IM trying to decide on a Minelab/Etrac, or a GarrettATPRO? HELP!

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hello all, Chris again, I posted a thread a week ago asking for guidance and I got alot of good feedback. Great feedback actually and I gleaned alot of perspective from all of your opinions and veiwpoints. So where I am now, is that I have been doing as much reading and research as possible on different brands, reviews, and just whatever I can find online. I am pretty much to the point that I feel like if I buy anything different than the minelab Etrac, I will wished I had an etrac, (or at least wonder-what if?) Until I actually traded up and got the etrac. I am looking for any and all feedback on the etrac, when compared to other, say upper mid-level machines... (not sure exactly what upper mid-level is, I'll call it 400-800 price range.) But hopefully you guys get the point. What would some of you well versed MD'ists say if a begginner (never MD'd) asked you if he/she should buy the AT PRO or the Etrac? Bear in mind, that I 100% know for a fact that I will love detecting-and never quit, I will also guarantee that I will learn "my machine" as good or better than any other veteran/expert MD'ists out there ever have. Just how I am, i know I will love it, and I know I will master it and be the best based on what Im workin with.

Some of the biggest reasons for my thoughts on just getting started with the etrac is that I read many reviews from total Newbies like myself who profess it can be used "out of the box" successfully, and as you become more familiarized w/your machine, your finds get better and better as you are mastering the machine. Also, I read countless reviews from people touting the "depth" that the etrac gives, and how over and over again, they got targets, and dug coins that they and others had passed over a million times before. Basically, ease of use, depth, efficiency (best discrimination).-especially in Iron strewn fields... (that is what I read anyways.)-any thoughts?

Am I missing anything? Can someone out there save me some money by helping me to rationalize buying a different machine to start out with? I just want some guidance from some many experts here. Thanks you guys, I cant wait to get started. I have already started to compile a list of places I am gonna "clean out". 1 in particular that I am extremely excited about. I cant imagine it being virgin territory, but I would be absolutely surprise if has been "pounded" to death too...

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of your thoughts and insight.

Chris.

Future MD'ing success story waiting to happen! - A huge one.

Upvote 0

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I have and use both, the Etrac is without a doubt an excellent detector while the ATpro is a little rough. But for $500 the AT is an outstanding detector. I have had zero problems with either machine. Also the performance on the AT is without a doubt close to being equal to the Minelab. If you like the challenge of tuning a machine to be the best than get an Etrac and spend the time to discover it fully, if you are not willing to spend the time just buy an AT, turn it on and instant gratification.
I choose which machine based on where I am going and the weather, sometimes I take both and use one at one spot and then switch. I find both work equally well at my areas( high trash, not super deep mostly)

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wwace said:
I have and use both, the Etrac is without a doubt an excellent detector while the ATpro is a little rough. But for $500 the AT is an outstanding detector. I have had zero problems with either machine. Also the performance on the AT is without a doubt close to being equal to the Minelab. If you like the challenge of tuning a machine to be the best than get an Etrac and spend the time to discover it fully, if you are not willing to spend the time just buy an AT, turn it on and instant gratification.
I choose which machine based on where I am going and the weather, sometimes I take both and use one at one spot and then switch. I find both work equally well at my areas( high trash, not super deep mostly)

Agreed!

I 'never' said the ETRAC 'was not' a good machine. As a matter of fact, it's an 'Excellent Machine'. I was merely comparing the two as you did and pound for pound, the ATP is my choice simply because I want something that does 'it all', but still leaves me lot's of cash (options) for my next purchase. Since the Detectors are finally 'Evolving', I feel that 'looking ahead' is the only way go and a 3-4 year old ETRAC (as good as they are..) for $1600.00 Bucks, was definitely not in the cards. Fortunately for me 3D machines had already started evolving and I knew that it was likely very possible that my ATP was eventually going to be my 'Secondary / Water' machine once the 'Real-Time' 3D units were available. Well, that's NOW a reality with units such as NOKTA's 'Golden Gate 3D Plus' and 'Golden Gate Series' of Detectors. My feeling is that by the start of Next season, there will be more units to choose from in regards to other Manufacturers and that's when I'll finally pull the trigger. At the end of THIS season, I'll have made at 'minimum', $1500.00 OVER and ABOVE the cost of my ATP and with the $1000.00 that I've saved by NOT buying the ETRAC, I'm already $2500.00 closer to the 4k price tag of the NOKTA or whichever machine is the 'Best Bang for the Buck' at the time of my purchase. Many will say it's 'too expensive', but just Imagine going over one of your FAVORITE spots where you 'know' deeper things lie, but are 'out of reach' of any conventional detector (lets not forget about the 3D imaging and built in GPS)! The possibilities are 'endless' and I personally know of AT LEAST 3 locations within 30 minutes of my home that would produce some 'fantastic' Relics and 'Key Date' coins that are just 'too deep' or just 'out of reach' to find with today's detectors. If I can Pay Off my ATP 4 times in one season with Clad, PM's and Relics, I can only imagine how quickly the NOKTA would pay for itself in terms of 'relics, PM's and Caches' alone....

Regarding the Minelab, It's probably worth mentioning that 40% - 100% of my WEEKLY hunts this summer have been with another Detectorist who HAS the ETRAC, so I know how it works, how deep it goes and what it feels like to swing. We are CONSTANTLY comparing all aspects of BOTH detectors as we pass the coils over the same target before and after digging and it's AMAZING how SIMILAR these two machines are when it comes to depth, accuracy and identification (air-Tests / Surface Tests were a whole 'different matter'). Although we can 'literally' detect beside each other (these two machines PLAY WELL together!), there are STILL PLACES that I can go where he cannot follow and even when he can, it's normally at a MUCH lower sensitivity. This REALLY 'Irks' him and I can understand why! I walk under and around Power Lines, around most cell towers (some are impossible no matter what you do.. DON'T LIVE NEAR ONE!) and into and under the water. He just shakes his head in disbelief, when I 'drop it in' the water to dig with my scoop or leave it float, while I adjust, have a drink, whatever... Regardless, this is WHY I know these things about the ETRAC and SPECIFICALLY so when directly comparing it to the ATPRO as I hunt beside one every other day....

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Well I really appreciate all the great responses, I feel like I have learned alot. I can surely handle a little heated debate as some of you get your thoughts out. I am going to fit right in with this crowd, I can tell already that most of you are extremely passionate, and I think after reading this post, that I might just buy the etrac first, and then once that has paid for itself twice over, buy the AT Pro. After reading the responses, it kind of sounds like someone who is a freak metal detector could definately benefit by having both the Etrac, and the AT Pro in their hunting arsenal.

Thanks.

Chris.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheRockDoc said:
Well I really appreciate all the great responses, I feel like I have learned alot. I can surely handle a little heated debate as some of you get your thoughts out. I am going to fit right in with this crowd, I can tell already that most of you are extremely passionate, and I think after reading this post, that I might just buy the etrac first, and then once that has paid for itself twice over, buy the AT Pro. After reading the responses, it kind of sounds like someone who is a freak metal detector could definately benefit by having both the Etrac, and the AT Pro in their hunting arsenal.

Thanks.

Chris.

Good Luck either way...! :)

Cheers,

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Goes4ever said:
joeman said:
Goes4ever said:
I started with an ace 250, then went to the minelab xterra 70, I couldn't believe how much better it was, then I went to the etrac. And now I KNOW what good is. Yes the etrac can be used by a beginner right out of the box, it is THAT easy....I know people who have got etracs for their FIRST machine and took to it so simply they were amazed. The etrac is USER friendly, extremely easy to operate. Get the etrac and you won't have to sit and wonder if you got the best and you won't have to upgrade again in a yr when you get tired of the other machine. Check out my personal website that I made to help new etrac users out, tons of good info on there, including videos, pictures and stories. Good luck, and if there is anything you need to know, feel free to PM me for help.

AHAHAHAHAH... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to say that the ETRAC is a 'Turn on and Go' detector? Heh, heh... Man, Not even 'Cosmic' will buy that one! ;D
yes, and BELIEVE what you want....I'm not gonna argue with anyone, I PERSONALLY know newbies who bought it and found silver the first day.....I could care less if you believe me
I also know newbies that have found silver the first day. I usually give my clients a quick tutorial after the purchase, and after the setting I give, the machine can indeed be turned on and will start from where left off. Hence "Turn on and go" LOL

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one wants to hear that a 500 dollar detector is even close in performance to their 1500 hundred dollar machine. Let them tell you about Minelabs customer service and repair return time. All machines and companys have their pros and cons....even Minelab. You have to buy a book to tell you how to set up an E Trac....child pleazzz.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody can intelligibly argue anyone's preference in tectors. Too many variables. I, personally, would rather have ten Etracs than just one ATPro.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Nobody can intelligibly argue anyone's preference in tectors. Too many variables. I, personally, would rather have ten Etracs than just one ATPro.
gleaner...... I know i am getting old ..... So explain to me what you mean..... Does that mean E-trac is better than the AT Pro....... Or do you mean that one AT Pro is better than 10 E-trac's ..... ????

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
No one wants to hear that a 500 dollar detector is even close in performance to their 1500 hundred dollar machine. Let them tell you about Minelabs customer service and repair return time. All machines and companys have their pros and cons....even Minelab. You have to buy a book to tell you how to set up an E Trac....child pleazzz.
no book needed, just go to my personal website and in one page it has all the settings you need to set it up in 5 minutes!

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Keppy said:
gleaner1 said:
gleaner...... I know i am getting old ..... So explain to me what you mean..... Does that mean E-trac is better than the AT Pro....... Or do you mean that one AT Pro is better than 10 E-trac's ..... ????

Im laughing because I didnt know what that meant either, I mean, if you are the Etrac fan, of course you would want 10 than just 1 AT pro, but even if you were the ATPro fan, 10 ETracs sounds like a much better deal than just 1 ATPro. I dont quite understand, Etrac or ATPro?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 E Trac costs the same as 3 AT Pros. :tongue3:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
TheRockDoc said:
Hello all, Chris again, I posted a thread a week ago asking for guidance and I got alot of good feedback. Great feedback actually and I gleaned alot of perspective from all of your opinions and veiwpoints. So where I am now, is that I have been doing as much reading and research as possible on different brands, reviews, and just whatever I can find online. I am pretty much to the point that I feel like if I buy anything different than the minelab Etrac, I will wished I had an etrac, (or at least wonder-what if?) Until I actually traded up and got the etrac. I am looking for any and all feedback on the etrac, when compared to other, say upper mid-level machines... (not sure exactly what upper mid-level is, I'll call it 400-800 price range.) But hopefully you guys get the point. What would some of you well versed MD'ists say if a begginner (never MD'd) asked you if he/she should buy the AT PRO or the Etrac? Bear in mind, that I 100% know for a fact that I will love detecting-and never quit, I will also guarantee that I will learn "my machine" as good or better than any other veteran/expert MD'ists out there ever have. Just how I am, i know I will love it, and I know I will master it and be the best based on what Im workin with.

Some of the biggest reasons for my thoughts on just getting started with the etrac is that I read many reviews from total Newbies like myself who profess it can be used "out of the box" successfully, and as you become more familiarized w/your machine, your finds get better and better as you are mastering the machine. Also, I read countless reviews from people touting the "depth" that the etrac gives, and how over and over again, they got targets, and dug coins that they and others had passed over a million times before. Basically, ease of use, depth, efficiency (best discrimination).-especially in Iron strewn fields... (that is what I read anyways.)-any thoughts?

Am I missing anything? Can someone out there save me some money by helping me to rationalize buying a different machine to start out with? I just want some guidance from some many experts here. Thanks you guys, I cant wait to get started. I have already started to compile a list of places I am gonna "clean out". 1 in particular that I am extremely excited about. I cant imagine it being virgin territory, but I would be absolutely surprise if has been "pounded" to death too...

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of your thoughts and insight.

Chris.

Future MD'ing success story waiting to happen! - A huge one.

TheRocDoc I know better than get into these crazy things but I am in over my head so I'll go further. Don't be afraid of the Etrac menus, it is an out of the box unit, it is very easy to understand and set up. You can set up the basics with ease. You can set it to a four tone mode similar to the atpro's three tone pro mode just as quickly. The Etrac has a back/forth last setting button to toggle from one scrim pattern to another, each pattern totally custom set up to your liking. If the wallet is not holding you back, and you arent surfing with it, get the Etrac. If you want a good simple machine with a couple bells and maybe a whistle, and want to save 1000 bucks, get the ATPro.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookindown said:

BAHAAH! That's Funny right there! :laughing7: :laughing7:

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I will agree whole heartedly with smudge on this topic. It takes time, even for an experienced detectorist, to learn how to properly use a new detector. My Dad, hikeinmts, has been detecting since I was knee high to a grasshopper(probably 40+ years now). He recently(maybe 2 years ago) bought a minelab soveriegn because his cobra wasn't working as well as it used to. He'd been using that cobra for at least 15 years(correct me if I'm wrong, Dad), and had only occassionally used the minelab after he bought it. So, he really didn't know that much about how his "new" detector worked. About 6-8 months ago his cobra got to the point that he just couldn't keep it fixed, so he finally switched completely over to the sovereign. Being an avid detectorist he has begun to become familiar with it, and is amazed at the depth and sensitivity the machine has.
My point is, don't make your purchase dependant upon how "easy" others say it will be to work with the machine. You will have to spend time learning how your machine works. You will NOT pick it up overnight. You WILL get discouraged. Just don't give up, and I am confident that you will find your new hobby enjoyable. :icon_thumleft:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:

Even with their HORRIBLE customer service and repair return times, people STILL buy E-tracs at $1500. It's that good.

You want to know what machines I buy for backups? Yup, more Minelabs. I buy the exact same machine for my backup since I don't want to lose a minute of detecting time with an inferior machine.

You get what you pay for, and with the Explorer/E-trac line, you get the best silver finding machines money can buy. Period. And it's not even close.

Outside of other Explorer users, I find 5 times the silver of every other person I hunt with, regardless of machine.

I see too many posts about people being on their 2nd or 3rd AT Pro because of leaking. And then you have the other problem with it... It's a Garrett... It would be a fantastic machine if this was 1996, though.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
lookindown said:

Even with their HORRIBLE customer service and repair return times, people STILL buy E-tracs at $1500. It's that good.

You want to know what machines I buy for backups? Yup, more Minelabs. I buy the exact same machine for my backup since I don't want to lose a minute of detecting time with an inferior machine.

You get what you pay for, and with the Explorer/E-trac line, you get the best silver finding machines money can buy. Period. And it's not even close.

Outside of other Explorer users, I find 5 times the silver of every other person I hunt with, regardless of machine.

I see too many posts about people being on their 2nd or 3rd AT Pro because of leaking. And then you have the other problem with it... It's a Garrett... It would be a fantastic machine if this was 1996, though.

Agreed! :icon_thumleft:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
bazinga said:
lookindown said:

Bazinga I want to explore why the Etrac is so much better than the ATPro to help sway 'Roc's decision. Everybody can see thru the typical isolated horror story about this machine did that or this company cant do this. You see. I can tell you that the atpro in not notorious as a leaker. I would rather have fifty atpros than one Etrac. Now that is the breaking point. If you offered me 49 atpros or one Etrac, I would take the Etrac.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread