I'm thinking of buying a bottle tumbler - just looking - advice delightfuly accepted

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You know my friend, I shoulda thought of that myself!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some of the materials from The Jar Doctor. It is a kind of expensive thing to do. A regular tumbler won't cut it. The Harbor Freight tumbler won't do it. The copper is very heavy and will burn the motors out quickly. And the copper they use can be toxic so you have to be careful handing it. I gave up quickly.

Last edited:

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know if this helps but, I place some copper plated bbs in the bottom of my bottles. Sprinkle some barkeepers friend in. Add water and shake. I’ve taken out some scratches using this method. It really cleans the bottles up nice. I actually find the look of a tumbled bottle off setting. That’s just me though. I prefer just a clean classic look. Eventually your BBS will wear out. Just scrap them and grab some new ones. A 8$ jar of 6,000 count will probably last you years. This is my preferred method.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The Harbor Freight won't do it. And the copper they use can be toxic so you have to be careful handing it. I gave up quickly.

The Harbor Freight double drum is the tumbler I have. I've got to go get some BB's!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleans brass better than new I'm sure it will clean glass :) 002.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to make sure the bottle is secure in the tumbler or it will break.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started out using a 2 drum tumbler to do interior stained bottles using supplies from Jar Doctor and it worked great. I used a 4" diameter pvc tube with caps and cushioned the bottle inside. Pic. Because I could not do exterior tumbles with it I eventually bought a Jar Dr machine and have had no regrets. I had a ton of bottles to do and do some bottles for friends. Because of the steep investment in the machine, tubes and stoppers, and fine grit copper it is a decision you have to make as to will it be worth the investment and do you have the backlog of bottles to do. Also give your self about a year's experience tumbling your own bottles before deciding to do someone else's. I had help from a gent on the FB group Making Antique Bottles Great Again that saved me from a lot of rookie mistakes. For me it was an easy decision as I also tumble rocks and other stuff in rubber drums on it too. Note: I added the wooden frame and posts with rollers so I could add tubes on top, the machine does not come with that.

bottle2.jpg

tumbler.jpg

purple.jpg
purpledone.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started out using a 2 drum tumbler to do interior stained bottles using supplies from Jar Doctor and it worked great. I used a 4" diameter pvc tube with caps and cushioned the bottle inside. Pic. Because I could not do exterior tumbles with it I eventually bought a Jar Dr machine and have had no regrets. I had a ton of bottles to do and do some bottles for friends. Because of the steep investment in the machine, tubes and stoppers, and fine grit copper it is a decision you have to make as to will it be worth the investment and do you have the backlog of bottles to do. Also give your self about a year's experience tumbling your own bottles before deciding to do someone else's. I had help from a gent on the FB group Making Antique Bottles Great Again that saved me from a lot of rookie mistakes. For me it was an easy decision as I also tumble rocks and other stuff in rubber drums on it too. Note: I added the wooden frame and posts with rollers so I could add tubes on top, the machine does not come with that.

View attachment 1913107

View attachment 1913108

View attachment 1913109
View attachment 1913110
There's no arguing about that final result, well done on the beauty.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small bottles would only fit, or it larger than the pic/video?

The one in the video is a CV-750 (about 1/2 the capacity of mine in the pix. CV-2001) ...CV-2001 holds 1,300 357 cases at a clip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread