Imperial Russian Copper (Clipped), Pre-Civil War US Naval Officer button, Strong Gilt Button, Cuff Button

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised to see the double-headed Russian Eagle! A first for me and I would appreciate any info as they didn't put a date on it.

I define myself myself as a colonial hunter. Having recently found 1775 Dutch silver, a 1700s Chinese cash coin, a British 1794 token, and now a 1700's Russian coin makes me feel successful and energized to keep swinging. Plus I have a nice collection of non-coin artifacts. My collection of early US Navy buttons grows. A sure sign our whalers and fishermen transitioned into the Navy nicely.

It's remarkable how well connected the colonial world was. And how finds in the field back up what was written at the time: there was a severe shortage of small change and foreign currencies were widely circulated well into the 1800's.

Don't know what I'm missing not having a Manticore, but the new Nox 900 is a solid great performer. I think a big step above the 800.

Attachments

• tres434.jpg
    tres434.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 51
  • tres435.jpg
    tres435.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 28
  • tres436.jpg
    tres436.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 26
  • tres437.jpg
    tres437.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 15
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. The Russian coin appears to be a 2 Kopek in the design used between 1810-1830. It could be Alexander I up until 1825 or Nicholas I after that, until 1830.
That range matches the Navy button which was found at the same depth about ten yards away. It appears a lot of copper was ground off of the sides of the coin. It seems as though they wanted the double headed eagle as a kind of motif, a balanced emblem.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised to see the double-headed Russian Eagle! A first for me and I would appreciate any info as they didn't put a date on it.

I define myself myself as a colonial hunter. Having recently found 1775 Dutch silver, a 1700s Chinese cash coin, a British 1794 token, and now a 1700's Russian coin makes me feel successful and energized to keep swinging. Plus I have a nice collection of non-coin artifacts. My collection of early US Navy buttons grows. A sure sign our whalers and fishermen transitioned into the Navy nicely.

It's remarkable how well connected the colonial world was. And how finds in the field back up what was written at the time: there was a severe shortage of small change and foreign currencies were widely circulated well into the 1800's.

Don't know what I'm missing not having a Manticore, but the new Nox 900 is a solid great performer. I think a big step above the 800.
Very Cool!!! Like that Navy Button!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread