Indian Rock Circles.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I conducted extensive aerial photo checks of the desert just East of the Colorado River recently. I have found some Rock Circles made by Indians of the area hundreds of years ago! Here are three of them that are close together.
Rock Circles.jpg

Archaeology books that I have call these circles "sleeping circles", although their exact purpose is unknown.
I visited these circles recently. It was 104 degrees the evening I took these photos so I did not stay long.

The largest one is about 15 feet across
Rock circle 1.JPG

Rock circle number 2 is 10 feet across.
Rock circle 2.JPG

The smallest is about 8 feet across.
Rock Circle 3.JPG

That is an ancient Indian trail you see in the last pic! All the rocks in these circles are covered with desert varnish indicating they lay undisturbed for hundreds of years! Neat! This is the same area that I have found pieces of pottery and "knapping" chips, indicating old Indian activity. This is the ancestral home of the Quechan Indians of Southeastern California and Southwestern Arizona. I will be in the area looking for more Indian sign! ╦╦C

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty cool TC. I was searching an area I find artifacts by satellite view and I was pretty sure I was seeing a very faint long lost road that ran up into a hill were I believe the Indians camped, because of all the chips and artifacts I've found on the hill that overlooks two creek systems. I'm not sure if this once used pathways was Indian or early white settlers used or both?. In this picture you can see the pathways on how the grass grew taller from the ground being tilled by either horses and or wagons. This path follows the high ground of the smaller creek and disappears were modern development has erased any evidence of where this path went. That satellite imaging is a pretty slick feature of our modern times and a great way to check out things out from above.

Attachments

• land mark old trail.jpg
    land mark old trail.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats pretty cool TC. I was searching an area I find artifacts by satellite view and I was pretty sure I was seeing a very faint long lost road that ran up into a hill were I believe the Indians camped, because of all the chips and artifacts I've found on the hill that overlooks two creek systems. I'm not sure if this once used pathways was Indian or early white settlers used or both?. In this picture you can see the pathways on how the grass grew taller from the ground being tilled by either horses and or wagons. This path follows the high ground of the smaller creek and disappears were modern development has erased any evidence of where this path went. That satellite imaging is a pretty slick feature of our modern times and a great way to check out things out from above.
Yes sir! Pretty slick! Here is what appears to be an adobe foundation with possibly a rock circle nearby. I will have to get permission to cross private land to get to this site. Would be neat if it is also very old! ╦╦C
Adobe foundation.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When an Indian put up a teepee they put rocks around the bottom to seal the walls to the ground to keep out the weather and also hold the teepee in place against wind. Gary

teepee.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When an Indian put up a teepee they put rocks around the bottom to seal the walls to the ground to keep out the weather and also hold the teepee in place against wind. Gary

View attachment 1837824
Point well made, Gary. I discount this possibility for two reasons. First, most of these rock circles are not large enough to accommodate a teepee. Second, teepees are plains Indians' shelters, where they had plenty of bison and poles. May I also add that the rocks are a modern day interpretation of what a teepee should have? The open plains had no rocks, for the most part. The bottom would have been held down with sod, if at all. ╦╦C

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I would think was teepee rings. I don't know how large you think they would be, but temporary hunting camps might have smaller ones. We have teepee rings here in the mountains and they are only about 8 foot across. On the plains, they did understand the concept of stakes in place of rocks. After trade came in, they were able to trade for iron stakes. You could put a small rock or marble in the tent wall, wrap that with a tie, and run the tie out to the stake. That's how I did my teepee on the plains, which was an 18 footer. In most historical photos of plains teepees I don't notice any tie downs or rocks around the edge. The way they're set up, they're very sturdy. Mine, with tie downs, withstood 50mph winds once. It did move about 6 inches off center though. Cool pics!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing I would think was teepee rings. I don't know how large you think they would be, but temporary hunting camps might have smaller ones. We have teepee rings here in the mountains and they are only about 8 foot across. On the plains, they did understand the concept of stakes in place of rocks. After trade came in, they were able to trade for iron stakes. You could put a small rock or marble in the tent wall, wrap that with a tie, and run the tie out to the stake. That's how I did my teepee on the plains, which was an 18 footer. In most historical photos of plains teepees I don't notice any tie downs or rocks around the edge. The way they're set up, they're very sturdy. Mine, with tie downs, withstood 50mph winds once. It did move about 6 inches off center though. Cool pics!
Very informative, RGINN. I might also add that the areas along the Colorado River, including the areas all the way through Arizona and the four corners area, the methods used for shelter were either adobe or rock structures, which they had in abundance. Those shelters considered "temporary" were mostly of grasses and mud. Father Kino and others that explored these areas in the late 16th century and early 17th century, never mentioned any teepees (thipi/tipi). ╦╦C

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right on that TerryC. Different parts of the country would use different types of shelter, mostly what was at hand and what they could throw up quick just for a temporary stay. Those Apaches got by pretty good with just brush shelters. Most people were probably just like me if they were just passing through and just sleep on the ground. Finding a dry spot on the ground with no rocks or ant dens, haha!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right on that TerryC. Different parts of the country would use different types of shelter, mostly what was at hand and what they could throw up quick just for a temporary stay. Those Apaches got by pretty good with just brush shelters. Most people were probably just like me if they were just passing through and just sleep on the ground. Finding a dry spot on the ground with no rocks or ant dens, haha!
I'm glad you mention the Apaches! They were so "mobile" that, I believe I read, they were not even part of the Arizona archaeological record for more than a hundred years after coming south to AZ! They left no trace of their presence here. Now THAT is the ultimate mobile society! ╦╦C

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good info, RGINN. Interesting. From Terry's original post on down, pre-historic artifacts I'm happy to learn about. Thanks! Good stuff.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are three more rock circles. Near the Colorado River. I fully expect to find many more.
Rock circles.jpg ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a very complete rock circle. Number 34 that I've found in the area. It is 1/2 mile west of the Colorado, which means it's in CA. This one is a very nice one. I'm sure there are many more!
Rock circle 34.jpg ╦╦C

EDIT: I just noticed that there might be TWO MORE rock circles in the lower right corner of this pic!! NEAT!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you that are wondering what all those white "dots" are all over the desert, they are dried "puddles" where rainwater stood. They are all over most deserts but only visible against a contrasting backround. In this case, rocks covered with dark desert varnish. The rain comes down very heavy and settles into these puddles. The violent drumming of the rain agitates the sand and causes the sand to seep up above the pebbles, similar to what you would get if you repeatedly slapped the wet sand to make the sand and water rise to the top of the puddle. These white dots form in the depressions on the level desert surface. They will not form on sloping lands. After the rain dries, the sand is now above the pebbles underneath. Many of these dots have multiple trails connecting them, caused by the burros that visit them for the water.
puddles.jpg ╦╦C

Last edited:

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. There's a LOT more geoglyphs in the southwest than what is generally published. Even the more widely known and published ones, like the Blythe Intaglios, the Bouse Fisherman, The Twins, etc. aren't very well known (in general). There are mounds, circles, lines, anthropomorphic & zoomorphic figures all across the southwest. I believe one of the main reasons for keeping many of them "hush hush" is that too many idiots go out and destroy them.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing. There's a LOT more geoglyphs in the southwest than what is generally published. Even the more widely known and published ones, like the Blythe Intaglios, the Bouse Fisherman, The Twins, etc. aren't very well known (in general). There are mounds, circles, lines, anthropomorphic & zoomorphic figures all across the southwest. I believe one of the main reasons for keeping many of them "hush hush" is that too many idiots go out and destroy them.
I like your post! Thx. I am discovering much of this by simply being there...on the ground. Finding one site leads to another then another. Before you know it, The BIG PICTURE hits you like a ton of bricks (adobe bricks, of course). I have informed the AZ State Univ., local Indian tribe, and others but none seem to care! None have shown any interest in my concerns to protect these sites! I believe one site I found is a grave. Most of these sites are hidden in plain site. That is to say, they are in such remote areas that very few have the ambition or endurance to visit them. I also believe their remoteness will keep them safe...for the most part. Wilderness laws mean those that visit these sites MUST do it on foot or horseback. A definite deterrent. I recently visited the petroglyphs and settlements up in the Cabeza Prieta Wilderness. Eight miles in and eight miles out. On foot! Potsherds all over the place. Safe by virtue of its location. And, of course, MANY border patrols and rangers driving around. I just turned 71. These desert ramblings for me keep the weight down and the heart health up! Tnx for the response! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you in NV? I just went to Pahrump to pick up a Rokon I purchased. I will soon post the wild horses of the area and GOODYGUY who rode it with me near Kingman, AZ. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your post! Thx. I am discovering much of this by simply being there...on the ground. Finding one site leads to another then another. Before you know it, The BIG PICTURE hits you like a ton of bricks (adobe bricks, of course). I have informed the AZ State Univ., local Indian tribe, and others but none seem to care! None have shown any interest in my concerns to protect these sites! I believe one site I found is a grave. Most of these sites are hidden in plain site. That is to say, they are in such remote areas that very few have the ambition or endurance to visit them. I also believe their remoteness will keep them safe...for the most part. Wilderness laws mean those that visit these sites MUST do it on foot or horseback. A definite deterrent. I recently visited the petroglyphs and settlements up in the Cabeza Prieta Wilderness. Eight miles in and eight miles out. On foot! Potsherds all over the place. Safe by virtue of its location. And, of course, MANY border patrols and rangers driving around. I just turned 71. These desert ramblings for me keep the weight down and the heart health up! Tnx for the response! ╦╦C

I went to your website, MCX. NICE! People need to see it. Here's a free plug... https://www.talesfromthedesert.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread