relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a shovel like the one pictured except its Black and Decker.It is about 30 or 32 inches in length. mine cost under $10 and it is great, but the large blade is best for fields and not so good in woods, and the wide blade makes larger plugs than needed often. I was trying to curl the blade edges in a vise but it cracked about 2 inches in. So I bent it back and forth till it snapped off. I them realised it was the improvement I really wanted. The one side has 2 inches removed and the other side is unchanged, so the blade is now like 4 1/2 inches wide and more pointed, and is mor effective for most metal detecting uses. It is not as strong as a lesche or predator shovel, but then again it only costs about $10, not $90. It's also really lightweight. I'm sure if you tighten either side of the blade at 2 inches it will crack when you bend it, then when you bend it back and forth it will crack off in a straight line. These shovels are available at amazon, or Lowes or Home Depot. Try it, you'll like it!

Attachments

• shovel.jpg
    shovel.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 148

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought that shovel last week, havent used it yet, but it looks awesum! I wonder if the crack in yours has weakened it too much.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi lisarez- I don't think it's ant weaker for this. It will never hold up as well as a Lesche groundshark or some other, but It is holding up OK so far in the hard, rocky soils of NW Jersey and NE PA. I also us it as leverage to get up from a digging position. I wanted to get a prefator ranger which has a triangular, serrated blade about 6 inches wide and 11 inches long
but its over $100 with shipping which is pricy for a shovel.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1504.JPG DSCN1505.JPG

Just take any spade type shovel and take a regular bench grinder to the edges for coarse serrations. This shovel will out cut all the fancy modern predator or whatever shovels in heavy root conditions. I have been making these shovel mods for over 30 years for breaking ground at campsites in the woods and they are fantastic in roots and weeds. Last for years, cost little. I am not one of those who goes for cheap over utile, I spend a lot on metal hunting gear, but I don't think I can beat this old shovel for efficient digging in tough conditions. Of course all shovels are for woods hunting only, I NEVER use them in parks or school yards or other property with lawns. We lose hunting spots every year because people go in with shovels to parks and school yards and make big holes. Please try to use smaller diggers in public and hone your pin pointing skills to where you only need a 3" diameter hole for a 6-7" or less deep coin.

Last edited:

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really neat! I like those grinder notches, might try some in my nice,new and still clean shovel. On a side note, was able to break-in my beach scoop today :) an learn a few things too.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Sampson and I wish to have a wider blade. I am in the process of modifying a Sampson Relic shovel by sharpening the tip and shortening a little bit. The Sampson is great, but in weak soil conditions the 4 1/2" wide blade makes it hard to keep a plug in one piece. A wider blade is needed. I hope this will work.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
instead of curling the edges in, I cut about an inch off each edge maybe 1.5" then put only two serrations on each side ride when it hits the widest and it cuts like butter. I have a thick, nice Sampson, but prefer my $10 shovel over it. I bought the Sampson first, its rugged and well built but My dirt is usually rock less. I also left an inch of material under the foot steps for added strength and welded a longer foot peg on the left side of the shovel. I use it quickly in tot lots set up like this on deeper items. If you would like a pic, PM me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread