🥇 BANNER INCREDIBLE DAY - 3 Colonial Silvers including a 1661 Hammered Hungarian!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Saturday Tom and I made plans to hit two of our well pounded but still productive colonial sites. The first site we hit was is a VERY early site for our area. Between the two of us, we have hit this place over 30 times. But we hadn’t been there since the last plowing. On the way I mentioned that despite finding dozens of coppers between us, the place had only given up 4 silver coins that we know of. Upon arriving at the site, I dug a small tombac right off the bat. A minute later I had another signal that was reading in the high 50’s on my F75. I was thinking another button, but was surprised to see a one real sized silver coin in the dirt (see first dirt shot below). After removing it from the dirt and pouring some water on it, we could see it was a paper thin silver coin with a date of 1661 the likes of which we had never seen before. I took a couple pictures with my phone and sent them off to Don in SJ for an ID. Don came through as usual with the ID – King Leopold of Hungary, 3 Krajczar! Wow, a Hammered Hungarian from the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century in Southwestern Pennsylvania! I feel certain that this coin was used as Indian Trade Silver based on the history of the site and the crude hole punched in it. I went on to find another nice colonial silver – a cut 2 reale with a full date of 1708! Besides the 2 colonial silvers, I only found one button and six musket balls at the first site.
On to the second site we went where Tom got on the board with 1784 one Real from the Potosi Bolivia mint (pictured below). Not to be out done, I responded with a worn 1778 half Real and two coppers. I also got three buttons at the second site.
All in all not a lot of quantity, but I will take quality over quantity any day. I found my oldest dated Spanish coin AND my oldest dated coin period in the same day. Truly a day to remember!!

Attachments

• A.4-12-14 ALL.JPG
    A.4-12-14 ALL.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 754
  • B.2 silvers with dates.JPG
    B.2 silvers with dates.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 705
  • C.2 Silvers 1.JPG
    C.2 Silvers 1.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 679
  • D.3 silvers 1.JPG
    D.3 silvers 1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 678
  • E.3 silvers 2.JPG
    E.3 silvers 2.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 633
  • K.Tom Real back 001.JPG
    K.Tom Real back 001.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 609
  • J.Tom Real front.JPG
    J.Tom Real front.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 634
  • I.Pottery.JPG
    I.Pottery.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 591
  • H.Side by Side.jpg
    H.Side by Side.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 611
  • G.2 silvers dirty1.JPG
    G.2 silvers dirty1.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 634
  • L.Dirt Shot 1661.jpg
    L.Dirt Shot 1661.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 542
  • M.Dirt Shot 1708.jpg
    M.Dirt Shot 1708.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 523
  • N.Dirt Shot half real.jpg
    N.Dirt Shot half real.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 525
  • O.Dirt Shot Copper.jpg
    O.Dirt Shot Copper.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 79

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds Steve, congrats on making the BANNER!!!
smiley-eatdrink004.gif

The detail on the King Leopold of Hungary 3 Krajczar Coin is incredible!

Love your collection of pottery shards, I too pick up all the pieces I find in the fields! :thumbsup:

Dave

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve - I finally found my early cut reale similar to yours, but the date was 1709 not 8. And the "1" is missing too. As soon as I saw yours it brought back memories of the exact time and spot where I dug mine. It's amazing how we can recall all those details, but can't remember to take out the trash.

1709 cut piece.JPG

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve - I finally found my early cut reale similar to yours, but the date was 1709 not 8. And the "1" is missing too. As soon as I saw yours it brought back memories of the exact time and spot where I dug mine. It's amazing how we can recall all those details, but can't remember to take out the trash.

View attachment 979416
Very similar Bill. Looks like yours was cut right along the "1". I am pretty happy with my piece. I have partial dates of '23, '54, and '58, and 17', but this is the only complete date I have on a cut piece, and I think it is pretty rare to find one with a complete date. The poor guy didn't get much attention on this post being overshadowed by the 1661 - LOL

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very similar Bill. Looks like yours was cut right along the "1". I am pretty happy with my piece. I have partial dates of '23, '54, and '58, and 17', but this is the only complete date I have on a cut piece, and I think it is pretty rare to find one with a complete date. The poor guy didn't get much attention on this post being overshadowed by the 1661 - LOL

I have a couple other cut pieces that have 3 digits, but never dug one with all 4. So that "poor guy" is pretty special too. When are you going back to that site?

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did I just see this post ! What a great day for you Steve ! Any hammered on this side if the pond is a metal detectorists dream ! A beautiful pelleted as well ! You work for it and you deserve it ' MaineRelic

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Congrats !

1661 is as early a date as one can expect .

Very nice finds and a hunt you will never forget ,

:icon_scratch:I was taken back at first until I figured out what kind of

"Hammered Hungarian"

:drunken_smilie: dawg

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congratulations on an outstanding hunt and mind-blowing silver! :hello2: :headbang: :hello2: 1661---I can't even imagine. Congrats on a well deserved Banner, too. :thumbsup:

HH

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice going, Steve! One of these days old halfdime is gonna get a banner find out of this area!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going, Steve! One of these days old halfdime is gonna get a banner find out of this area!

I think a Draped Bust halfdime would get you up there!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from vacation, congrats on your well deserved Banner. Hammered in America, what an exciting day for you. I would have liked to have been there when you realized what you dug, that had to of been a jaw dropper. Are you still sane???

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from vacation, congrats on your well deserved Banner. Hammered in America, what an exciting day for you. I would have liked to have been there when you realized what you dug, that had to of been a jaw dropper. Are you still sane???

Arty, It was kind of surreal digging that coin. First off, I noticed it was about the size of a one Real when I first saw it in the dirt, but the numbers on my machine were 20 points lower than what a one Real reads. When I plucked it out of the dirt, the first thing I saw was the date and it read 1991. I said that can't be right. When I flipped it around I saw it read 1661, and I still thought - that can't be right!!! It didn't take long to realize I had a hammered silver from 1661, but what kind? I sent some pictures to Don and he came back with an ID. My metal detecting focus was all screwed up for the next hour, but I gradually got it together to make some more good finds.

Last edited:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Steve, Any day you find 1600's/1700's pieces off the bat is a great one in my book! I'd keep expanding the search area until you get it all and let us see,please.HH.....

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt Steve, I heard Leopold was known as 'Hogmouth' and it shows why on that bust. always love the less than flattering images used on some old coins. Big Congrats to you, Herbie.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Steve, how did miss this ! Phenomenal hunt my friend. I will trade you about 200 square hole coins for those any day!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa,whoa wait a minute i go away for a couple weeks and Stevie boy is diggin 1600's silver and cut Colonial finds
cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif

I knew that old PA dirt was calling you out man..

Finding a silver that old is a rare find in these parts..

Sweet Banner day man..

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread