Incredible Lical History Lecture

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just attended a lecture put on by a local historical society. The speaker was a young lady who was archaeologist and also metal detected(shocker). She had several Native American artifact found locally on display. She also had a table set up with items from post contact period(colonial). One thing that was really cool was a Luckenbooth brooch which is basically a Scottish love token of sorts. There was also a beautiful gold gilted button that was traced back to the Royal Blackheath golf club in Scotland. Awesome stuff. She also had marbles that were used in Cod Neck bottles that acted as corks.
I also have found a great resource locally that I can donate some items to and also collaborate with on a few detecting adventures. Super fun and educational morning

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious why you posted it in Best Finds forum? Is it by mistake...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sorry bud. Yup General was the intent. Would you be so kind as to use your magic wand and move it? Thanks bud

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sorry bud. Yup General was the intent. Would you be so kind as to use your magic wand and move it? Thanks bud

No problem, I moved it..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks friend

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I found a beautiful luckenbooth brooch a few years back, I consider it one of my best finds

Many of us interested on history of our local areas would be surprised and enlightened by what archeologists from the area may have to offer; it's an aspect of research terribly overlooked

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.
I've yet to attend our Historical Society meetings, but they identified a bar token I dug.
I'll attend the next.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a beautiful luckenbooth brooch a few years back, I consider it one of my best finds

Many of us interested on history of our local areas would be surprised and enlightened by what archeologists from the area may have to offer; it's an aspect of research terribly overlooked

Yeah that's a killer find. They said there was a shop or shops at the docks that sold these to travelers. I think it's awesome. This is a button from the same site that was found. I didn't actually get a pic of that button but this is identical. I was fairly surprised that she was so accepting of a guy who metal detects and that she herself enjoyed the hobby. Feels like progress
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422129276.098314.jpg
Do you have a pic of the brooch IH? I'd love to see it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.
I've yet to attend our Historical Society meetings, but they identified a bar token I dug.
I'll attend the next.
GL
Peace [emoji111]

I would encourage you to do so. I have thoroughly enjoyed these lectures

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for Ahab

found in 2011 on a hunt with Iron Patch and Romeo1 on a site of Romeos

Are you kidding me? That is absolutely stunning my friend. Thank you for showing me. Wow that's beautiful

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Are you kidding me? That is absolutely stunning my friend. Thank you for showing me. Wow that's beautiful

When I first discovered it I thought that I had a piece of trade silver; the luckenbooth motif was used quite a bit as a design of the early trade silver pieces; but then soon realized it was a more modern piece,but just as nice
thanks for the comments

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first discovered it I thought that I had a piece of trade silver; the luckenbooth motif was used quite a bit as a design of the early trade silver pieces; but then soon realized it was a more modern piece,but just as nice
thanks for the comments

Was that from the field where I left my shovel?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions