In Memory - Boomer (This is Boomer's Son)

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Hello,

First off, if this is not the appropriate place for this my sincerest apologies and if a moderator could put it on the appropriate thread where Dad posted a lot then I would appreciate it. I would like to regrettably inform you that my Father, Edward Rowland, better known as Boomer on here, passed away peacefully on January 9. He had several health problems that dated back to October. Initially he had to have a bypass on his leg to restore blood flow to his foot but unexpectedly blockages were discovered around his heart and he had to have a triple bypass done as well. He had both procedures done but it was one thing after another developing with his health and after another procedure he developed pneumonia. The first time he got out of the hospital okay and was rehabilitating in a nursing home but then the second time he developed it, three weeks later, it sent him into septic shock. He still nearly came out of it even after an unfortunate amputation he had to have during that time. It was when he got out of ICU his oxygen worsened and he went with more of a comfort care focusing on quality of life rather than quantity, which even though we lost him it ended up quite comfortable for him. As tough as this spell was, it says a lot about his toughness that he was even able to survive as long as he did with everything going on the way it was.

I am Tyler, his son and this is my first time frequenting this site. In my short time here I see why Dad loved this place so much. Dad always talked about you and how much he enjoyed getting on here and talking about treasure hunting. He often would take me on treasure hunts with him when I was young and I am glad to have those memories. It seemed like every day he would talk about how he was scanning something in to show on here or even taking an occasional call to talk about history. I deeply appreciate you and what you did for him providing this great discussion opportunity because with him being retired, Mom and I were always trying to get him to stay busy and this was one way, a big way, he enjoyed keeping busy.

To tell you about Boomer and what he was like in real life, he fought in Vietnam and served in the military for a total of 9 years before serving at CSX for nearly 30 years. He re-committed his life to Christ the day before he passed away and was a member at Beech Street Christian Church for many years. He retired from CSX in 2006. Dad overcame big obstacles to get where he did, having to drop out of high school to support his family after his Dad passed away during that time. He had strong medical training through the military and in 1998 helped preserve the life of a Canadian couple who was traveling through West Virginia. When I was young he traveled out of town to work at the headquarters of CSX and on his way back encountered that couple whose van had flipped one and a half times. It flipped after the camper attached to the back of it flipped. In MacGyver-like fashion, he used a pen to blow glass out of the eyes of the husband, stalling his intensive bleeding and calming his wife before the paramedics arrived. The couple ended up surviving the accident after some treatment at the hospital.

Thank you to everyone on this site for the great discussion and opportunity you provided Dad during his retirement years. He enjoyed you and hated that during his time in this hospital he didn't have the energy to be able to access this site consistently. Given Dad's attachment to this site I felt it was appropriate for me to post this and let you know what happened. Thank you for everything and I wish you nothing but the very best.

https://www.steenfuneralhome.com/tributes/Edward-Rowland

Last edited:

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It sounds like you had a great Dad and I’m sorry for your loss.

I can only imagine what he is digging up in Heaven!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sorry for your loss and for your family.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deepest condolences, Tyler...to you and Boomer's entire family. He will be sorely missed. 😞

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the reply Tylier. May your dad rest in peace. Thanks for the posting. It is hard to lose forum members.

John

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sorry that he has passed away but, if he knew Jesus then he’s in a better place now.
For his military service - :icon_salut: Rest In Peace sir.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great dad you had and how lucky you all were to have him. He was a big part of this community and shall be missed.
His contributions to this site is what makes this site so special to so many.
We were honored to have his as a member.
Thank you for posting and may your family find peace.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.

May God bless Edward, you and the entire family during this tough time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tyler, 1st off, my sincere condolences, the way you describe Boomer is with love and fond memories. I bet he was proud to have a son like you. Thanks for taking the time to inform us of Boomers passing.

People live as long as they are remembered.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tyler.... sorry for your loss. Rest In Peace Boomer.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss, rest in knowing he looks over his loved ones.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tyler, for letting us know about your father. Your selfless consideration for others during a tough time kept us from wondering the usual "What ever happened to so-and-so?" He obviously did a fine job of raising you. Boomer sounds like a good 'ol daddy and you have my prayers that God will comfort you and your family in the coming months. So much comfort and peace is to be had in knowing that he's forever healthy and in the presence of our Lord.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for letting us know, Tyler. I am sorry to hear about your Dad's passing, but it looks like he passed his great qualities on to you. My condolences to the family, and may Boomer rest in peace.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tyler : With GREAT SADNESS i read your posting. WOW your dad is a very special person to have your love and devotion. We all on here liked your dad's postings. We appreciate his great service to our country. I am sure your dad serviced this country all his life not just in Vietnam ! I set here with tears in my eyes reading your post and thinking how sorry i am to never shake your dads hand.
Tyler if your ever near Canton Ohio I would love to shake your hand and maybe even take you treasure hunting!!!! Is there ANYTHING we can do maybe even a go fund me account please let us know !!!

with all my love and appreciation Gary Heckman

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tyler,

I didn't personally know your Dad, but after reading your story I sure feel like I did. He was a good man. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and all his friends. Thank you for letting us know of his passing. He'll be missed by all of us here.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blessings to you and your family and may your father rest peacefully.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tyler, myself as all the others here offer my sincere condolences to you and your family concerning your Dad's (Boomer's) passing. From all you said, what more great things could be said of one? A great Father, a Christian man, and a Veteran who honorably served his country. It sounds as has been said that he did a great job in raising his son. It is tough to lose your Dad, but memories will keep him near you. Thank God for memories that we have, good memories. Your Dad is in a much better place than the one he just left. Be assured you will see him again. Prayers for you and your entire family during this difficult time. :usflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread