Indian waybill... Caney Creek.. Elliott County Kentucky..

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GH,

You are right about the spring at the bottom of the cliff being an Indian mine from the way bill, and very near it is the Elipe rock Mason mentions, did you notice the big rock with the map carved on it? If you go downstream form the Caney Boat ramp, you will pass a huge rock on the left up on the bank, as soon as you get past it there is a big one in the creek, kind of flat.... rockmap one.JPG its the one with the map, almost gone now.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The symbols are telling you to go between two hills or up a certain hollow, then so far then to a hole...I think it could be Indian, but its too detailed, could be Spanish, one symbol is someone with a bow, another is not distinguishable...the dashed lines could be so many vara-Spanish measurement, or Rods-older American measurement. The symbols that look like a large I could be cliffs. Its odd that the symbols Boomer talks about with the bow drawn on the crane seems to fit this as the symbol (next to last) seems to be someone with a bow. The bow could be a pick in this case. There is terrene that fits, but I didn't find a mine exactly there.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone hope your well. I went to what is known as the Silver Mine Rock House with my wife and daughter today. Is it in remote Laurel Creek in Elliott County. There is a story written about it and was mined by a man named John Boykens I believe. Michael Henson had the story in his blue book (can’t remember the name.) Anyway there are tunnels dug into it and many carvings. There is actually a beautiful carving of a coiled snake I found years ago but couldn’t find it today! A lot of moss on the rocks now and it was getting dark. There is also an X carved in another rock but there was a large hornet or bee nest on the ground in front of it. I stayed away from that part lol. Anyways here’s carvings on other rocks; they may be modern but some look older. I’m sure there are many more but again due to light issues ha ha 5BE38690-D535-4F2F-B04E-698704CDD0F7.jpeg A9689766-E186-4176-812D-969807C98E28.jpg 461CC11B-1F2A-4428-8840-EB56BD665C6A.jpeg 246F5D7A-4BF0-49EA-ACB9-3B039A3B1F4A.jpeg

Attachments

• 171131A3-98CA-48E7-A211-18E48E65596A.jpeg
    171131A3-98CA-48E7-A211-18E48E65596A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 187
  • 56CF41AB-E59C-4675-B33D-85CA21680B84.jpeg
    56CF41AB-E59C-4675-B33D-85CA21680B84.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • 9192F894-BF50-4A43-8BE8-DEE11C7E6FA3.jpeg
    9192F894-BF50-4A43-8BE8-DEE11C7E6FA3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 188
  • 787A288F-60D0-4A62-A98B-90FB9C066F5D.jpg
    787A288F-60D0-4A62-A98B-90FB9C066F5D.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 191
  • 9E1B2F05-7E32-49B7-ACBE-C26817A7CA05.jpeg
    9E1B2F05-7E32-49B7-ACBE-C26817A7CA05.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • 93817BCC-6E69-418E-8313-85F6113B307B.jpeg
    93817BCC-6E69-418E-8313-85F6113B307B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 242

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone hope your well. I went to what is known as the Silver Mine Rock House with my wife and daughter today. Is it in remote Laurel Creek in Elliott County. There is a story written about it and was mined by a man named John Boykens I believe. Michael Henson had the story in his blue book (can’t remember the name.) Anyway there are tunnels dug into it and many carvings. There is actually a beautiful carving of a coiled snake I found years ago but couldn’t find it today! A lot of moss on the rocks now and it was getting dark. There is also an X carved in another rock but there was a large hornet or bee nest on the ground in front of it. I stayed away from that part lol. Anyways here’s carvings on other rocks; they may be modern but some look older. I’m sure there are many more but again due to light issues ha ha View attachment 1846986 View attachment 1846987 View attachment 1846988 View attachment 1846989

Wow it was 94F here and it drained me to push mow our 1/2 acre yard...I hope you had plenty of water, the heat was oppressive...was it a far hike? Looks like an interesting place to visit for sure.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was brutal out! But yes we packed water and we walked through the creek most of the way so that helped keep us cool. It’s about an hour walk.

