Indian artifact????? Helppppp

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this for a friend of mine...It was found in NY and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what it might be...All I could tell him was that it was a rock..lol Help ..........
Story: A co-worker of mine found this rock while fishing. You will
notice that it has what appears to be eyes on each side. On the Right
side,the eye socket is larger and narrows as it reaches the other
side. Also, surround the eye socket is a deeply groved line that also
helps form the mouth.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 527

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
CodyCat Borat said:
OK, I'll take the first guess.
I think it's the fossilized remains of a baby sunfish...

http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2007/02/giant-ocean-sunfish.html

http://www.earthwindow.com/mola.html

Borat!! LMAO - I think your dead wrong... but i've been looking at those pictures in the links and really see the resemblance... very cool looking fish! (Ocean Sunfish) I would be scared to death to see one of those things while swimming!
Thats why I stay out of the ocean...mmmm...and Jaws..lol Thanks for the replies guys..

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Got to love Borat LOL and his explanation. ;D ;D ;D ;D

But mine may be equally outrageous as I simply am not a native American artifact expert.

At first glance I thought this was natural. But it is a river worn cobble composed of a very hard rock. It kind of reminded me of a shaft straightener I have in my collection. It is rounded around the edges with a hole in the center. If you stroll down in the link below you will see one example.

http://www.westernartifacts.com/museum.htm#WeirdTools

Of course the different size diameters for the hole suggest it is not a straightener but the possibility exist that it is an unfinished tool. Material was cut around the edges to produce a smaller tool that could be carried but not finished.

Well there is my outrageous explanation which is probably incorrect.

George

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Primitive "socket" or "palm" rock for fire starting?

b_fire-kit-and-tools.jpg

More likely, carved fishing or net weight as stated...

solwt1b.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi Everyone:

My friend SC_Hunter has been someone I am pleased to call a Friend. I just cannot seem to download pictures to this site, have no idea why I cant though.

I personally do not believe this rock is naturally made, though it might have started out that way. The side that you see is what I call the (Left Side), which is the largest eye socket. Yet, on the other side is almost an identical design.

I have suggested to my friend that he send it off to a Museum in Albany who has shown some interest in it. They would like to inspect it to see if it is American Indian in origin.

My next step will be to get permission to go to the location where this was found and see what I can find.

Hope to post more items in the near future.

Sincerely,
Jeff

Upvote 0

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
This is what I get for checking on the website on lunchbreak.

Someone just walked past my monitor and went..."What the hell is that? Looks like a one eyed flying grey people eater."

So of course now they're singing..."One eyed, one eared, flying purple people eater." And I just know the damn tune will be stuck in my head all day. So I thought I'd pass on the misery to anyone who reads this and knows that tune. ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread