Indian Artifact or Weird Rock?

sarash

Mar 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!
While playing with my daughter in the backyard the other day I came across a large, rather weird-looking rock that on closer inspection almost appears to have been made into some sort of weapon or tool. The edge is very sharp, it fits perfectly into my palm, and there are even grooves and what seems to be erosion into the quartz where fingers and thumbs may have laid. It also lies flat on the back side as if I were going to hammer into where it might have been shaped, if that makes sense. I've always been fascinated by archaeology, though I've never actively searched around for artifacts or anything, so I'm afraid I don't know much about them. I guess these are the questions I'd love some answers to:
a) Is this an artifact or just a weird rock?
b) How old might this be?
c) What was its intended use?
Has anyone seen anything like this before? (I contacted a nearby archaeology office, but haven't heard anything back). For the record, I live in central NC.
Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Sarah

IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1600.JPG

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird rock, IMO. I don't see anything to suggest otherwise. Welcome to the Party. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, just a rock......Welcome to TreasureNet...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sarash

Mar 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your fast responses!! An artifact would undeniably be cool, but perhaps equally cool is the series of coincidences throughout this stone's evolution that gave it such an intriguing shape. I appreciate your time, and thanks for the warm welcomes! What a friendly forum :)

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in a good spot for Indian artifacts. It's just a matter of time. Good Providence.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread