Info on salt water detector

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I spend the winter on Tybee Island. Where do you plan to use the detector?

I'll be there in October. Maybe we can detect somewhere?

Daryl

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors are fine in the dry sand, but the wet sand or water calls for either a PI type detector or one with a saltwater mode.

PI detectors are very deep, but almost no discrimination so you'd be digging deep holes for small bits of iron, like bread wrappers. Examples are Whites Surf Pro PI, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Infinium LS, and Sea Hunter Mark II. There are a couple other brands, but I'd stick to the major ones.

Saltwater modes are great as some are switchable and fixed. Fisher CZ20, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID. The Tiger Share has lifetime warranty and you can change coils to suit the hunt.

Then there is the Minelab Excal that totally ignores iron, and salt together. With 17 Freq. it can find a gold ring under a large nail, where other detectors null on the iron and don't see the ring. Lots of water hunters swear by them and not at them. The Excal 1000 is almost as deep as a PI, but with discrimination. You can dive with it to 250 foot too. I hope I didn't miss any, as I haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
BioProfessor said:
I spend the winter on Tybee Island. Where do you plan to use the detector?

I'll be there in October. Maybe we can detect somewhere?

Daryl

LOL, Daryl, I was thinking of Tybee Island. ;D I honesly do not know when I would buy one but I had my MXT on the north beach near the light house.

We will definately have to meet up. I have been doing a lot of research lately and think I might have found an interesting place in the woods.

Mike

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Daryl, I sent you an e-mail. lol

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my Whites Surf PI Pro 4 times in the surf, it does work great. Not a big enough crowd to loose good jewelry though. Ocean City, MD is hunted hard, at least the dry sand. I have not hit the tide just right yet. I seem to be an hour or two off or there is a strong on shore breeze. I will be patient.

Ed D.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Ed, I was thinking of staying with Whites but am not dead set on it. Also, I have been looking up the tide tables for my area to try and hit the beaches when there is a low tide. I actually have been walking the mouth of the Savannah river at low tide but not finding too much with just the ol' eye! lol ;D

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
BioProfessor said:
If you look ANYTHING like your avitar, I ain't meetin' you in the woods. ;D

Daryl

Daryl, I do not know if this link will work, I can not see pics online at work so if it does not work I am sorry.

Here is a link to pic's of me and my son Wade. Like I said, I am not a small guy by no means and I stand 6 foot tall. Not trying to scare you lol, but you'll be glad I am with you if we have a mean biker type on the beach cussing at us LOL ;D sorry, a reference to another post lol.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,78999.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread