Indian Artifact? I dunno... (NEW PICTURE at the bottom)

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Rock (1).jpg
    Rock (1).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 5,573
  • Rock (2).jpg
    Rock (2).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Rock (3).jpg
    Rock (3).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Rock (4).jpg
    Rock (4).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 890
  • Rock (5).jpg
    Rock (5).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,138
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Indian Artifact? I dunno...

I am resizing... hang on a minute...

there that is better...

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

with the hole in it,, makes me think it could have been a fire starting rock ... you know rubbing a stick into dry tender real fast

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eclipsegt3 said:
with the hole in it,, makes me think it could have been a fire starting rock ... you know rubbing a stick into dry tender real fast

yeah I was thinking that too but I am not much into the Indian artifact thing... but this is how it all starts... find that first coin/relic/bottle/Indian artifact...

Chukers

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chukers said:
eclipsegt3 said:

yeah I was thinking that too but I am not much into the Indian artifact thing... but this is how it all starts... find that first coin/relic/bottle/Indian artifact...

Chukers

Or maybe a unfinished Banner Stone, Like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannerstone
Unfinished_Bannerstone_1.jpg

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eclipsegt3 said:
chukers said:
eclipsegt3 said:

Chukers

oooh it could be that too... but its going to need a lot of work to get it there!

Chukers

Or maybe a unfinished Banner Stone, Like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannerstone
Unfinished_Bannerstone_1.jpg

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

It's called a cup or nut stone. They're artifacts. I don't know what it's worth.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nutting stone, used for cracking nuts......

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chuckers,
Seems this type of thing has been on the Tnet site before, and the jury is still out on the origin. Here is the link to another similar post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=282375.0
I did some digging on the web for banner stones, which were used as atlatl counter weights. The atlatl was a arrow throwing device which was widely used by the Indians. Here is the link for this data:
http://66.195.173.140/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1026
there is also another nice site which details "potholes" which are cored-out holes in rocks made by water and spiralling rocks:
http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/pothole.html

My thoughts are this (assuming the size is roughly the size of two closed fists or so): It seems pretty darn portable- so to speak, but heavy enough and flat enough to hold a fire starter bow and stick. It seems too heavy for a atlatl weight, unless it was unfinished- but then why would they core it first before trimming it to size? could be a pothole, but the pics I saw looked more smoothed. To me it sure looks like it had a purpose and was created by man. seems not random enough for natural work- but stranger things have happened. You may never know for sure, but if the river you found it in is not known for potholes and well known for NA hunting/settlements- then I would err to the funner possibility. Saw one on ebay for 16$ save your time and enjoy your conversation piece. Nice find!

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

I am gonna go the other way......I say Geofact....There are so many different things in the stone here that leave roundish indentations.Fossils(urchins etc..)Minerals..like Marcacite ..They come out in round nodules,and other softer stones....That being said.I still would have brought it home...

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

Is that rust in that last pic?If so def. a geofact.... I could post some nods. that I have found if ya like for comparison.

M

mickey

looks like a geofact to me. wrong material for a nutting stone. if it were a nutting stone, there would probably be a similar indentation on the reverse. good hunting. brian

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neogeo said:
Is that rust in that last pic?If so def. a geofact.... I could post some nods. that I have found if ya like for comparison.

The stone is wrong for a Nutting stone. This stone is Shale and the type of stone you find fossils in. That was probably a fossil that fell out or a stone.................................GTP

latrans

Apr 9, 2009

Geofact. The triangular shape is a natural fracture pattern for the rock and the indentation is from the erosion of a smaller softer inclusion or as another poster said erosion from water and harder material in an eddy. I've found a ton of rocks just like that one.

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA

Geo...I would possibly consider otherwise if it was found in a field, but that close to the water, it was erosion.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a picture for size reference.... if that helps any...

Chukers

Attachments

• Rock 6.JPG
    Rock 6.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 650

Jessmc

Jul 30, 2017
SD and GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artifact for sure. Nutting stone, cupstones. Prices range but I haven't seen a private sale for a nutting stone for more than $100. If I had to guess you may get $20. Cool thing about these is that they are found in groups. Sometimes hundreds.
The actual use of these are in question. Grinder, nut opener/crusher, spear holdersfire starter, etc. There have been texts done to see how long they take to make.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread