Insane Rhode Island Fluted Marbled Rhyolite/chert

edgychris401

Greenie
Jun 23, 2023
Hi folks,

I am still seeking info on this find from a couple years back. This point doesnt belong in RI. All characteristics are wrong. I am leaning towards a Rare RI Kirk Point. Check the chert embedded in the Rhyolite. I think thats why there is no flute on that side. The Natives wanted to preserve that cool piece of chert. Any thoughts? Thankks for the peek.

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_161924.jpg
    IMG_20230624_161924.jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230624_161931.jpg
    IMG_20230624_161931.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20230624_161922.jpg
    IMG_20230624_161922.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230624_161928.jpg
    IMG_20230624_161928.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 7
That is a cool looking point. I'm not sure how or why the knapper put a flute on just that one side but it certainly adds to the personality of that point. Very nice find.

Nice point. Looks like a chert and the flute is probably a large thinning flake. Probably hit it to hard to remove the stack. I have a Pickwick that looks like a flute also but I’m sure due to the age it’s just a thinning flake. The only other reason it could be if yours or mine is a older point that has been modified later to what was needed by a later culture but it would be hard to prove unless the flaking was different from scattered. It’s nice either way. Thanks for showing it.

Nice point. Looks like a chert and the flute is probably a large thinning flake. Probably hit it to hard to remove the stack. I have a Pickwick that looks like a flute also but I’m sure due to the age it’s just a thinning flake. The only other reason it could be if yours or mine is a older point that has been modified later to what was needed by a later culture but it would be hard to prove unless the flaking was different from scattered. It’s nice either way. Thanks for showing it.
That is great input thanks

This pooint appers to be one knapped but never used. The canted base was what they built. Do not see signs or a rebuild here. Thanks for input.

I like the clovis story however this is dispersed flaking not parallel at all. Doesnt mean woodland either.

I revisit a lot of my finds too.

The more I look at it though, the more I think Creekside and dognose are on track.
I think that tough piece of local Rhyolite may have given the maker serious trouble.
It doesn’t represent any Paleo form though. And it’s much too thick to have been a fluted point, found by a later culture and converted into a stemmed point. More likely an original archaic or woodland point.
Rather than deliberate, the base likely snapped during thinning and an attempt was made to salvage.
If you’re correct, and (hard to know for sure) the point was never used. It could have been discarded.

Last edited:
I revisit a lot of my finds too.

The more I look at it though, the more I think Creekside and dognose are on track.
I think that tough piece of local Rhyolite may have given the maker serious trouble.
It doesn’t represent any Paleo form though. And it’s much to thick to have been a fluted point, found by a later culture and converted into a stemmed point. More likely an original archaic or woodland point.
Rather than deliberate, the base likely snapped during thinning and an attempt was made to salvage.
If you’re correct, and (hard to know for sure) the point was never used. It could have been discarded.
That's what I have thought ever since I first laid eyes on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back