QUOTE=KY Hiker;6544984]Wow it was 94F here and it drained me to push mow our 1/2 acre yard...I hope you had plenty of water, the heat was oppressive...was it a far hike? Looks like an interesting place to visit for sure.[/QUOTE]

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Any updates on this thread? Im on property of laurel creek in elliott county. We have many intersting spots in the rockhouses and cliffs here. Also have some carvings that may tie in with this thread. I will locate pics and add later on.
Heres a pic of large letter carved in back of waterfall
Cave. Really cut in there and its about a foot tall 8 inches wide. Posted pic on here long ago on another thread. Never put it together, but maybe …also posting a pic of the frozen waterfall underneath, its about a 60 ft waterfall. We saw a face in the frozen fall that day. Was powerful, watched us no matter where we went down there. Whatcha think. Zoom in on frozen water. We all saw it that day

Attachments

• 05D036E1-D0F9-4C95-9099-9659FA30C7F9.jpeg
    05D036E1-D0F9-4C95-9099-9659FA30C7F9.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 6A14B40A-3714-43A1-A179-9D8E6BC22179.jpeg
    6A14B40A-3714-43A1-A179-9D8E6BC22179.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 70

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Interesting thread, I sometimes forget how much there has been found in the Caney Creek area. Our old friend Boomer had so many things in that area to check out. Someone asked last year about a carving in the area, just read it...I think they ae referring to the Crane carving. It's located at the junction of Caney and Little Sandy. If you left the Caney boat ramp as soon as you turn left at the little sandy it's on your left. Getting very faded, couldn't have found it without several emails form Boomer. If the revivor is at summer level its almost in the water. As an aside, there is a faded map carving as soon as you leave the Caney boat ramp and pass the big rock on your left (looks like a Buffaloe laying down) not more than 50 yards there is a large flat rock...we used to call it the turtle back rock...it can be slightly under water when the revivor is summer height..on top of it is a map and it has figures carved into it. I had talked to the people at the Falls of the Ohio about getting it protected, but the Army Corps of engineers never returned my call about it...so before its totally gone maybe someone can decipher it. It has hash marks that i presume are paces or if its Spanish maybe Strada, English maybe rods, anyway it has some figures, one looks like an Indian holding a bow...another has what looks like a upside don L the hash marks go past carvings of what i think are hills or hollows, then turns right and goes into a hole. These were pretty plane in the 1980s, but boats and their props are taking a toll on it, as is the up and down of the reservoir level. That acts like sandpaper on the rock.

If anyone has questions about the Indian Waybill just PM me...I have found all of them...there are 6. Wrote a short story about them. Seems Boomers Waybill and the one published in a magazine by Henson are slightly different. The Indian and i must have the same stride as when he gives a number of paces they are exactly right! For those just getting interested you have to keep in mind the Indians references to landmarks are different than ours. I fell in love with that area the first time i visited! I live near Cincinnati so its a good 2 and a half hours to get there, and since the girls are grown i don't get there much, I met Brushy Bandit there and we did some exploring, he is the only one that has found any silver as far as i know. But the aviator/inventor Mathew Bacon Sellers found 13 Spanish silver coins there in the early 1900s.

I have a theory about a the Indian that came from the resettlement in Oklahoma area, he had retrieved a mule load of silver coins from somewhere around the Sandy Hook area and was murdered. He was a nephew of cornstalk if I remember right. He had got a map from the grandson of Blue Jacket. Anyway, it was strange that when the Indian was murdered, a family in that area suddenly left, then almost a generation later some returned with some wealth...Hmmm...the Waybill that Boomer had came from the same family he said an old lady from Florida had got in touch with him and had the waybill. There is more to it but i don't want to embarrass the family.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a pic of large letter carved in back of waterfall
Cave. Really cut in there and its about a foot tall 8 inches wide. Posted pic on here long ago on another thread. Never put it together, but maybe …also posting a pic of the frozen waterfall underneath, its about a 60 ft waterfall. We saw a face in the frozen fall that day. Was powerful, watched us no matter where we went down there. Whatcha think. Zoom in on frozen water. We all saw it that day
Hey man love the pics! Thats an interesting carving. I have been up and down Laurel Creek all my life. Ive lived in Elliot County all my life. Yes there are a lot of interesting things to be found in those cliffs.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Interesting thread, I sometimes forget how much there has been found in the Caney Creek area. Our old friend Boomer had so many things in that area to check out. Someone asked last year about a carving in the area, just read it...I think they ae referring to the Crane carving. It's located at the junction of Caney and Little Sandy. If you left the Caney boat ramp as soon as you turn left at the little sandy it's on your left. Getting very faded, couldn't have found it without several emails form Boomer. If the revivor is at summer level its almost in the water. As an aside, there is a faded map carving as soon as you leave the Caney boat ramp and pass the big rock on your left (looks like a Buffaloe laying down) not more than 50 yards there is a large flat rock...we used to call it the turtle back rock...it can be slightly under water when the revivor is summer height..on top of it is a map and it has figures carved into it. I had talked to the people at the Falls of the Ohio about getting it protected, but the Army Corps of engineers never returned my call about it...so before its totally gone maybe someone can decipher it. It has hash marks that i presume are paces or if its Spanish maybe Strada, English maybe rods, anyway it has some figures, one looks like an Indian holding a bow...another has what looks like a upside don L the hash marks go past carvings of what i think are hills or hollows, then turns right and goes into a hole. These were pretty plane in the 1980s, but boats and their props are taking a toll on it, as is the up and down of the reservoir level. That acts like sandpaper on the rock.

If anyone has questions about the Indian Waybill just PM me...I have found all of them...there are 6. Wrote a short story about them. Seems Boomers Waybill and the one published in a magazine by Henson are slightly different. The Indian and i must have the same stride as when he gives a number of paces they are exactly right! For those just getting interested you have to keep in mind the Indians references to landmarks are different than ours. I fell in love with that area the first time i visited! I live near Cincinnati so its a good 2 and a half hours to get there, and since the girls are grown i don't get there much, I met Brushy Bandit there and we did some exploring, he is the only one that has found any silver as far as i know. But the aviator/inventor Mathew Bacon Sellers found 13 Spanish silver coins there in the early 1900s.

I have a theory about a the Indian that came from the resettlement in Oklahoma area, he had retrieved a mule load of silver coins from somewhere around the Sandy Hook area and was murdered. He was a nephew of cornstalk if I remember right. He had got a map from the grandson of Blue Jacket. Anyway, it was strange that when the Indian was murdered, a family in that area suddenly left, then almost a generation later some returned with some wealth...Hmmm...the Waybill that Boomer had came from the same family he said an old lady from Florida had got in touch with him and had the waybill. There is more to it but i don't want to embarrass the family.
Curtis I know the big rock you are talking about after you leave the Caney book dock. I would like to find that carving of the map you mention! I have always been tempted to try and climb that rock and look for carvings. It has stuck out to me since I was a kid. I have followed the Waybill for many years as you know; I cannot find all 6 mines. It seems like one should be up Big Caney Creek in knoll somewhere. Have you found them all from the boat dock down? Man I miss old Boomer. He had a different way of researching that was thought provoking. He seen things in a different way. A lot of us guys who were here 11 or 12 years ago are not on here anymore. This thread used to be pretty hopping.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Hey man love the pics! Thats an interesting carving. I have been up and down Laurel Creek all my life. Ive lived in Elliot County all my life. Yes there are a lot of interesting things to be found in those cliffs.
Thanks for looking. Im over off devils fork closer to west liberty side of the county. I havent been down the creeks by the heritage center but i plan to take kyack there this spring and do some searching. Great thread, and awesome the ancient folks were thriving in this area for so long. Quite a record up in the overhangs and cliffs we are surrounded by

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread