What's new

Indian Petroglyph possibly ?

kentucky Quinn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
467
Reaction score
944
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern KY
This is in back of one of the big caves on family land. Looks old to me thanks for looking

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583166968.349438.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583166979.819347.webp

It’s probably 12 inches tall by 9 inches wide maybe. I need to take a good light up in there and investigate
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Oh yea exactly. I love this stuff. Don’t know a lot for sure but it’s great to speculate and try to figure out with other people who are interested by same stuff. Thanks for all the feedback so far
 
What a beautiful spot. Nothing like that here on the prairie. Gary
 
That’s an awesome spot looks like a painting ... if it’s close enough for kids to walk to it I could see it being a cool hang out and maybe somebody was carving there initials into the rocks. However if that’s on property that you have permission to dig and sift I would absolutely spend a lot of time there digging near the overhangs there’s some really great videos on YouTube of people doing that and finding killer artifacts and some of them are down really deep.
 
My eyes must be going as as the marks seem to stick out not inscribed.

EDIT: With that being said I say it is naturally occurring and not man made.
 
Last edited:
Your eyes are actually correct. The marking is raised like a concretion formed over the inscription as opposed to carved into wall
 
Wow, good eyes. That is strange.
 
I’m so jealous, those are the types of places I salivate over here near me. My uncle has bluffs like that on the back side of his property we’ve dug for years, found lots of tools, points, beads, animal bones, piece to a pipe, and pottery. Got some by moms house, but the university dug it out. They didn’t go out past the drip line so I may go up there, and dig around once my back, and balance gets better.
 
That’s an awesome spot looks like a painting ... if it’s close enough for kids to walk to it I could see it being a cool hang out and maybe somebody was carving there initials into the rocks. However if that’s on property that you have permission to dig and sift I would absolutely spend a lot of time there digging near the overhangs there’s some really great videos on YouTube of people doing that and finding killer artifacts and some of them are down really deep.

You’re right about YouTube. Those are my favorite ones on there, when they dig out cave, and bluff shelters
 
Since finding the broken point above, we have been raking out and washing top layer of overhang area. Finding lots of big chert pieces including the ones that made the point Only sifted a few more buckets worth. Need to improve my system. It’s pretty good walk to creek to wash sifted rocks. Can’t tell what anything is without washing there is so much erosion dust all over ground of this spot. I’ll show couple pics of area and will add of course when/if we find more points or artifacts. Thanks for all the feedback!ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337085.110116.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337136.173849.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337149.606721.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337166.525185.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337181.607526.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337198.476695.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337223.511704.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337243.496209.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337272.547918.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337290.517640.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337304.077853.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337324.002905.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583337345.419653.webp

Ok that’s probably enough for now. I’ll keep ya’ll posted. Having a blast doing this Can’t believe I didn’t start doing this out here after buying the property 13 years ago. Better late than never!!
 
That’s an awesome spot looks like a painting ... if it’s close enough for kids to walk to it I could see it being a cool hang out and maybe somebody was carving there initials into the rocks. However if that’s on property that you have permission to dig and sift I would absolutely spend a lot of time there digging near the overhangs there’s some really great videos on YouTube of people doing that and finding killer artifacts and some of them are down really deep.

That’s where the best stuff is! A lot of the time the limestone ceilings break off and cover a large area of the original shelter. Makes it extremely difficult to get down below that point. Hands down my favorite spots to hunt!
 
Today we found couple other points at overhang where I found other one. Bro found small point and I found the longer thin one. Looks like morel mushroom to meImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583367089.838534.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583367112.914754.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583367130.087987.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583367152.823477.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583367198.590317.webp
 
Interesting finds
 
deleted. Figured the thread was about the petroglyph.
 
Last edited:
Here’s some petroglyphs in a bluff shelter that was unmolested by man until 1995 when the U of A went out there and dug it out. I remember as a kid going out there and they would let you help. Right on top of it is a old two lane road, and all these years they’ve not been destroyed IMG_6130.webpIMG_6129.webpIMG_6128.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom