What's new

Interesting Bank Trip

srcdco

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
431
Reaction score
360
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago, I was making a deposit for a non-profit that I'm the treasurer of and as always I asked if they had any rolls of halves. They didn't (I've cleaned that bank out), but the teller told me that another branch had "a ton" of halves, but that they aren't open on Saturdays.
Last Friday I stopped there and asked if I could buy the halves. The teller and I went back and forth several times with the "How many do you want?" / "How many do you have?" exchange, until she finally said "I can't tell you that". So I asked for $300 and she went into the vault and brought them out. I had to supply my own bag. It's a good thing I carry one with me. I gave her the cash, she took my name and entered it into the computer, and I asked how many they have left. Her answer was "This is a bank, I can't tell you that". I then asked how will I know how much to buy next time and her response was "You tell us what you want and we'll get it". I've never run into anyone that was so secretive about how many halves they had in the vault. It was strange.
I'm going to stop there tonight and pick up more. I only found three 40% silver halves out of the $300, but that indicated to me that they weren't already searched. Plus it beat the one 40% silver half that I got out of my $500 box.

Scott
 
Upvote 0
I've had that happen to me at a few of the smaller banks around here. Those are the ones you would expect to want to get rid of them. Good luck with the other halves there.

Jim
 
My regular bank I have been at for 30 years just changed vault tellers. She wouldn't tell me what she had either. She said it wa for seurity reasons. I bought $600, all dumps.
 
You can either make multiple trips, bring $300 or so each time until they run out. Or, if your wallet will allow, bring, say, $2000 with you and ask for that much. Eventually they will have to say "we don't have that many".

In the meantime, good luck.
 
I mean, I could understand it if you were asking how much in twenties or hundreds, but halves? I mean, what are you gonna do, go in and rob them of all their halves? Couldn't you see some moron robber trying to lug out $1500 in half dollars? ::)

HH,
Wally
 
wallyblackburn said:
Couldn't you see some moron robber trying to lug out $1500 in half dollars? ::)
It's hard enough for this moron to drag out 2 boxes, that's 52 lbs...................LOL
 
sneak said:
Just tell her you want all of them! Problem solved! ;) ;D
That is my motto!
I go in and buy everything that way if there are dumps there I can still possibly hit what the dumper dumped on top of, it has payed off big time in the past. Get them things out of the vaults and back to the feds :)
Best Regards, Ray
 
I stopped again last Friday and got another $300. This time I had a different teller and I asked her how much was left. Not only did she tell me ($280), she got the vault sheet out in front of me to look it up! I'll pick up the last of it this Friday. Once again, I got three 40% silver halves out of the $300, plus two proofs (1971-s and 1985-s). One of the rolls had an Anthony dollar in it in place of a half, so I made 50 cents profit there, too.

Scott
 
Well, I picked up the remaining $280. They were glad to be rid of them. I did find another 6 40% silver halves, all 1968-D. That makes my total for the entire $880 12 40% silver and 2 proof halves. It's not a great percentage, but it's better than the boxes have been. My box from the bank was a skunk. Today, when I deposited the halves at another bank, I noticed a silver half in the teller's tray and offered to take both halves off her hands "so she wouldn't have to keep counting them". She was glad to be rid of them (she will transfer the $500 to the head teller, so she won't have to count them, either). She did stop and look at the silver one, briefly, before putting on the counter. I gave her a dollar and took the two halves. One was a 1972, the other, a 1964! That's the first 90% half that I've got from a bank since June. I've found 4 Walking Liberty halves with the metal detector in that time.

Scott
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom