Interesting Building Cache: Entire 2nd Story!

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
She says she's "not that interested in old stuff", but I wonder if she has a clue to the value? How can you not know an entire story in a building is there? When I bought my house one of the first things I did was go into the attic and look for a basement. What ever happened to simple curiosity? What do you want to bet that they don't explore the walls or look too hard for other hidden items in this house?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1120AP_Buildings_Secret.html
Tuesday, January 3, 2006 ? Last updated 2:27 p.m. PT
Building owners find hidden second story
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

EVANSVILLE, Ind. -- A couple touring an old office building they hoped to buy made a shocking find - the structure's second story had been sealed off from the world for some 70 years.

Lincoln and Lucille York Christensen bought the building last summer after discovering that a stairway passage to the second floor had been removed and the floor closed off.

Although most of the hidden floor's furnishings had been removed before it was sealed off, the room still offered a time capsule to the world of the 1930s.

A stack of canceled checks, all dated between June and December 1930, had been left on one of the two fireplace mantels, drawn on the account of the E.M. Bush Hardware Co. - a dealer in cutlery, tools and builders hardware.

Underneath the stack of checks was a ledger book, all entries in pencil.

The floor had three doors with frosted glass panels and overhead transoms labeled: "Receptionist - Come In," "Consultation Room. Private," and "Chemical Laboratory."

The floor was fitted with ceiling light fixtures designed for both electric and gas lights and contained a heavy wooden display rack like those seen at hardware counters of the era.

Lucille York Christensen said she and her husband, who will turn the floor into a loft apartment where they'll live, plan to keep some of the woodwork and old features, but not all of them.

"I'm not that interested in old stuff," she said.

Lucille York Christensen, a yoga instructor, will locate an office on the building's ground floor for her alternative healing therapies practice.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dont stories like this just totally drive you insane.....I would be all over that building....but people do that all the time...rip and tear down history for new and shiny! Wah!

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
gypsyheart said:
Dont stories like this just totally drive you insane.....I would be all over that building....but people do that all the time...rip and tear down history for new and shiny! Wah!

And one of the more interesting clues to the history of this building is the three frosted-glass doors that were labeled: "Receptionist - Come In," "Consultation Room. Private," and "Chemical Laboratory." To me that indicates that it was a doctor's office before it was a hardware store. Who knows what you could find hidden or cast away in that lost story? If the whole story was blocked out I wouldn't be surprised if other walls were used to reconfigure the floor. There might even be whole rooms yet to be found. And if it was a doctor's office, they might find the patient records from some of Evansville's prominent citizens from the early 20th century.

slotman

Oct 30, 2005
edgewood, washington
Detector(s) used
garrett gti 2500,Tesoro, Bounty hunter
A friend of mine made a similiar find in an old building his company purchased, an entire large room with a neat working giant scale inside with a "Hitler Hater" sticker attached had been walled off for no apparent reason, it was found by accident when a hole was put in the wall, why do people do stuff like this?

chellyp

Mar 30, 2005
Northwest Oklahoma
Did anybody watch "Extreme Homes" on tv the other night? Seems a couple bought an old bank, converted it into a house. People had like 7 years to claim anything in the safety deposit boxes. After that it became property of the new owners.

They left the deposit boxes in the house - and are going through them (it looked a lot cooler than it sounds). A lot of them are emtpy, but every once in a while, they hit a good one. They are having to have the boxes drilled open. That would be a hoot!!! ;D

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
chellyp said:
Did anybody watch "Extreme Homes" on tv the other night?? Seems a couple bought an old bank, converted it into a house.? People had like 7 years to claim anything in the safety deposit boxes.? After that it became property of the new owners.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,yessssssssssssssssss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,did you see the emerald ring ??? :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread