Information on Pedigree Whiskey Bottle?

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I made an account here just to post this. Since I'm new, I apologize if I'm not following the format correctly or should post elsewhere. I've come across this bottle of Pedigree Whiskey produced by Seagrams and am looking for any relevant information, such as date it was bottled and how much it's worth. The bottle is FULL and still sealed (if that isn't a testament to my self-control, I don't know what is). On the underside, you can see a diamond with the letter "D" inside the diamond. I've taken some photos here: liquor - Imgur

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
The “D within a diamond” mark was reportedly first used by Dominion in 1928 and was used at least into the 1970s or 1980s.

I have not seen a bottle that matches yours It has to be 28 or later because of the dominion glass mark and 28 is when they opened in Montreal .

The latest Ive seen pedigree was 1957.

I might be able to give you more information If I could taste it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The “D within a diamond” mark was reportedly first used by Dominion in 1928 and was used at least into the 1970s or 1980s.

I have not seen a bottle that matches yours It has to be 28 or later because of the dominion glass mark and 28 is when they opened in Montreal .

The latest Ive seen pedigree was 1957.

I might be able to give you more information If I could taste it.

Awesome, this is some great information and a great place to start! Also, another Ohioan! I'm in Cleveland, myself. If this bottle isn't worth enough to pay off my student loans, maybe we could share!

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello pedigree,

Welcome to the TNet and thanks for showing us some images of your bottle.

I believe the "D in a diamond" mark, in this bottle's case was a Dominion predecessor, Diamond Glass Co.

"Diamond with a “D” inside…………….Diamond Glass Company/Dominion Glass Company, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. See “D in a diamond” entry." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~ PAGE TWO

I see no "Federal Law Forbids…" language on your bottle. The spiderweb design was a popular pre Prohibition motif. I see the seals are broken. Is there any date information on the remnants? How about a better view(s) of the cap? What is that hanging tab?

j5TxII6.jpg

DisplaySpider.jpg

"Gene Joo of Burlington NC with his amazing display of spider web whiskey flasks." Southeast Bottle Club - July/August 2003 Newsletter

I don't think you have too worry too much about a high value on this. Though you might check with Wanted : Old and Rare Whiskies and Other Spirits : The Whisky Exchange

"Canadian whiskies are quite abundant, but because they are blended they tend not to change from one year to the next. This reduces the value significantly since the perception is that something bottles in 1951 would taste the same as a 2005 bottling. That is the goal of blending, a consistent flavour from one generation to the next. So a bottle of 1974 Seagrams VO might not be worth anything, but perhaps a bottle of Crown Royal from the 1940's or very early 1950's might have some value. Again, it is not going to fetch you a lot of money but you may get double the going rate for a current bottle of Crown Royal. Extinct Canadian whisky, like Canadian Masterpiece Whisky, may be worth more but the trouble is finding a buyer." Old Unopened Bottles of Whiskey :: Art of Drink

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of years ago I found a bottle of crown royal that was bottled in 1970.It wasnt really worth much except the current price.I learned once whiskys and such are bottled they no longer age,it has to be in the barrel to do its proper aging.I drank it lol.

Upvote 0

Bleakster

Sep 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was wondering how much that bourbon whiskey is cuz I got the complete bottle in the can with the key 20160926_134819.jpg

Upvote 0

cgeig49

Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realizing that the above post is almost 5 years old, but still hoping for a response. I have a very similar bottle of Seagram's Pedigree, unopened; date on the liquor license seal is 1928, the numbers on the left side of the paper seal read 36-0125029, 2446785 on the back side of the paper seal. The back side of the bottle, does include the language "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS THE SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE". Also still visible is the 10-cent liquor control stamp from the State of Missouri on the front of the bottle, just overlapping the top of the Seagram's Pedigree label. The bottom of the bottle reads Joseph E Seagram and Sons Limited 4 Canada, with the D inside a diamond, followed by US Patent Pending.

Any thoughts/input on this would be greatly appreciated --- hang on to this as is, or open and enjoy??

Hello pedigree,

Welcome to the TNet and thanks for showing us some images of your bottle.

I believe the "D in a diamond" mark, in this bottle's case was a Dominion predecessor, Diamond Glass Co.

"Diamond with a “D” inside…………….Diamond Glass Company/Dominion Glass Company, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. See “D in a diamond” entry." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~ PAGE TWO

I see no "Federal Law Forbids…" language on your bottle. The spiderweb design was a popular pre Prohibition motif. I see the seals are broken. Is there any date information on the remnants? How about a better view(s) of the cap? What is that hanging tab?

View attachment 924596

"Gene Joo of Burlington NC with his amazing display of spider web whiskey flasks." Southeast Bottle Club - July/August 2003 Newsletter

I don't think you have too worry too much about a high value on this. Though you might check with Wanted : Old and Rare Whiskies and Other Spirits : The Whisky Exchange

"Canadian whiskies are quite abundant, but because they are blended they tend not to change from one year to the next. This reduces the value significantly since the perception is that something bottles in 1951 would taste the same as a 2005 bottling. That is the goal of blending, a consistent flavour from one generation to the next. So a bottle of 1974 Seagrams VO might not be worth anything, but perhaps a bottle of Crown Royal from the 1940's or very early 1950's might have some value. Again, it is not going to fetch you a lot of money but you may get double the going rate for a current bottle of Crown Royal. Extinct Canadian whisky, like Canadian Masterpiece Whisky, may be worth more but the trouble is finding a buyer." Old Unopened Bottles of Whiskey :: Art of Drink

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old bottle good to check it out .

Upvote 0