the Blue Jay Gold Mine up the Santa Rita mountains. You can see where it was grafted. Don't ask me how it was done but apparently someone did it.

I'll see if I can find it.

This first view you can see a tunnel symbol cut into the cactus at the bend spot with a pointer that has a squared hole.

The second view you can see the "Y" that had one arm grafted to the other and a small arm sticking up as a sight for the "Y".

The third shot shows the barrel pointer with gunsight on top. This pints to an old Mexican Gold Mine up in the range I followed it up there and found it not even knowing it was there.

The bending of the arm was done by cutting out a section of the arm and letting it fall over.
View attachment 1171158 View attachment 1171159 View attachment 1171160

An axe in a Saguaro I can see as being a way to mark something, as would be craving clues into them, cutting the tops maybe. But grafting I don't think so Saguaro grow so slow grafting would seem like a waste of time to see any results.. unless your planning on coming back in another life.

As an example from seed research shows Saguaro grow one inch in 10 years, one foot in 31 years, three feet in 50 years etc. And they never grow from cuttings only seeds.

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put together a website of my father bio along with some of the photos I have.
I've had requests. Sorry it took so long!
At the bottom of the page is a button to page 2 showing some codes etc.
Link:
Bio Carrol

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

Absolutely correct about topped Saguaros being used for two corners of a triangle. The North corner was usually a stone monument. Topped Saguaros were also used as trail markers. You get to one topped Saguaro, then start looking around for the next one. They were usually all on the same side of the trail.

LVBob,

Even today, Mexican Miners/Prospectors who know their old ways use Barrel Cacti as direction markers. If you go to the back side of Rich Hill (where nobody looks for gold), you will see in several places lines of Barrel Cacti. When they start to get old and are dying, they plant young Barrel Cacti right next to the dying ones. Nobody has ever (that I know of) caught them at it, but somebody is marking the direction to something there where nobody else is looking. If you ever go to Stanton/Rich Hill, ask around some of the old timers.

HINT: Also ask them about the light flashes at dusk. Very interesting. Here is a thread I started about it a while back:

LIGHT FLASHES

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread