Detector mom
Full Member
- Joined
- Oct 5, 2011
- Messages
- 129
- Reaction score
- 268
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Northern NJ
- Detector(s) used
- white's mdx 300; simplex plus
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. What is material? Is it Ferrous or nonferrous? I love history, don't you?Heavy metal with a nice green patina. It seems whole. The little holes and cut increments are intriguing. Or maybe it’s just horse tack.
Great guess Creskol. That never occurred to me.I don't think it is a reed of any sort, but it may be a tailpiece off of an 8-string mandolin.


Thanks for sharing. What is material? Is it Ferrous or nonferrous? I love history, don't you?
That would be cool 😎I don't think it is a reed of any sort, but it may be a tailpiece off of an 8-string mandolin.
Love your quote btwI don't think it is a reed of any sort, but it may be a tailpiece off of an 8-string mandolin.
Thank you. I’m running out of permissions and the ground is frozen so I’ve been going thru finds and cleaning them up, etc. Amazing how stuff you overlooked turns out to be Interesting after all. 🙂Detector Mom,you find the neatest stuff.Way to go!
Hmmmm. Not sure. And YES history rocksThanks for sharing. What is material? Is it Ferrous or nonferrous? I love history, don't you?
). I've given two 5-string banjos away in the past--one to my cousin for display in his man cave and one to a young teenaged girl wanting to learn how to play. I've also sold one to my brother-in-law (and yes, I did give him the brother-in-law price!). Not the most impressive "credentials" but I'm no rookie when it comes to these instruments. As far as banjo's go, they have either 4 strings (tenor) or 5 strings (bluegrass) except for the earliest, rudimentary ones. The 8 holes in your piece look too crude and widely spaced for it to be the tailpiece to a mandolin although they do add up to the correct number but disqualify it from being a banjo tailpiece. It looks to be too large for either purpose plus banjo tailpieces may have either 4 or 5 holes. I wish I could tell you what it is but I feel confident in telling you what it is not! I hope you find out and if it turns out that I'm wrong, I will stand corrected. I am definitely interested in what it turns out to be.I like Bear's idea best. Looks like there may have been another piece that was on top and stamped the area of the bend and covered the area with the slits and holes. A guard/housing like Bear said.SWAG ..the slits with holes ..holes to stop further encroachment of the slit ..1/2 moon shaped stamped bend in metal with slits designed to conform to a curve like an axle housing ..like a part of a body (wagon, car tractor?) to form a splash guard
WARNING: the above and 50 cents will not get you a cup of coffee
Bear


Bingo! Here's an ad from a 1917 American Pediatrics publication:
That’s something! These were supposed to make them feel better? 🤨