Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I could say that I found this one. But it was recently discovered by a friend of my buddy Stan in the low tide muck near an early colonial site. It's just an awesome looking specimen. We've been trying to ID the seal but have not had any luck yet. I was hoping that some of you familiar with this sort of thing just might happen to recognize this particular crest or coat of arms. Please chime in if you can help. Thanks!

Attachments

• Stans friends seal.JPG
    Stans friends seal.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 17

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have justed emailed Kev, who has just joined this site to help another Tneter with Livery IDs. He should be able to help, fingers crossed.

If that was a members find it would be banner, all the way, these are extremely valueable in that condition!

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
Wow! I wonder what type of wine it was. And if it is sealed I wonder if it would still be good or just vinegar. Either way that is amazing!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched google and found other bottles with similiar configurations and they were identified as a Onion Wine Bottle. I can't tell on yours but the "crest" seems to be part of the bottle? The one's I found on the net were actually part of the bottle and were circa 1720 and

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't see something like that every day! What a rare and beautiful find!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bill,

There's a beauty. Could you prevail upon Stan's friend to send good photos of the entire bottle, with separate closeups of the lip, seal, and base. A bonus photo would be one with a strong light source behind the glass that might better show color. These are not my field, but I know a guy who is pretty good. The shape looks late 17th, or early 18th Century from here in the cheap seats.

1690onions-490x326.jpg

I am reminded that my eyesight is not improving any. The first thing I thought I saw was an ox behind a woven shield, or is that an abacus...

Thanks for showing us. I have been expecting to see similar examples from you and Stan, any day now...

Dr. Richard Kelso at Jamestown, The Corning Museum, and the British Museum might be good resources at which to enquire.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I wonder what type of wine it was. And if it is sealed I wonder if it would still be good or just vinegar. Either way that is amazing!

I am not referring to the bottle and its contents being sealed. I'm talking about the glass seal that has been affixed to the shoulder of the bottle. Some of the wealthy planters had their initials or family coat of arms stamped onto a glass seal that was attached to the outside of the bottle when they ordered the wine from England.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stan's friend did indeed find a great one. I hope Cru's friend can help on final ID...........

Don

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bill,

There's a beauty. Could you prevail upon Stan's friend to send good photos of the entire bottle, with separate closeups of the lip, seal, and base. A bonus photo would be one with a strong light source behind the glass that might better show color. These are not my field, but I know a guy who is pretty good. The shape looks late 17th, or early 18th Century from here in the cheap seats.

1690onions-490x326.jpg

I am reminded that my eyesight is not improving any. The first thing I thought I saw was an ox behind a woven shield, or is that an abacus...

Thanks for showing us. I have been expecting to see similar examples from you and Stan, any day now...

Dr. Richard Kelso at Jamestown, The Corning Museum, and the British Museum might be good resources at which to enquire.

I've already tried to get some additional pics of the bottle but this is all I've been able to get. Also, it's not showing in the pic, but the lip of the bottle has been sheared off. I've tried contacting the Museum of London as well as the College of Arms about helping to ID bottle seals previously. The museum never replied and the college wanted a large fee to perform the research. I hesitate to contact anyone in the archaeological community as I don't want them to cause any problems for Stan's friend. So guess I'll just have to rely on my own research or hope that someone here can help.

At first Stan and I thought this was the exact same seal that both of us had found earlier this year at another early site in the same region. But after closer inspection it was obvious it was a different coat of arms. Here's a pic of that one FYI. I appreciate your comments and assistance.

seal6.JPG

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
I am not referring to the bottle and its contents being sealed. I'm talking about the glass seal that has been affixed to the shoulder of the bottle. Some of the wealthy planters had their initials or family coat of arms stamped onto a glass seal that was attached to the outside of the bottle when they ordered the wine from England.

I see that is cool. I didn't know they did that. I love this site. Learn something new everyday.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! That is by far, the best bottle find I have ever seen, personally. Good luck with the ID

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bill,

I've been trying to find a website that contained many examples of English Onions, but so far, have not rediscovered it. Heraldry is not my strong suit, either.

Bottle-seal_BRE771.jpg

"The last object was audited by Tuesday volunteers Sunny & Sue during week 7. From High Street Brentford, this ‘Griffin’ Bottle Seal is a decorative piece of glass with the seal (or ‘prunt’) dating it as a post-medieval (1650-1850) wine bottle. Seals are fairly common – the pad of glass was imprinted with a device when hot, and reveals the owner of a tavern through initials or tavern sign. This one has been interpreted as a griffin – perhaps the Griffin pub was a ‘local’ in Brentford, or maybe the wine came from further afield. Unfortunately no encyclopaedic catalogue exits for London bottle seals, so no comparative example has been discovered." Inside the Museum of London » Adam Corsini

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is an amazing recovery. I hope to see this get ID'd!!!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hesitate to contact anyone in the archaeological community as I don't want them to cause any problems for Stan's friend. So guess I'll just have to rely on my own research or hope that someone here can help.

View attachment 781171

Yah that kinda sucks right there most archaeologist depts. won't respond back too you unless you are another archaeologist! Im sure the large fee was there way of telling you too go away! Pretty amazing find there! I just dont know about this bottle seal if it could date too colonial or alittle post colonial! Hope it can get IDed

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill that's an incredibly stunning find, I have a feeling in my bones that I will have mine this year. I just hope it is in as good of shape and comes with a seal when I bring it up. I will see if I can find anything on the seal when I have a little more time.
ZDD

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial glass rules!!! Its all in the seal...The date , the maker and where it was made =ED

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread